Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

12 minutes ago, funkyou86 said:

I got my GH4 from amazon.co.uk and it can switch without problems I don't think that pana will block this in GH5.

8 minutes ago, marcuswolschon said:

The GH4 already was a world cam, switchable between 25p and 30p.

But the European GH4 (not however the GH4R) is limited to 30min.

Thanks guys, so if it's the same as GH4, I'll get 25p option no matter where I buy the camera from... great, thanks again.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If I recall right, I read or heared somewhere: "The GH5 is a world camera".

All fps in all regions available  

The GH4 was switchable between PAL and NTSC. Not very comfortable, you had to switch it off and on again, but possible. 

The GH1-3 had the regional barriers. 

I am glad that those are gone. 

Panasonic has reneged in the past on promised and scheduled updates. Here is a schedule of lens updates on a Panasonic web site:

http://shop.panasonic.com/dual-is?cm_mmc=AffiliateDefault-_-Ecommerce-_-Default-_-Default&src=linkshare&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-b.Mu0.iXVBSddPHHK1R1Xg

At the bottom are four lens updates scheduled to be available by February 2016. None of those updates has as yet come out, and Panasonic has not released any information about them. This prior behavior should not go unnoticed by those contemplating purchasing a GH5 based on promises from Panasonic.

While the GH5 obviously lacks dual pixel and A6300 type PDAF, it's auto focus speed is apparently going to pleasantly surprise users, in terms of how good it is (Matt says 'much better'). I am guessing it will be genuinely good, maybe due to the focussing algorithms as well as the focussing motor. Watch from 20:00. 

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

While the GH5 obviously lacks dual pixel and A6300 type PDAF, it's auto focus speed is apparently going to pleasantly surprise users, in terms of how good it is (Matt says 'much better'). I am guessing it will be genuinely good, maybe due to the focussing algorithms as well as the focussing motor. Watch from 20:00. 

I was super happy to read you. Then I watched and the guy actually says it works just as well as the GH4. 

So I think we should be more worried about what he says actually

4 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I was super happy to read you. Then I watched and the guy actually says it works just as well as the GH4. 

So I think we should be more worried about what he says actually

Hahaha. Could you say where he says it (in mins). One of the few noticeable limitations in the Panasonic cameras (compared to Canon and Sony) is the disappointedin auto-focus. I was hoping they address some of that with the GH5. 

Neither Matt Frazer nor Griffin Hammond know how fast or accurate the AF-C will be; they were handling pre-production models. For sure, the GH5 will be better; it will have more focus points, it will read the sensor much faster, they're using improved algorithms: whether it will be as fast and accurate as current APS-C cameras remains to be seen. I'm not expecting any miracles here. 

I guess it's all about Interpretation, but they say improved.

Maybe you've all seen this, but if not, go to the 5:50 mark. Just another video ( a rough video ) but Matt Frazer speaks on the auto focus the same way he has in every video I've seen, but says it's "Auto focus system is on steroids" I understand marketing hoopla, but based on the consistent claim that the auto focus is a major improvement up from the GH4 I'm expecting a solid auto focus improvement, if not Matt, and Lumix will have told blatant lies. He addresses the GH4 every time they discuss auto focus and acknowledges that it was a area to improve going off of user feedback.

4 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I guess it's all about Interpretation, but they say improved.

Maybe you've all seen this, but if not, go to the 5:50 mark. Just another video ( a rough video ) but Matt Frazer speaks on the auto focus the same way he has in every video I've seen, but says it's "Auto focus system is on steroids" I understand marketing hoopla, but based on the consistent claim that the auto focus is a major improvement up from the GH4 I'm expecting a solid auto focus improvement, if not Matt, and Lumix will have told blatant lies. He addresses the GH4 every time they discuss auto focus and acknowledges that it was a area to improve going off of user feedback.

single auto focus is already blazing fast on Lumix cameras. all I'm interested in is continuous auto focus. and all this talk is anecdotal, let's just wait for some tests. we're not calling anyone a liar.

Just now, jonpais said:

single auto focus is already blazing fast on Lumix cameras. all I'm interested in is continuous auto focus. and all this talk is anecdotal, let's just wait for some tests. we're not calling anyone a liar.

Waiting on actual test is it... I hear you, and NO, we're not calling anyone a liar, just saying they have consistently said this was an area of focus based on user feedback. I'm thinking they answered that request.

5 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Waiting on actual test is it... I hear you, and NO, we're not calling anyone a liar, just saying they have consistently said this was an area of focus based on user feedback. I'm thinking they answered that request.

okay, cool, where are the shots to prove it? they gave us slo mo, they showed us how great the pull focus feature is, why not show us how fast it can follow an object moving directly toward the camera. it takes just one minute to do the test.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

okay, cool, where are the shots to prove it?

If they managed to get even close to what Canon, Sony or even Fujifilm have achieved when it comes to continuous autofocus they would have shown us because that would have been a big deal, I expect some minor improvements but nothing worth talking about, time will tell.

I can see only 2 dark spots regarding this camera till now. One is the auto focus performance, as mentioned above, and the other is what panasonic calls Three-Dimensional Color Control. If AF is indeed 2 times faster than gh4 and 3DCC actually helps the user to get rid off that ugly orange skintones, even with tweaking, this will be a dream video camera. Again, fingers crossed....

49 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

I can see only 2 dark spots regarding this camera till now. One is the auto focus performance, as mentioned above, and the other is what panasonic calls Three-Dimensional Color Control. If AF is indeed 2 times faster than gh4 and 3DCC actually helps the user to get rid off that ugly orange skintones, even with tweaking, this will be a dream video camera. Again, fingers crossed....

I'm sure that's tops on everyone's list