Jump to content
Simon Shasha

Micro + IKAN = An Awesome & Affordable EVF

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@ Simon Shasha - Great idea!

I have similar plans, but for the Neway CT500HO. I purchased mine off Alibaba, but you could also get it from Personal-View under deals for $289.

Anyways, if you want to use your regular 3" EVF it has and EVF mode which shrinks the images so that my 3" EVF covers the top and bottom but does not cover the sides completely, which is not a big deal to me. Looks like the EVF mode images covers more than have the screen so the resolution is greater than 540 x 960 might be closer to 720.  Here is an image that gives the specs...  Neway also make a 5.5" with SDI but it does not natively handle 4K via HDMI like the 5" so the Pixel to Pixel resolution is 1/4 as resolved as on the 5".

unnamed.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try the Hoodman Hoodriser. It upgrades 3" loupes to cover 3.5" and 4" screens. I bought one along with the HCAM4 strap super cheaply on eBay (I was lucky there was auctions, they are mostly buy it now). Combined with another lucky purchase, an LCDVF 3" loupe on eBay (cost £10), I built a loupe for my C100. Not as efficiently designed as the dedicated Zacuto loupe, but it works well enough. If you can get the hoodriser cheaply enough, it might just solve your problem. 

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, majoraxis said:

@ Simon Shasha - Great idea!

I have similar plans, but for the Neway CT500HO. I purchased mine off Alibaba, but you could also get it from Personal-View under deals for $289.

Anyways, if you want to use your regular 3" EVF it has and EVF mode which shrinks the images so that my 3" EVF covers the top and bottom but does not cover the sides completely, which is not a big deal to me. Looks like the EVF mode images covers more than have the screen so the resolution is greater than 540 x 960 might be closer to 720.  Here is an image that gives the specs...  Neway also make a 5.5" with SDI but it does not natively handle 4K via HDMI like the 5" so the Pixel to Pixel resolution is 1/4 as resolved as on the 5".

unnamed.jpg

 

 

 

Hey mate, that Neway looks like a great find :)

I have the Blackmagic Video Assist, which I love, and was using it with my setup, but I found it to be just too big for the kind of rig I was attempting to design - hence why I began my search for a 3.5" monitor.

If you're going for a 5" monitor, you might be interested in the IKAN DH5e: http://ikancorp.com/productdetail.php?id=1710&categoryname=on-camera-monitors&model=dh5e

They have a really cool cage/loupe in the works for it too, which you can see here at the 48-second mark: 

 

7 hours ago, Calum MacPhail said:

You could try the Hoodman Hoodriser. It upgrades 3" loupes to cover 3.5" and 4" screens. I bought one along with the HCAM4 strap super cheaply on eBay (I was lucky there was auctions, they are mostly buy it now). Combined with another lucky purchase, an LCDVF 3" loupe on eBay (cost £10), I built a loupe for my C100. Not as efficiently designed as the dedicated Zacuto loupe, but it works well enough. If you can get the hoodriser cheaply enough, it might just solve your problem. 

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG


That's an awesome little setup you've put together, Calum!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Will definitely look into it if the IKAN loupe takes a really long time to get to market. They've told me it's only about a month away, though :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Chris said:

What's the shoulder pad you're using?

That's from Kamerar. It comes alone for a bit over 60$ or as part of their Socom shoulder rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Liszon said:

The Feelworld S350 would probably work as well, besides HDMI it has SDI too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Feelworld-3-5-RGB-SDI-HDMI-Electronic-View-Finder-F-BMCC-BMPCC-BMPC-DSLR-5D-II-/191673451555

I had one of these, honestly it was rubbish. The Loupe the monitor all of it. 5 dollar Loupes for Canon on Ebay are better quality than this Loupe and the screen was borderline useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ Simon Shasha - looks like the IKAN DH5e and the Neway CT500HO are the same monitor.

