Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

26 minutes ago, Marco Tecno said:

in the meanwhile, on dpr:

http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57238559

Guys, I am developer but being a developer is different than being a hacker. A developer works with tools that give them the functionality they need. A hacker may have to invent tools for platforms where such tools are not readily available. If we had a publically available SDK and a method to sign and upload the firmware onto the NX1 I am sure I could make changes to it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Undecided, a SDK exists to create apps for pc to tether the nx1. You could still request it, I guess. But from there you won't likely be able to change inner parameters, like bitrate, fps, resolution and so on.

But some ppl found some 'backdoors' for uploading scripts and programs to nx. And a guy, who totally disappeared, was able to get rid of recording time limit on nx300, by directly modifying the fw somehow.

2 minutes ago, Pavel D Prichystal said:

Undecided, can you actually go through it and tell is if in your eyes this is helpful and can be used by somebody skillful to actually making upgrades out of it?
Or any other person who actually understand coding/hacking/developing?

Indeed, this is all just wishful thinking without a developer that can unravel the pipeline and (probably a good idea) someone with experience in compression and image pipelines. It's all pretty meaningless until a software engineer gets ID'd. 

Quick google search for "Samsung Tizen firmware camera" brought me to this article

http://www.tizenexperts.com/2015/08/samsung-nx1-smart-camera-software-firmware-updated-to-version-v-1-40/ 

There is a post by a gentleman named Nabil who claims to have made the camera record 6K at 240fps in 'debug' mode. We probably need to contact him.

p.s. I am downloading an NX1.zip file from here:

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital cameras

Not sure if it's the full OS for the NX1.

Its come to my attention that no one has posted the Open Source code to the NX1, its a 1.3GB sized .zip file its simply just called NX1.zip, maybe there is something in there to help you guys?

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital%20cameras

5 hours ago, M Carter said:

Indeed, this is all just wishful thinking without a developer that can unravel the pipeline and (probably a good idea) someone with experience in compression and image pipelines. It's all pretty meaningless until a software engineer gets ID'd. 

If we have the full source code everything is doable as long as the hardware can handle it. I can't go into much detail on a web post but basically we can try changing parameters in the source code, then try it. If it doesn't work, try different values. Rinse and repeat until it works. It also depends on how clean the source code is. If it is well documented, the job would be easier.

11 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

Its come to my attention that no one has posted the Open Source code to the NX1, its a 1.3GB sized .zip file its simply just called NX1.zip, maybe there is something in there to help you guys?

http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=T&menu_item=photography&classification1=digital%20cameras

Downloading it as we speak but from what I've read, it probably contains only the open source components as Samsung is required buy the licensing to release any changes they made to the open source components.

41 minutes ago, undecided said:

Downloading it as we speak but from what I've read, it probably contains only the open source components as Samsung is required buy the licensing to release any changes they made to the open source components.

I contacted Samsung regarding the release of a developer tool for the NX1, however Samsung US said no such tool was available for them to release. I have no Korean knowledge so if someone would be kind enough to try contact Samsung Korea because they definitely sit on the tools for the camera, they already pulled it out of Europe, America and Australia.

As for the Source code, its at least something to begin with, we have more than what Magic Lantern started with so I am not sure we are in a position to complain but developer tools would be welcomed if someone had them, as far as I can understand its quite possible to unlock features through the Tizen OS however implementation to hardware level has to be done differently as its a seprated code apparently so if we wanted lets say CinemaDNG we would have to go into hardware level code in order to implement it but it should be possible to remove the 29 minute record limit through Tizen OS.

I might be wrong though but its how I understood it from reading countless of forums regarding the hacking of NX1, none has ever come to fruit this one has to be the most active one I ever seen.

Early update, I scoured the source archive looking for any hints of where the HEVC bitrate may be defined. I did not see anything. I did not see any evidence of the camera UI in there either. There are a few binary folders and that means that some parts are just delivered compiled already and not in source code which means they will be hard, if not impossible to modify.

hi, i bought NX1 couple of weeks ago, so this i'm also following this 'hack' initiative.. :) 

found some header files in the NX1.zip. Unzip packages and go to  standard-armv7l\usr\include\video\drime5.

I'm no C++ programmer, but i guess there are definitions for the video settings there .. so maybe that would be helpful to someone who 'knows'...

9 hours ago, archipelago said:

hi, i bought NX1 couple of weeks ago, so this i'm also following this 'hack' initiative.. :) 

found some header files in the NX1.zip. Unzip packages and go to  standard-armv7l\usr\include\video\drime5.

I'm no C++ programmer, but i guess there are definitions for the video settings there .. so maybe that would be helpful to someone who 'knows'...

I downloaded the source code a while ago and looked at it briefly but never found anything but after reading this tread I was inspired to take a second look and I found a whole folder of C++ files in the kernel package under driver\media\drime5\hevc. I even found this comment in one of them( d5_enc_host_ctrl.c).

// Target cycle of 32x32 CU, P-slice

// Mode1, LD_LC:  870         -- UHD30p @266MHz w/ 20% margin

// Mode2, LD_HE: 1307         -- FHD60p @200MHz w/ 20% margin

// Mode3, RA_LC: 1752         -- FHD60p @266MHz w/ 20% margin

// Mode4, RA_HE: 2420         -- FHD30p @200MHz w/ 20% margin

// Mode5, AI   :  870         -- UHD30p @266MHz w/ 20% margin

Does anyone here know anything about GNU licenses? My thinking is if they are using the drime5 CPU to code and decode HEVC it would need to be built into the Tizen kernel and would need to be open source. But I dont know for sure.

I think its all there folks we just need a Linux/Tizen master to take a look at it.

I know a bit about GNU licenses and the Linux kernel, and the short answer is that no, they don't need to include anything about HEVC encoding in the open-source kernel. They could if they wanted to, but they don't have to. All Android phones are like that. The Linux kernel is running on standard ARM cores inside the DRIME5, with binary-blob drivers for things like the GPU, HEVC encoder, etc.

5 hours ago, MountneerMan said:

I downloaded the source code a while ago and looked at it briefly but never found anything but after reading this tread I was inspired to take a second look and I found a whole folder of C++ files in the kernel package under driver\media\drime5\hevc. I even found this comment in one of them( d5_enc_host_ctrl.c).

// Target cycle of 32x32 CU, P-slice

// Mode1, LD_LC:  870         -- UHD30p @266MHz w/ 20% margin

// Mode2, LD_HE: 1307         -- FHD60p @200MHz w/ 20% margin

// Mode3, RA_LC: 1752         -- FHD60p @266MHz w/ 20% margin

// Mode4, RA_HE: 2420         -- FHD30p @200MHz w/ 20% margin

// Mode5, AI   :  870         -- UHD30p @266MHz w/ 20% margin

Does anyone here know anything about GNU licenses? My thinking is if they are using the drime5 CPU to code and decode HEVC it would need to be built into the Tizen kernel and would need to be open source. But I dont know for sure.

I think its all there folks we just need a Linux/Tizen master to take a look at it.

This looks promising !