(The killers) Planar + baby Hypergonar : The movie

Sebastien Farges

My question is : with that kind of result, do I need a GH3 and mainly an Iscorama 36 ? I'm not so sure now for the Isco ;) Could it be better with the 0.4 achromatic diopter ? Please tell me your opinion :)

GH1 hacked 720P 50
baby Berthiot Hypergonar anamorphic lens 1.75X
Planar 45mm f/2 
Hartbley Super-Rotator tilt and shift 80mm f/2.8 lens
Tokina 0.5 diopter
Light Craft variable ND filter

Premiere pro CS6
light CC (levels)

Maybe the ultimate combo for the baby Hypergonar anamorphic lens : the Planar 45mm f/2. As least for me.
I've found for a reasonable price this Planar lens that I used to have few years ago on my Contax G1 rangefinder. I had great memories on that lens and sold it a few years ago for money reasons. Here it backs, for 200€. Popular Photography magazine said in 1994 that it is the sharpest lens ever made. Effectively this lens is very sharp, also at f/2.
So I decide to test it with my (new, again) baby Berthiot Hypergonar 1.75X anamorphic lens, a very small and light (51,7 grams !!!!). For the close up I used my new Tokina 0.5 diopter. I just watched the export of this movie on my TV and I'm very pleased of the result, no vignetting, no distortion, and very sharp result to my opinion, with the Tokina in the close shot, and without in the wide shot.
The very firsts shots (with the blurry corners) have been taken with a tilt and shift lens, the Hartblei Super-Rotator 80mm f/2.8 (Nikon mount). It is miraculously working with the baby Hypergonar, small vignetting when the lens is tilting, because it's a 80mm... It's hard to use because it was for me the very first time shooting with a tilt and shift lens. I surely have to practice, that's why I edited just few shots. 

All this was shot with my old hacked GH1 in 720P. I've received few days ago the new GH3. I will do test with this combo soon. But the GH1 is still in the race ! 

music : Masked Ball (Jocelyn Pook) from Eye's Wide Shut soundtrack.

8482020453_25799911ac_c.jpg

8482021019_8354588448_c.jpg

8483112470_b465e247b7_c.jpg

8482021565_7e895b20ab_c.jpg

8454405548_7bf785480a_c.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

looks lovely.  the tilt shift is great.  a really interesting look.  I think you need to try this with some backlighting!  I think the flares could look really exciting with the tilt shift being applied during shot.

re. closeups / tokina +0.4 vs +0.5.  It looks like you dont need any additional correction on the close ups.  the results look really nice.  the little hypergonnar seems to apply a 16mm film look to the image.  looks almost edible!  

looks lovely.  the tilt shift is great.  a really interesting look.  I think you need to try this with some backlighting!  I think the flares could look really exciting with the tilt shift being applied during shot.

re. closeups / tokina +0.4 vs +0.5.  It looks like you dont need any additional correction on the close ups.  the results look really nice.  the little hypergonnar seems to apply a 16mm film look to the image.  looks almost edible!  

Thanks Richard :) Don't worry I will practice with the tilt and shift and will also try flares! And for the 0.4, I will wait when I will have the budget...