Your ideal NX1 Settings

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@ricardo_sousa11 wow looks good man !!! guess the samsung 16-50 is better than the sigma after all 

It is, I was surprised too, specially because of the stabilizer. Ill share a few more later tonight =) 

Im thinking about putting these for sell either as prints or as stock, but ill look into it further.

12 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@ricardo_sousa11 wow looks good man !!! guess the samsung 16-50 is better than the sigma after all 

I mean... Better?... Hard to say, IMO. I still have both, and can't bear to part with either. The range on the S lens is definitely more preferable than the sigma, being wider and longer, and the stabilization is pretty stellar (combine it with DIS and lateral handheld movements of the camera can look like a straight-up slider shot) and of course it's a wonderful lens for stills, but the main thing that keeps me using the sigma for video is that buttery smooth focus ring (and the constant f/1.8 of course).

I do think it's really cool you can electronically change the S lens's focus throw and sensitivity, but it's still just not the same as actual mechanical focussing, at least for me. 

But either way, gorgeous shot (as usual!!) @ricardo_sousa11

3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Blah Blah damn that is a HUGE difference ! notice anything weird like macroblocking or random changes in exposure ?

I don't know, I just took this while learning the camera, I have not shot much of anything yet. It was a 4k recording on Vivid and then I took a screenshot at 1920x1080p.

Many people have written that SmartRange is for audio but to my eyes there's a clear difference in video.

1 hour ago, Blah Blah said:

I don't know, I just took this while learning the camera, I have not shot much of anything yet. It was a 4k recording on Vivid and then I took a screenshot at 1920x1080p.

Many people have written that SmartRange is for audio but to my eyes there's a clear difference in video.

My main concern with Smartrange+ is it altering exposure mid-shot. If it's an on/off effect, that could be very useful. Videographers just tend to shy away from anything "Auto" for fear of it doing unknown things to the video.

I sold my NX1, but buying back into the Samsung line with the NX500, the same great colors and better RS (which killed the NX1 for me).

8 hours ago, Parker said:

I mean... Better?... Hard to say, IMO. I still have both, and can't bear to part with either. The range on the S lens is definitely more preferable than the sigma, being wider and longer, and the stabilization is pretty stellar (combine it with DIS and lateral handheld movements of the camera can look like a straight-up slider shot) and of course it's a wonderful lens for stills, but the main thing that keeps me using the sigma for video is that buttery smooth focus ring (and the constant f/1.8 of course).

I do think it's really cool you can electronically change the S lens's focus throw and sensitivity, but it's still just not the same as actual mechanical focussing, at least for me. 

But either way, gorgeous shot (as usual!!) @ricardo_sousa11

Sensitivity I knew about, but how do you change the S lens focus throw?

2 hours ago, NX1user said:

Sensitivity I knew about, but how do you change the S lens focus throw?

Maybe we're talking about the same thing, in the photo section of the menu when a samsung lens is connected and set to manual focus mode, there is a MF Responsiveness setting with High, Medium, and Low options that essentially controls the focus throw, from very short, to surprisingly long. 

I got lucky on a Fnac Store that had the last one, so I just waited until the price dropped with a 20% off day.

It was the last one, so I dont think itll be easy to find it at this price again. If I ever intend to sell it, ill post around here.

As for the lens, I honestly believe its slightly better than the sigma 18-35mm, the focus by wire is def. the best out there, I used the 30mm and it had a terrible focus by wire. I just prefer the handling of this lens vs the sigma, its very confortable, amazing quality and amazing stabilizer (which saved me a lot, since I dont use monopod).

16 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

My main concern with Smartrange+ is it altering exposure mid-shot. If it's an on/off effect, that could be very useful. Videographers just tend to shy away from anything "Auto" for fear of it doing unknown things to the video.

I sold my NX1, but buying back into the Samsung line with the NX500, the same great colors and better RS (which killed the NX1 for me).

YEah makes sense, do you usually lock in all settings or let some range for for example ISO?

49 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

YEah makes sense, do you usually lock in all settings or let some range for for example ISO?

Fully manual all settings, even in event work. Have had to many times when a camera made the wrong choice for me. I will check out Smartrange+ again and do more tests with it because your results look very good with highlight rolloff.

10 hours ago, Parker said:

Maybe we're talking about the same thing, in the photo section of the menu when a samsung lens is connected and set to manual focus mode, there is a MF Responsiveness setting with High, Medium, and Low options that essentially controls the focus throw, from very short, to surprisingly long. 

I'll give that try. Thanks!

On 6.9.2016 at 4:21 PM, Geoff CB said:

Fully manual all settings, even in event work. Have had to many times when a camera made the wrong choice for me. I will check out Smartrange+ again and do more tests with it because your results look very good with highlight rolloff.

I think there might be some highlights missing in the screenshot as I've had some confusion with the 0-255 showing wrong on some players.

Your Back to the Future Screening video looked superb. What settings did you have on that and how did you convert and process it afterwards? Are you using 16-235? This was with Voigtländer lenses apparently.