Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

Andrew Reid

16 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

New low light from Personal View. Wow, 10,000 ISO looks really nice too me.

Yes it does look nice indeed.

Though, there is a huge variability in quality between all these low light samples. Can't really figure out why. Maybe the 4:3 anamorphic mode? I want to trust this sample of course but it would be great if he threw a face in there as well :) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
52 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

there is a huge variability in quality between all these low light samples.

Yes.  My theory is pretty straightforward:  ISO is only one of the exposure variables. The amount of actual light (ambient/direct) in the setting, as well as the speed of the lens makes a huge difference.  When you can shoot at 10KISO in a room with decent light and a fast f-stop, it's going to hide the noisy shadows, right?

This footage, while technically in a low light situation, also has lots of ambient light bouncing around in the corners.  There's a good scoop of photons for the sensor.

On the other hand, when you get someone shooting 10KISO in significantly dim situations and a slow lens, then blacks will be the majority of the frame.  Flaws will be more obvious.

Bottom line, it's all relative.  Take it all with a grain of salt.  Consider the context of the shots (and operator skill set) when trying to judge this stuff on youtube and otherwise. Or, as mentioned, it could be a straight out misrepresentation to cynically garner attention.  Such is the early 21st century in which we live.

15 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

This footage, while technically in a low light situation, also has lots of ambient light bouncing around in the corners.  There's a good scoop of photons for the sensor.

That's true, exposure has been key with high ISO on all previous GH models and it can look decent if the entire frame is filled with light. That footage still has some dark areas where I'd expect it to go to hell pretty badly, especially at 5000-10,000. Just doesn't look anything like what I'm used to seeing out of the GH4. 

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

New low light from Personal View. Wow, 10,000 ISO looks really nice too me.

56 minutes ago, Davey said:

Saw that footage weeks ago - it looks like it has been stolen, borrowed, doctored, changed.

Just check the guy's YouTube description for that video. Anybody doing that is just looking for short term views. Utterly ridiculous. 

Yes, the youtube click bait vultures are all over the place.

That is Martin Wallgren's video. He uploaded that to Vimeo a little over 3 weeks ago, he also had another GH5 video titled ( Winters Grip ) that was linked here a week or so ago. Who ever it was that re-posted Martins video used every GH5 tag one could think of for a stolen video.

I guess people have decided to start stealing content to get views.

10 hours ago, Davey said:

Very impressive. The acting was so good that I forgot to look for any issues with the camera.

I guess that if the story is good enough, the vast majority of people will not care one jot for anything else.

My thoughts as well. It’s a parody for the sake of a camera test, and an excellent one at that. The final look was the director’s choice and it showed how well the camera holds up. French and Saunders (show of the same name) and Gina Riley (Fast Forward) produce the best parodies I’ve ever seen, and I’m sure if you compared any of their work to the originals you would discover huge differences in lighting, sets, etc. The fact they didn’t apply any prosthetics to the characters shows how well it was done. So my minds eye was in total agreeance with it, and I like that look the director produced.

Apparently a modified cineV was used; I wonder what the settings actually were.

To me the DR of the scene does not look like much, allowing for a higher then normal ISO/gain setting, which in turn lifts the shadows, which maybe lead to less blocking/ more shadow detail. What do you think?

@Borbarad Pretty much the entire interview consists of questions to the effect of why can't the camera do this? why can't the camera do that? Why can't the camera record 5K? Why can't it record 4K 60p 4:2:2 10 bit internally? Why doesn't it shoot HEVC in video mode? Why can't you record audio in VFR mode? So, not very interesting to me, maybe to someone else though.

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Pretty useful tool...

Indeed. James is tiptop, much beyond the average beta tester we're used to cross with.

Yes....normally not a big fan of rack focus....though I understand it has it's place creatively...smart move of Panasonic....makes me seriously consider the Leica 12-60mm for this and the usefulness of the lens range...

27 minutes ago, Julien416 said:

Been wondering if i'd take the plunge.
That's it. I am sold.

Wow really nice video. You would be damn hard pressed to tell what camera shot that footage. And you would guess it was a damn good camera that did it. This just goes to show that a darn good camera with darn good grading skills beats just about any conception that you need a Arri to make stuff happen. Nice find.

Looks very nice, the word flawless comes to mind. Using the full DR, SMOOTH roll off. Without the overly contrasty amateur look.

Great stuff.

However it was all shot during overcast days, in other words reduced DR light levels. So my challenge to James Miller and others is to make something silky smooth like this with a full sun.

Thank you!