Would You Perhaps Be Interested In A Different GX80/85 Colour Profile???

BTM_Pix

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I thought I'd give a heads up on the GX800/850/GF9(?). No-go on the Cinelikes. Just defaults to Standard. Funny enough, the hue settings adds the little +-symbol to the STD-icon, but no discernable change in image output.

No go on any MOV or higher bitrates as well. No V-log either.

Getting manual settings for video, or at least being able to set ISO manually while recording would be nice, but alas, I am unable to find any option concerning that working.

Oh well, assigning AE lock to a FN button at least allows me to lock exposure while recording. Touch exposure, which is an option in camera as well as in smartphone app (small blue + to choose area for exposure) while recording, won't do anything. Probably a bug.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Can you confirm how the video mode works for me on the GX800?

Is it a separate mode or is it just activated with the record button whatever mode you're in?

Am I right in thinking that you have exposure compensation control? 

think it might be possible to hit it with shutter/aperture/iso parameters after its been put in record mode to fake manual mode. 

I dont have one of the cameras to check it with but I can knock up an Android app next week when I get back to test this theory with if you're game to test it.

I'm surprised about the cinelike as I've even got it to go on the consumer cams like the LX15.

The only one I had an issue with was the LX100 which goes into some bizzare ultra contrast mode which is exactly he reverse of what I was after!

When you try it on the GX800 I wouldnt expect it to say cinelike but would expect it to go blank. Is it not showing any visual difference at all (even a hue shift) ?

28 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Can you confirm how the video mode works for me on the GX800?

Is it a separate mode or is it just activated with the record button whatever mode you're in?

Am I right in thinking that you have exposure compensation control? 

think it might be possible to hit it with shutter/aperture/iso parameters after its been put in record mode to fake manual mode. 

I dont have one of the cameras to check it with but I can knock up an Android app next week when I get back to test this theory with if you're game to test it.

I'm surprised about the cinelike as I've even got it to go on the consumer cams like the LX15.

The only one I had an issue with was the LX100 which goes into some bizzare ultra contrast mode which is exactly he reverse of what I was after!

When you try it on the GX800 I wouldnt expect it to say cinelike but would expect it to go blank. Is it not showing any visual difference at all (even a hue shift) ?

It's activated with the record button. Exposure compensation control... kinda. It's visible on the display while recording, but trying to change it does nothing. If changed before recording starts, the change is still active when starting the recording. Nevermind this! It's the same behavior on my GX7, just tested, so probably normal. The symbol while recording I misstook for the Exp.Comp is the exposure indicator itself... :flushed: This and the absolute weird behavior with "Touch AE"; I can activate the function, it's available in camera and in-App while recording (many other functions are disabled/greyed out while recording), the blue +-sign is visible, but it doesn't change exposure at all. Works fine for pictures, gives me this "unfinished"-feel for the software itself in the camera.

I'll see if I can find an Android device to test with, alas, I'm currently only using iOS myself. But it shouldn't be impossible! I'll check around with family and friends. Any requirements on Android OS version for the app?

Concerning Cinelike, when trying to activate it (the camera gives an OK) any previously chosen style is set to STD. Hue shifts gives STD+ (same as when changing say Contrast, or Saturation for the style), but no discernable difference in image. It should show up in pictures as well right, Cinelike not video-only or some such? I can get some example images tomorrow to make sure.

Perhaps Panasonic is on to you, and disabled it in the latest firmware? :D Beware strange dark vans lurking around your neighbourhood. Sadly, unable to test the original 1.0.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm just getting on a plane, i'll do a proper reply later.

Might be able to do a simple webpage to prove the theory if you can't get android device 

Have a safe flight!

"CinelikeD – this Style is found in the GH4 and GH5 but is a Creative Video-only style in the GH4 so it can’t be used for normal stills. It creates a very low contrast image with lifted shadows and restrained highlights that make the most of the camera’s dynamic range. It is designed for video really, as a replacement for a raw mode, but it is also very effective for stills."

