Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi guys!

I'm a new member of NX1 family. I just got my camera but I'm  still waiting for the adapter (Nikon lens only).

I've been following this thread for months and now is the moment to hack the camera I just got. Is there any guide or step by step to install the hack? I'm thinking to install Vasille's. I'm just interested in the bitrate modification. The card I'm going to use will be "Samsung Memory 64GB Pro SDXC UHS-I".

For now I can only update the firmware :P

1 hour ago, BaZa said:

Hi guys!

I'm a new member of NX1 family. I just got my camera but I'm  still waiting for the adapter (Nikon lens only).

I've been following this thread for months and now is the moment to hack the camera I just got. Is there any guide or step by step to install the hack? I'm thinking to install Vasille's. I'm just interested in the bitrate modification. The card I'm going to use will be "Samsung Memory 64GB Pro SDXC UHS-I".

https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding/tree/master/video-bitrate-mods/nx-patch

Scroll down for the step-by-step instructions.

11 hours ago, BaZa said:

Hi guys!

I've posted this literally two days ago:

Samsung's SD card wouldn't be my first choice, better get Lexar 2000x or a Sandisk (I did get SanDisk Extreme 256 GB SDXC for NX500 as an warehouse item)

Thanks for the answers. I did check that link, but I guess I didn't scrolled enough :P

The Samsung card is the one that it came with the camera, for now I'll stay with him. But probably can't get the 180Mbits with the hack.

31 minutes ago, BaZa said:

Thanks for the answers. I did check that link, but I guess I didn't scrolled enough :P

The Samsung card is the one that it came with the camera, for now I'll stay with him. But probably can't get the 180Mbits with the hack.

You should definitely be able to use 180mbps. I'm using this card and I can use 180mbps reliably. 

I've been running into a few issues with my NX1 and the hack. When running the hack now, the screen quite often goes black and the SD activity LED begins to repeatedly blink. The only way to stop this is pulling the battery. Upon reboot, all settings (bit rate etc) have reverted to standard. I've successfully managed to record at a number of framerates and resolutions, at 120, 150 and 180 mb/s. This is a more recent development, I installed the mod at the weekend and its only started "crashing" in the past couple of days, theres not any triggers that could have caused this that come to mind, the cameras been mostly off this week.

Also, im assuming this is part of the install process, but the files are no longer present in the root of the SD card. Additional info, the card is formatted in EXFAT and not in the camera.

EDIT : I've uninstalled the mod and performed a clean installation of 5.3. I'll keep you posted as to wether the irregularities return.

Hmm, Metabone's complaint about the space isn't totally invalid.  Their claim is that they couldn't make it fit and also be at the same quality as their other adapters (and I assume they mean while keeping down manufacturing costs as being sort of implied).  Anyway, I'm very interested in this, If we can get one allowing good AF with EF lenses.... speedboosted or even just adapted I would be willing to put 10,000 USD towards a manufacturing run.  In either case I would need to see the good performance in the prototypes first of course, for AF and optically.  The size of the prototype doesn't bother me.  For instance, if on the prototype an Arduino and external power, etc... are needed, so long as in the final production design it is constrained to being contained in the adapter (and here I don't mind quite a thick adapter).  Others can tell you I'm good for my word, I funded most of the burner NX500 for the firmware hacking. 

SMGJohn, we do know what tools they used, but knowing the tools doesn't give us their source code.  You can find the source for the camera OS and build instructions here: http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital%20cameras but it doesn't have the source for the camera app that runs at boot and really does everything camera related.  This kind of change and repackage the firmware approach has been done before on the NX300 (someone added encryption) Vasile's approach is much safer since once the base firmware is modded all other changes are done outside of that and should be reversible with no chance of bricking. 

Vasile, I'm just afraid if I fund your lens you will lose your motivation, or worse, spend all your time taking photos :P

23 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

Even for the intelligent adapter with af?

It: intendo l'adattatore con fuoco automatico ed apertura controllata dai comandi.

At first he told me (see previous post), but since then nothing. I also tried to contact him privately on dpreview.com but even there he did not answer. I continue with my work, however, it goes very well, I hope to have a pre-set ready by the beginning of August for the NX-Nikon adapter system, which, in addition to providing me different information on the operation of SB lenses, it is cheap compared to an intelligent system.
I can say with certainty is that the system is very sharp, and coupled with fast lens offers a beautiful Boke.

It: All'inizio Ihkim mi ha risposto (vedi post precedenti) ma, da allora più nulla. Ho anche provato a contattarlo privatamente su dpreview.com ma anche lì non mi ha risposto. Io continuo comunque con il mio lavoro, che procede molto bene, spero di riuscire ad avere una pre-serie pronta entro i primi giorni di agosto per il sistema NX-Nikon adattatore, che, oltre a fornirmi diverse informazioni sul funzionamento delle lenti SB, è anche economico rispetto ad un sistema intelligente.
quello che posso affermare con certezza è che il sistema è molto nitido, ed abbinato a lenti veloci offre un bellissimo Boke.

14 hours ago, lucabutera said:

Hallo NX World, the NX Booster it's coming soon! This is the Prototype Mark II. 

Marco do not worry, if I do not post my progress, is because I have a lot of work in my private life. Next week I start the test with Nx1 camera.

SAM_8952.JPG

SAM_8955.JPG

SAM_8956.JPG

SAM_8957.JPG

I'm in for one, let me know when you can have this available. Thanks, I'm using the NX1 with Vasile bitrate mod and could really use this, thanks for this awesome and genuine thing you made, have. Nikon lenses here we come.

19 hours ago, vaga said:

That adapter looks really well made! I'm impressed. So are you planning to do smart stuff? Maybe I can help you with that

Vaga, ihkim posted about the nx protocol, and the canon ef one is well known. What should be done is a "conversion" chip, able to perform in real time.

You can read from here on:

https://***URL removed***/forums/post/57372604

and here, with google translation, if needed:

http://www.mydiyworld.net/

I'm probably late to the party but did you see that if you're in a dark room in live video preview there's a clear shift in sensitivity while going from 2000 ISO to 2500? It's like something kicks in and you're magically seeing the shadows. It's definitely too high be a 1/3 stop increment. Could that be a sign of NR? 

Do you guys have the same behavior?