Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DaveAltizer

5D mark IV. Is it just a baby 1DX II?

Recommended Posts

I've been seriously considering the 5D IV as a upgrade to my 1DC. And I was thinking, same AF, same 8bit 4:2:2 codec, same canon color as the 1DX II but half the weight and size!

i finally found a great wide angle option for the 4k crop on this camera with the new Tamron 10-24mm HLD 
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317273-REG

That Tamron paired with a sigma 18-35 gives you a great kit for 4k with little compromise. 

The only thing I don't like is the significantly worse rolling shutter compared to the 1DX II in 4k (tho I'm pretty sure 5D IV in 4k is similar to my 1DC) and the lack of 4k at 60p...

I already have all the CF cards left over from my 1DC!

I'm about to start vlogging more and with the SmallHD Focus I can have a "flip out" screen when I need it. 

I added up the weight and a GH5 with the 8-15 lens is only a few oz lighter than the 5D IV with tamron. 

I would way rather have canons AF and color science PLUS future CLog and obviously full frame STILLS! To take pictures of my future baby :) (my wife is pregnant with our first child)

idk. It seems like an actual "upgrade" sorta to my 1DC. Obviously there are a few down sides but I'm already used to the MJPEG codec, have the cards, have the glass, love the colors, etc. 

 

i just havent seen many people at ALL giving this little camera a chance. Would love to see more action out of this guy. I think there is some gold there if you look hard enough (and use the right glass) 

 

1.7x crop is what the Blackmagic Production camera was. Which means same for the original URSA and AJA CION. It's manageable. 

 

If this camera cost $1500 and was placed as more of a competitor to the a6500 (for video), people wouldn't be as upset about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

If this camera cost $1500 and was placed as more of a competitor to the a6500 (for video), people wouldn't be as upset about it. 

Exactly. Classic Canon. Overpriced. Under delivering.

 

I wouldn't say no to buying a Canon camera, but only if I get it at waaay under market price. Which is how I purchased my Canon 50D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using 5DIVs where I work and just shot a rallycross race last week with them. The touchscreen and DPAF is great, and so is the 1080p 60. The rolling shutter in 4k is baaaaad though, especially for something with fast action like a car race. The 4k crop does come in handy when you need reach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I guess a lot depends on if you plan on using any long, heavier lenses now, or in the future. the 1D series is way better for that purpose. The 5D mkIV works for shorter lenses, but I doubt the weight difference is that much of a saving over the 1D.

I don't have much of a love for either one. I agree with IronFilm, they both are just too overpriced for video use for what you get. Canon in reality just doesn't give a shit about video for anything they make, unless it starts with a C---. And even the C series seems gimped as hell at times. I have no clue what they think about in a Boardroom meeting about video??  I think maybe They are clueless at times. They sure as heck are not market leaders in Video. Sony has that honor by miles.

But I think everyone needs to pick up the pace that is behind in video. I am sure even Still Digital cameras will be using Video in a sense, just lke the 6k Photo mode mode is in the GH5. People will just take bursts of video and pick out the best for Photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kubrickian said:

I've been using 5DIVs where I work and just shot a rallycross race last week with them. The touchscreen and DPAF is great, and so is the 1080p 60. The rolling shutter in 4k is baaaaad though, especially for something with fast action like a car race. The 4k crop does come in handy when you need reach. 

Do you know the actual rolling shutter measurement? Is it worse than an a6300? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's worse than the a6300, and I may have just noticed it way more because I was filming fast-moving cars with a 100-400. 

edit: Ouch I guess it is as bad as the Sony: https://www.dpreview.com/news/7057004492/don-t-get-ahead-of-yourself-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-rolling-shutter-test

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kubrickian said:

I don't think it's worse than the a6300, and I may have just noticed it way more because I was filming fast-moving cars with a 100-400. 

edit: Ouch I guess it is as bad as the Sony: https://www.dpreview.com/news/7057004492/don-t-get-ahead-of-yourself-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-rolling-shutter-test

YIKES! God Damn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kubrickian said:

I don't think it's worse than the a6300, and I may have just noticed it way more because I was filming fast-moving cars with a 100-400. 

edit: Ouch I guess it is as bad as the Sony: https://www.dpreview.com/news/7057004492/don-t-get-ahead-of-yourself-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-rolling-shutter-test

Wow. That's... pretty bad. Rolling shutter is something I always research before buying a camera, and after seeing that link I'm glad I haven't gotten the 5D4. My 1DX2 is certainly expensive, but it does just fine with fast motion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaime Valles said:

Wow. That's... pretty bad. Rolling shutter is something I always research before buying a camera, and after seeing that link I'm glad I haven't gotten the 5D4. My 1DX2 is certainly expensive, but it does just fine with fast motion.

Ya I've read that 1DX II handles rolling shutter really well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the logical upgrade to a 1DC is the 1DMKii. The two handle the same. All lenses are native. If you are comfortable with the 1DC you will be at home with the 1DXMKii. I also suspect it will not be made obsolete every six months like Sony cameras. So it should retain reasonable value. If you can't get the job done with a 1DXMKii, then it's time to consider refining your skills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does someone know what happens, when recording 4K on the 5D m3 / 1DX m2 externally? When recording 4K, the output will be only 1080p...BUT: Is this "native 1080p" or downsampled 1080p from the 4K (generally top-notch quality when downsampling) running?

If so, this could be a great solution to

  1. Bypass the poor Canon in camera 1080p
  2. One could get top notch 1080p and save disk space, because one does not have to store petabytes of Canon original 4K data

Someone out there who knows or could test?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Arikhan said:

Does someone know what happens, when recording 4K on the 5D m3 / 1DX m2 externally? When recording 4K, the output will be only 1080p...BUT: Is this "native 1080p" or downsampled 1080p from the 4K (generally top-notch quality when downsampling) running?

If so, this could be a great solution to

  1. Bypass the poor Canon in camera 1080p
  2. One could get top notch 1080p and save disk space, because one does not have to store petabytes of Canon original 4K data

Someone out there who knows or could test?

Pretty sure James Miller (Philip Bloom's buddy) did some tests with this with the 1DC which has similar external outputs. 

Ive done tests with my 1DC. When shooting 4k the external output is a really nice clean 1080p and you get that "full frameish" look. 

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

I think the logical upgrade to a 1DC is the 1DMKii. The two handle the same. All lenses are native. If you are comfortable with the 1DC you will be at home with the 1DXMKii. I also suspect it will not be made obsolete every six months like Sony cameras. So it should retain reasonable value. If you can't get the job done with a 1DXMKii, then it's time to consider refining your skills. 

I agree. I'm considering it for sure. I just like the idea of having a smaller camera. The 5D is half the weight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...