Could this be a reason? Found "recmode_creative_movie" in someones "curmenu" from... I think it was a G7? Perhaps the rec mode on the GX800 doesn't count as "Creative Video". (EDIT: Grimor's GH5 here: 

Calling "http://192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=recmode_creative_movie&value=manual_exposure" gives me the error below. Does that mean that "type" is invalid, or "value"?

<camrply>
<result>err_param</result>
</camrply>

EDIT: A better command might be: http://192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=recmode&value=creative_movie which has an interesting behavior, it has a delay of around 5-10 second in the browser before the answer below pops out:

<camrply>
<result>err_reject</result>
</camrply>

I continued experimenting, thinking that perhaps Cinelike is only applicable while in video mode, seems to be set to "Standard" just as in Photo mode, but I am able to change Pictures styles on the fly even though that option is grayed out if assigned to an FN-function, tried with Monochrome.

The output from "curmenu" seems to differ if called while in Photo mode, or recording. Don't know if that indicates anything at all.

Okay, I should really go to sleep now, but poking and prodding this camera is just TOO DARN FUN!

"sensitivity_db" doesn't seem to do anything in Record mode, neither does "sensitivity" :( Gives "OK" in both cases.

"shtrspeed_angle" gives "OK", but unsure if any actual results are present. Need to test more. (180, 24fps, should that give something like 48/50 in shutter speed automatically?)

"exposure" works! So Exposure compensation on the fly works in Record mode, it's just not exposed (heh) in the GUI.

Now, bed time.

• Super Members

Use the original HTML file that I put up at the start of the thread to connect the camera over WiFi and do the handshake.

Then change the colour mode on the camera to black and white.

Start a recording and then click the Deploy or Restore.

If the camera changes to colour then that will confirm it can receive and action changes whilst recording.

Next, start a new recording and whilst its recording paste the following line into a browser tab and hit return.

http://192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=shtrspeed&value=2560/256

This should change the shutter speed to 1/1000 and if the camera actions it then you should see it go very dark!

Thats all I can do for now until I get back on Monday but give it a go and see what happens as it'll let me know if there is something to go on.

1 hour ago, AndreasS said:

"sensitivity_db" doesn't seem to do anything in Record mode, neither does "sensitivity" :( Gives "OK" in both cases.

"shtrspeed_angle" gives "OK", but unsure if any actual results are present. Need to test more. (180, 24fps, should that give something like 48/50 in shutter speed automatically?)

Those are for their camcorders (though the shutter angle is also applicable on the GH5 and FZ2000)

The camera will return OK to say it understands what you are telling it to do but it won't actually do it. Teenager mode would be an applicable word for it.

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Use the original HTML file that I put up at the start of the thread to connect the camera over WiFi and do the handshake.

Then change the colour mode on the camera to black and white.

Start a recording and then click the Deploy or Restore.

If the camera changes to colour then that will confirm it can receive and action changes whilst recording.

Next, start a new recording and whilst its recording paste the following line into a browser tab and hit return.

http://192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=shtrspeed&value=2560/256

This should change the shutter speed to 1/1000 and if the camera actions it then you should see it go very dark!

Thats all I can do for now until I get back on Monday but give it a go and see what happens as it'll let me know if there is something to go on.

Those are for their camcorders (though the shutter angle is also applicable on the GH5 and FZ2000)

The camera will return OK to say it understands what you are telling it to do but it won't actually do it. Teenager mode would be an applicable word for it.

Changing picture styles while recording works. No Cinestyle though (from what I can tell), but it changes. Tested with original file.

Shutterspeed does nothing, sadly. Tested with Flickr Decrease off, still no change. Works in photo mode.

