Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

@Philip Lipetz If I understood their article right then yes. The issue is not the compression (as compared with the external recording remark) but the fact that the GH5 puts the DR within the 10bit, but it spreads it over the same area as the VariCam would use for that DR, leaving some space empty that is "reserved" for the additional DR of the VariCam.

Hypothetical example, not accurate:

OOOOOOOOOO
10bit VLog with 100% DR of the VariCam, filling the complete 10bit

OOOOOOOOO_
10bit VLog with 100% DR of the GH5, filling only slightly over 9bit out of 10

But behold, it's still double the values of 8bit. People in the know have to test if - and even more important when - that makes a real life difference.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Philip Lipetz said:

ike709 is not supposed to be truncated. Is the external VLog feed truncated? 

It's exactly the same as the internal one. 10 Bit (or 9 Bit).

Still 4 times more information than the the 8 Bit V-Log on the GH4...

54 minutes ago, deezid said:

It's exactly the same as the internal one. 10 Bit (or 9 Bit).

Still 4 times more information than the the 8 Bit V-Log on the GH4...

And what about when you shoot 4k 50p at 8-bit in Like 709?

8 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

2017, and we're still not getting real 10bit from the billion dollar tech giants.

Blackmagic for the win.

You do, it's just that that's how VLog L is specified according to the white paper apparently, the other profiles use the full 10bit.

2 minutes ago, Phil A said:

You do, it's just that that's how VLog L is specified according to the white paper apparently, the other profiles use the full 10bit.

I was only interested in 10bit for V-Log L.

The GH5 is still amazing, no doubt, but it was so close to being epic...the compression and odd 10bit implementation just kills it for me.

Not sure the 400Mbps ALL-I can save it. Really don't wanna use an external recorder - that'll basically defeat what attracted me to the GH5 in the first place.

7 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

I was only interested in 10bit for V-Log L.

The GH5 is still amazing, no doubt, but it was so close to being epic...the compression and odd 10bit implementation just kills it for me.

Not sure the 400Mbps ALL-I can save it. Really don't wanna use an external recorder - that'll basically defeat what attracted me to the GH5 in the first place.

I don't see any problem with the codec or 10 bit or 9 bit color information, the quite strong processing even when sharpening and nr is turned down to -5 worries me quite more. No professional camera does this...

14 minutes ago, Herbert Massey said:

Damn, you guys... I've had it in my cart ready to buy....

Honestly, if you want a camera that is gonna be very user friendly, ergonomic, light-weight, stabilised, with a video image that is about 90% of what video cameras 10 times as much produce, plus can take killer photos, get the GH5.

Despite its codec/10bit short-comings, I am still yet to cancel my two pre-orders. For my style of shooting, "run and gun" and live-event work, it is a phenomenal piece of kit.

30 minutes ago, deezid said:

I don't see any problem with the codec or 10 bit or 9 bit color information, the quite strong processing even when sharpening and nr is turned down to -5 worries me quite more. No professional camera does this...

I guess only on high ISOs, right?

37 minutes ago, arson519 said:

so my canadian preorder is on backorder so i decided on Wednesday to order from B&H and i got one shipped today. There must be tons at B&H was not expecting it this soon :)

You ordered it from B&H just in time, it's now sold out.

6 minutes ago, Herbert Massey said:

Thanks Ken. I'm one of those agonizers. I can put it in the cart, but can't pull the trigger.

I've had (seemingly) millions of pounds sitting in various carts around the world and never spent a penny.

41 minutes ago, Herbert Massey said:

Thanks Ken. I'm one of those agonizers. I can put it in the cart, but can't pull the trigger.

Just wait a bit, there are plenty of people here that will have it soon and test it inside and out, so you'll have your questions answered. Wait for the reports to see if the quality control is good. Maybe you like the GH5 enough to buy instead of rent it? Maybe a GH5 buyer will sell it to you after he decides he needs more then 6400 iso?