EOSHD Pro Color for Sony Cameras

tomsemiterrific

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Will be shooting a project this summer and we have a Sony A7S II at our disposal. Since grading capabilities is limited, we want the most accurate color possible straight out of the camera, and EOSHD Pro Color is by far the best profile I've seen out there, but we'll be shooting S-log2 for various reasons.

Would anyone be so kind to PM me the specific S-log2 settings from the old document given that I provide proof that I've actually bought the profile?:) I've read so much good stuff about the EOSHD Pro Color s-log2 settings, so I was confused when I discovered it had been pulled. Any reason why? (I have version 2.0)

Also, I understand that the S-log2 profile of EOSHD Pro Color works really well with the LUT package available for 19.99$ atm?

Hello fellow Pro Color shooters,

I am new to this forum and came across al those posts when I was looking for omething specific about the Pro Color settings for the Sony FS5. 

I wanted to see, if there are people out there shooting with a custom version based on Slog2/3 and suddenly read that there are actually settings for a slog version of Pro Color that came with earlier documentations. In my pdf file there is no such setting so I hope someone could send me those settings (screenshot or the file maybe) so I can try them out. I suppose since I bought the license that I am allowed to see them. To prove that I own a license, I attached a small screenshot of part of the confirmation email that you should be able to recognize if you bought the license. 

I tried contacting Andrew, but I he might be busy rigth now and I am waiting for a reply. I am leaving for a short trip tomorrow and hope that I could try those settings there before I could take them to a shoot. 

I hope somebody can help me out! Thanks

Any other FS5 owners here that can share some insights and experiences? 

Cheers,

Tobi

EOSHD License Screenshot.JPG

I bought the PDF and I have an A6500. Maybe I'm not reading the manual right, but I really don't understand the white balance part. Or how I should achieve it I should say. Do I point the camera at a white- or grey card until I reach the K? Or just point the camera around without white- or great card?

I think it's really hard to hit those numbers. Can I alternatively use a white card to white balance every time instead? And then make the B2M2 adjustment?

One last thing. The PDF says that A6500 does not allow color depth adjustment while an S-Gamut color mode is selected. I can choose S-Gamut3.Cine and adjust Color Depth on my A6500. So do I keep the S-Gamut3.Cine color mode or Cine4 as the PDF states? Confusing. :)

On 28/3/2017 at 5:20 PM, Davey said:

Strange. My greens are rich and deep but then I don't trust AWB. Get a grey card and see if there is any difference.

So if I use a grey card to WB with the eoshd settings, do I then still do the B2M2 adjustments?

10 hours ago, Martin Rieder said:

So if I use a grey card to WB with the eoshd settings, do I then still do the B2M2 adjustments?

1) Set all three Custom WB profiles with the same B2M2 settings - these are saved forever until you make changes to those specific values

2) Shoot grey card

3) Enter that Kelvin value into any of the three Custom WB profiles.

Most values are never far away from 3200 / 5600 / 7000 so if you want to be in the ballpark to begin with then just do as advised in the PDF.

You could have the second and third profiles set to 3200 and 7000 then use the first one as an 'exact' white balance according to the scene you are shooting currently when using a grey card.

A note to those, like me, who always went auto WB - it takes time to build a bit of muscle memory for when shooting greatly diverse scenes and having to remember to change between Custom WB profiles. I have gone from 3200 indoors, dashed outside into searing sunshine to catch the bride, and nearly called an ambulance because she looked on the verge of dying.

25 minutes ago, Davey said:

1) Set all three Custom WB profiles with the same B2M2 settings - these are saved forever until you make changes to those specific values

2) Shoot grey card

3) Enter that Kelvin value into any of the three Custom WB profiles.

Most values are never far away from 3200 / 5600 / 7000 so if you want to be in the ballpark to begin with then just do as advised in the PDF.

You could have the second and third profiles set to 3200 and 7000 then use the first one as an 'exact' white balance according to the scene you are shooting currently when using a grey card.

A note to those, like me, who always went auto WB - it takes time to build a bit of muscle memory for when shooting greatly diverse scenes and having to remember to change between Custom WB profiles. I have gone from 3200 indoors, dashed outside into searing sunshine to catch the bride, and nearly called an ambulance because she looked on the verge of dying.