One way to be able to set ISO could be to have Flickr Decrease on say 1/50, have a lens with Aperture control on the lens itself, old manual, open it up and point the camera at something bright. That should set the ISO to the lowest possible value, base value. Then lock the exposure with AE lock and use Exposure compensation with a phone or computer, every stop compensated upwards should then change ISO with one stop... I'd probably just go and buy an GX80 instead :P

They seem to have this little guy locked down tight. But it should be enough for my needs, I first need to learn to actually create something nice and interesting with ANY camera.

EDIT: I was wrong about http://192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=recmode&value=manual_exposure. It doesn't time out with an error message, only if I push a button on the camera itself does it give "err_rejected".

Sending a value that is just a made up word gives "err_param" but any value from Grimors GH5s curmenu, like "creative_movie", "program_ae", "aperture_ae", "shutter_ae" or "manual_exposure" gives the same result; the page loading for infinity.

It's like the camera tries to do something, but locks up (not camera itself, just the command-part. Cannot send another command until I push a button and get an error on the looping one) and never finishes, until I release it by pressing a button. Never seen that kind of behavior in ANY other command. It either fails (err_param) or "OK" as an answer. Never thinking this long to try to process it.

I wonder what would happen if one would send that to a camera with a "working" movie mode, GX80 or somesuch. Does it accept the command and do some changes, or does it just freeze up as well? Gut feeling: They REALLY went to down when locking down the GX800s video mode.

1 hour ago, AndreasS said:

I wonder what would happen if one would send that to a camera with a "working" movie mode, GX80 or somesuch. Does it accept the command and do some changes, or does it just freeze up as well? Gut feeling: They REALLY went to down when locking down the GX800s video mode.

Tried this with my GX7, doesn't work there either so it's a dead end.

The GX7, set at P and recording, behaves exactly the same as the GX800, ignores shutterspeed (actually ignores exp.com as well). If I put the GX7 in the dedicated video mode on the mode dial it accepts shutter speed changes. It's like the GX800 is permanently stuck in some auto-Videomode. If one could only get that little M to show up besides the video icon...

Bonus: No Cinelike nor Vlog at all on the GX7, Err_param on the whole lot.

• Super Members

OK

Use this new html file.

Instigate the record using the commands from the page rather than the record button on the camera.

Then change ISO, shutter, f stop, colour profile and exposure comp using the commands from the page and see what happens.

Its a longish shot that it will be different when record is instigated remotely but its worth a go.

Toggle between Cinelike D and V too as if there is a change it will be pretty apparent.

GX800 TESTER.html

• Super Members
On 04/05/2018 at 9:47 PM, AndreasS said:

Perhaps Panasonic is on to you, and disabled it in the latest firmware? :D Beware strange dark vans lurking around your neighbourhood. Sadly, unable to test the original 1.0.

Haha

You never know.

I wish HLG could be installed on the GX85 (which is unlikely cause HLG came so much later and is reserved fpr the GH series only). Cause unlike VLog, HLG isn't capped at 12 stops. With the right settings, it could be a great way to get the best out of your camera. 

On 2018-05-07 at 11:48 AM, BTM_Pix said:

OK

Use this new html file.

Instigate the record using the commands from the page rather than the record button on the camera.

Then change ISO, shutter, f stop, colour profile and exposure comp using the commands from the page and see what happens.

Its a longish shot that it will be different when record is instigated remotely but its worth a go.

Toggle between Cinelike D and V too as if there is a change it will be pretty apparent.

GX800 TESTER.html

Sorry for the late reply, lots of other stuff the last week.

No difference if starting recording mode on camera or with your file. Nothing on changing ISO, shutter or aperture while recording. No Cinelike D nor V.

Strangely enough, I did find out that the camera does care if it's in M, A, S or P-mode, no exposure comp in M-mode, just like in photo mode, works in any of the other modes but alas, no control of aperture nor shutter, whichever mode I'm in.

They got this one locked down tight. Thanks for all the help!

PS. Your controller is sweet!