DJI X5R (4K RAW) + Osmo + Inspire 1... anybody else with the same idea?

Oliver Daniel

I have to say I'm a little obsessed with the thought of buying the DJI X5R with the Osmo and Inspire 1. Has anybody else on the forum played with the idea a little? 

The seamless integration of the X5R with the Osmo and Inspire 1 is very attractive. 

Other gimbals (like my Ronin-M) can be very cumbersome and the pistol grip solution that exist now seem quite problematic. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think it is still a little overpriced, though very unique. Certainly interested to see it on an Osmo.

Not sure what your experience with drones is, but the Inspire 1 is a bit of a beast as a starter kit, especially with such a pricey camera attached. You will crash sooner or later, it is inevitable. 

29 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I think it is still a little overpriced, though very unique. Certainly interested to see it on an Osmo.

Not sure what your experience with drones is, but the Inspire 1 is a bit of a beast as a starter kit, especially with such a pricey camera attached. You will crash sooner or later, it is inevitable. 

I've operated the gimbal on the DJI S900 and S1000 before (see video). 

Also noticed the X5R has gone down a lot in price, although still expensive... but the ease of integration over other solutions may be worth it.  

My only concern is the raw bitrate.... 1.7 Gbps! The property SSD's from DJI are bloody well expensive!!

I guess you can dump the footage, transcode the files to ProRes and delete the raw masters after the project is done. 30 mins per 512gb SSD though... :-s

I'm more interested about the Osmo combination... that's my priority really. 

Not too much of a fan of the X5 h.264... heavy aliasing and over sharp (hence looking at X5R). 

50 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Ahh cool.... You might be better off using a similar drone then, rather than the Inspire 1..... Lose a prop on that and it is going down... Lose a prop on an S1000 and you have a fighting chance.

I can't afford one of these bigger ones, plus they can be quite complex - and the Inspire 1 is way more portable. All my gear is insured. 

It's more the Osmo I'm interested in with the X5R. There's very little footage out there though. 

Anyone know why the prices on Amazon from 3rd party sellers are so different from B&H and Adorama? The X5r kit with the 15mm lens is $3599 at Adorama, but just $2199 at some Amazon sellers. If that price is legit, makes me think seriously about replacing my A7s/DS1 combo with one of these. Seems odd...

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 11.57.35 AM.png

17 minutes ago, The Chris said:

Anyone know why the prices on Amazon from 3rd party sellers are so different from B&H and Adorama? The X5r kit with the 15mm lens is $3599 at Adorama, but just $2199 at some Amazon sellers. If that price is legit, makes me think seriously about replacing my A7s/DS1 combo with one of these. Seems odd...

Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 11.57.35 AM.png

That's incredibly cheap, bloody hell! Could it be a mistake? 

You're right though, the current pistol grip/camera combinations out there right now scare me off with reliability and balancing issues. The beauty of the DJI is the pick up and go style, with a great app to operate it with. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

That's incredibly cheap, bloody hell! Could it be a mistake? 

You're right though, the current pistol grip/camera combinations out there right now scare me off with reliability and balancing issues. The beauty of the DJI is the pick up and go style, with a great app to operate it with. 

Wow, I had no idea the X5r could be had for such an affordable price... definitely tempting. Do you guys know of any good, solid reviews on how it performs? Footage seems pretty scarce, and I can't really find any in-depth reviews on it at all. 

8 hours ago, Parker said:

Wow, I had no idea the X5r could be had for such an affordable price... definitely tempting. Do you guys know of any good, solid reviews on how it performs? Footage seems pretty scarce, and I can't really find any in-depth reviews on it at all. 

Hello,

I'm a new and the forum.

It is cheap because it seems they do not include the $1500US SSD. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Good review.... It is an issue that the raw recorder is also producing alot of noise, as the Osmo is loud enough already.

I'm personally not fussed about the audio thing - different needs and all that stuff. 

The 1080p RAW looks great.

Do you know if it's possible to use the compressed X5 codec when you don't want to use RAW?