It is very lightweight without the battery and it has function buttons and a push-dial-select-encoder-wheel so it can easily be run without the touch screen with a loupe attached.  I am thinking seriously about getting the GRID 5" EVF loupe https://www.gridaccessories.com/products/grid-5-0-viewfinder/ (which has a glass diopter, I am told) and is about $200, but I want to wait to see what Neway offers as an optional loupe that is designed specifically for the CT500HO before make a purchase decision.  I also don't know if the GRID 5" has the same exact aspect ratio as the CT500HO as it is designed for the BMCC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, tweak said:

I had one of these, honestly it was rubbish. The Loupe the monitor all of it. 5 dollar Loupes for Canon on Ebay are better quality than this Loupe and the screen was borderline useless.

Yeah I never had these, I use an old Zacuto. Reviewers seem to like the monitor itself, most of them agreed the loupe is bad. I was thinking about getting one, the Zacuto might be feature packed but the quality of motion is ugly. What was so wrong with the Feelworld's screen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Liszon said:

Yeah I never had these, I use an old Zacuto. Reviewers seem to like the monitor itself, most of them agreed the loupe is bad. I was thinking about getting one, the Zacuto might be feature packed but the quality of motion is ugly. What was so wrong with the Feelworld's screen?

Colour, resolution, viewing angle... it's a cheap POS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These Neway seem really interesting. They are not native 4K though. Do they have any quality construction, or are they going to fall apart asap in the field?! 

Ikan are not much better thought, actually they seem quite expensive for what they offer (the expensive models).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course they're not native 4K, not even phone screens are 4K in that size yet. Personally I think 1080p is plenty for 4", especially with a loupe, as long as it can accept a 4K signal. Are there even any 4K on-camera monitors in any size yet?

It would seem Neway is Ikan's manufacturer. On Personal-View you can get the 5" for $289 and Vitaliy just put up a 5.5" version, with an ugly rubber bumper cover ala the newer Shoguns, for about $400, that has waveform, vector scope, false color etc. 

I'm actually surprised none of the Chinese brands have come out with an affordable 5" loupe, for the Video Assist, PIX-E5, and these cheaper 5-inchers. I did just express this on P-V and Vitally said they're working on it, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3 September 2016 at 8:17 PM, aldolega said:

Of course they're not native 4K, not even phone screens are 4K in that size yet. Personally I think 1080p is plenty for 4", especially with a loupe, as long as it can accept a 4K signal. Are there even any 4K on-camera monitors in any size yet?

It would seem Neway is Ikan's manufacturer. On Personal-View you can get the 5" for $289 and Vitaliy just put up a 5.5" version, with an ugly rubber bumper cover ala the newer Shoguns, for about $400, that has waveform, vector scope, false color etc. 

I'm actually surprised none of the Chinese brands have come out with an affordable 5" loupe, for the Video Assist, PIX-E5, and these cheaper 5-inchers. I did just express this on P-V and Vitally said they're working on it, though.

This one might be worth a look...https://www.gridaccessories.com/products/grid-5-0-viewfinder/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

GRID 5" EVF loupe https://www.gridaccessories.com/products/grid-5-0-viewfinder/ (which has a glass diopter, I am told) and is about $200

I have one of these and there's no adjustable diopter - if that's what you mean. Of course it may have changed - I see they're calling it new - but the images on the website look exactly the same as mine. I'm a glasses wearer, so I had to construct an adjustable sleeve to get it to the right distance from my BMDVA screen. It's definitely well made, however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon, I have the bmpcc 4k and the exact loupe you have. I'm looking into buying the Ikan 3.5" myself but am concerned of whether or not the resolution of 800x480 will be enough for me to get accurate focusing through it. Has this been a problem for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gabe Ofca said:

Simon, I have the bmpcc 4k and the exact loupe you have. I'm looking into buying the Ikan 3.5" myself but am concerned of whether or not the resolution of 800x480 will be enough for me to get accurate focusing through it. Has this been a problem for you?

Not sure if this answers your question, but it has a punch-in feature that can be assigned to one of the buttons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...