Jump to content

Samsung NX1 - Best Lenses


timmyturntable
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey guys.  New Samsung NX1 owner / user here.  Currently have NX mount Rokinon 35mm and kit lens.  Looking for the best combo of lenses / adaptors of the camera.  Seem to be quite a few fans of the Sigma 18-35mm with a Nikon/Canon adapter.  Can any of you weigh in on which lenses you think result in the best image for this camera?  Less than $1000...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

Yes the Sigma is good

But you will need to go past 35mm sooner or later. The old Sigma 50-150mm APS-C lens is pretty good... compact and F2.8. The upcoming 50-100mm F1.8 will be much more expensive and you'd never get that and the 18-35mm under $1k together. The 18-35 and 50-150mm you could do.

Also the Samsung 16-50mm F2.0 to F2.8 OIS has stabilisation.. Sigma 18-35 doesn't. Something to bear in mind as well as whether you need AF to quickly establish a shot before the opportunity vanishes whilst you're in the magnified focus assist with a lens adapter :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Stabilization is super important for video unless you shoot only on a tripod or use shouldr rigs, otherwise any shots above 50mm will be ruined. 

I'd keep that in mind. 

For covering everything: wide - portrait/lowlight - telephoto:

-Your kit lens covers wide angle shots pretty well.

-You need a lowlight tele for beauty/portraits/close ups.

For IS: Samsung 60mm f/2.8 Macro IS, 450$

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757452-REG/Samsung_EX_M60SB_60mm_f_2_8_Macro_ED.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Don't need IS: Samyang nx 85mm f/1.4, 260$

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844994-REG/Rokinon_85M_NX_85mm_f_1_4_Aspherical_Lens.html/prm/alsVwDtl

-For a tele  

Samsung 50-200mm IS will do the job for 300$, and it can be white :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/916137-REG/samsung_ex_t50200cswus_50_200mm_f4_0_5_6_lens_white.html
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, timmyturntable said:

Thanks, Andrew!  Anybody try any vintage glass with adaptors that resulted in a nice image?

I shoot a lot of Nikon Nikkor Ai-S manual primes and a couple of zooms too. These are generally pretty darn sharp lenses and they look fantastic on my NX1.
I also have that good old Sigma 18-35mm. Which is always great, it just really is.
Also a couple Samyangs - they match the Nikkors very closely. 
And I have a Voightlander 20mm, but I've never tried it on the NX1. I suppose I should. I bet it will look just fiiiiine....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
1 hour ago, SR said:

I'm in the market for a telephoto lens myself. I might give the Sigma 50-150mm a shot. Any recommendations on primes for the NX1? Perhaps 135 mm to 200 mm range.

Samyang makes an nx mount 135mm F/2, the best value for money at 500 bucks 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1110694-REG/samyang_sy135m_nx_135mm_f_2_lens_for.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I've seen good results with Contax Zeiss glass, but the NX1 doesn't respond well to lower-res lenses. It's a very demanding sensor. Modern stuff will work best, or anything vintage that's known for its resolution (Contax, Pentax, some Minolta MDs, probably Nikon). 

Totally agree. The NX1 sensor is very demanding to say the least. You need a high resolving lenses to make the most of it. Although I've received great results with nikkor and canon fd vintage lenses for some odd reason the 4k video is even more demanding than the stills. Might have something to do with the compression. Either way I recommend a sharp modern lens. I currently own some zeiss milvus glass but I am going to get a voigtlander 40mm f2 as my general use lens because its sharp and contrasty and under $1000. Can't beat that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Samyang makes an nx mount 135mm F/2, the best value for money at 500 bucks 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1110694-REG/samyang_sy135m_nx_135mm_f_2_lens_for.html/prm/alsVwDtl

That's good news. I didn't know Samyang was doing the NX mount. Very nice of them.

And that new 135mm of theirs is an exceptional lens for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Samyang makes an nx mount 135mm F/2, the best value for money at 500 bucks 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1110694-REG/samyang_sy135m_nx_135mm_f_2_lens_for.html/prm/alsVwDtl

I was wondering about that lens. Thanks. What about zoom telephoto lenses? It doesn't need to have a constant aperture (I value portability with IQ over constant aperture).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
9 hours ago, SR said:

I was wondering about that lens. Thanks. What about zoom telephoto lenses? It doesn't need to have a constant aperture (I value portability with IQ over constant aperture).

Best tele prime for the NX1 is that 135mm f/2. Beautiful lens. You can also get it in Nikon Mount and adapter just to make the lens usable on all your future cameras. That's what I'd do, but if you hate having a second point of failure (adapter) then the nx-mount version provides it. 

Zoom teles? you say portability, which means you're not using a shoulder rig/gimbal, therefore I only recommend a lens with image stabilization. A tele zoom without IS CANNOT get usable footage handheld, just can't, only on a tripod/gimbal/rig. 

For IS there are two options from Samsung. Both very sharp. One is a small portable variable aperture lens for 300

-50-200mm f/4-5.6 IS 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/916137-REG/samsung_ex_t50200cswus_50_200mm_f4_0_5_6_lens_white.html

And the other is a high-end constant iris lens with bright aperture for sports for 1400$

-50-150mm f/2.8 IS 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081863-REG/samsung_ex_zs50150abus_50_150mm_f2_8_ed_ois.html/prm/alsVwDtl

If you're not doing handheld, the third party stuff comes into the equation. But i'd personally buy the cheap 50-200mm IS if I had an nx1,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Best tele prime for the NX1 is that 135mm f/2. Beautiful lens. You can also get it in Nikon Mount and adapter just to make the lens usable on all your future cameras. That's what I'd do, but if you hate having a second point of failure (adapter) then the nx-mount version provides it. 

Zoom teles? you say portability, which means you're not using a shoulder rig/gimbal, therefore I only recommend a lens with image stabilization. A tele zoom without IS CANNOT get usable footage handheld, just can't, only on a tripod/gimbal/rig. 

For IS there are two options from Samsung. Both very sharp. One is a small portable variable aperture lens for 300

-50-200mm f/4-5.6 IS 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/916137-REG/samsung_ex_t50200cswus_50_200mm_f4_0_5_6_lens_white.html

And the other is a high-end constant iris lens with bright aperture for sports for 1400$

-50-150mm f/2.8 IS 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081863-REG/samsung_ex_zs50150abus_50_150mm_f2_8_ed_ois.html/prm/alsVwDtl

If you're not doing handheld, the third party stuff comes into the equation. But i'd personally buy the cheap 50-200mm IS if I had an nx1,

I shall consider getting both the prime and the NX 50-200mm. That should have me covered for all video work. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the two s lens. I think the 16-50s is a good lens, but I find the 50-150s lens to be better in every way. It's really hard to get a good zoom pull with the 16.50s it sticks in a couple of places. It also is pretty underwhelming with its boken even at f2.0. It's sharp and resolves absurd amounts of detail.

The 50-150s is superior across the board. Zooms easier, better optics at all zoom levels, I think it's a lens that when paired when the nx1, is very hard to match from any camera lens combo. It's what the nx1 was built for. This lens.

I have the 30mm samsung pancake and I would rate it as very useable and sharp, but it doesn't have much character or wow factor. But it's cheap and tiny and good for travel and gimbals and such.

I'll be using the Samyang t1.5 vdslr 85mm more and more. It amazes me every time I've used it. I bought this in canon eos mount and use it with adapters on my BMCC as well. I love the boken and it can of course get down to a paper thin focus plane. This will probably be my go to portrait lens for both cameras. It's suprisingly cheap for the quality.

I definitely would keep any nx mount purchases down to a couple of lens with all the automatic stuff. (since they be useless with other mounts) Any other lens I get will be canon or nikon with adpaters

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...