Ok, so you're saying use a grey card to set all three custom WB. But I really have a problem hitting those values in the PDF. I can't dim or make my lights brighter. :( I really have a hard time figuring this out. I might not understand it completly. Anyone have a video guide? :-)

5 hours ago, Micah Mahaffey said:

ok, so I perchased Pro color a while back, but i am now wondering what the S-log 2 settings are? Also.. Why were they taken away from the updated version?? 

Yes. They do work, though - just check out Harv's video and audio stuff on YouTube. He has got the best results using S-log 2 and Pro Color.

The whole idea of this profile is to not shoot in S- LOG 2 so you can use the footage with no or minimal grading. It also gets around the problem of banding and macro blocking  artefacts that come when you reverse the LOG curve in post / grading as the huge compression  applied to the internal codec throws away so much of the tonal info it can't be properly reconstructed later.

On 2017-5-8 at 8:09 PM, Martin Rieder said:

I bought the PDF and I have an A6500. Maybe I'm not reading the manual right, but I really don't understand the white balance part. Or how I should achieve it I should say. Do I point the camera at a white- or grey card until I reach the K? Or just point the camera around without white- or great card?

I think it's really hard to hit those numbers. Can I alternatively use a white card to white balance every time instead? And then make the B2M2 adjustment?

One last thing. The PDF says that A6500 does not allow color depth adjustment while an S-Gamut color mode is selected. I can choose S-Gamut3.Cine and adjust Color Depth on my A6500. So do I keep the S-Gamut3.Cine color mode or Cine4 as the PDF states? Confusing. :)

Hi Martin, try this:

On 2017-3-6 at 0:24 AM, Mr. Ambiguous said:

For those of you struggling with the white balance setup, here's a super easy way of doing it. Since you can't adjust the Kelvin on Custom 1, 2, & 3 (for some stupid reason) on most Sony cameras, you have to point the camera at different light source and hope you nail the desired kelvin. Instead, open up a white background in photoshop. Ad a second layer and fill it with orange color. Then you just point the center of the camera on the the computer screen and dial the opacity of the orange layer to achieve the desired kelvin degree. If you want to go higher on the kelvin scale, just switch the orange layer to a blue layer and adjust the opacity accordingly to get the desired white balance:thumbsup:

//cheers

For those of you who own a Mac with the latest OS update, you can use the Nightshift function and adjust the warmth of the screen with the help of the slider, works great too!

On 2017-5-13 at 11:05 AM, Shirozina said:

The whole idea of this profile is to not shoot in S- LOG 2 so you can use the footage with no or minimal grading. It also gets around the problem of banding and macro blocking  artefacts that come when you reverse the LOG curve in post / grading as the huge compression  applied to the internal codec throws away so much of the tonal info it can't be properly reconstructed later.

I believe all of us (including myself) asking for the S-log2 settings are well aware of the banding issue and the fact that S-log2 needs grading. I've personally never had any issues with banding in S-log2 on my A7sII, and I personally believe that S-log2 is worth the "hassle" for the extra dynamic range and highlight protection, but also for it's grading compatibilities. 

On 2017-5-13 at 10:32 AM, Davey said:

Yes. They do work, though - just check out Harv's video and audio stuff on YouTube. He has got the best results using S-log 2 and Pro Color.

He's definitely got a point. I've personally had pretty good results with using the original Pro Color settings with s-log2 gamma instead, it's just that I'm curious to see for my self if Andrew's S-log2 settings were even better.

The EOSHD setting for my A7Sii and A6300 is different and I did the update as per the PDF doc. I am using the Canon straight out of camera profile and i see that the color between A6300 and A7sii output is different. Is there any setting changes that can bring both camera to look similar so that it is easier to do post work?

i've installed an free light app that allows to change kelvin values. I am not using EOSHD color so I am not sure this will help at all for nailing those WB settings.
Pocket Softbox (using android)

11 hours ago, Markus Chow said:

The EOSHD setting for my A7Sii and A6300 is different and I did the update as per the PDF doc. I am using the Canon straight out of camera profile and i see that the color between A6300 and A7sii output is different. Is there any setting changes that can bring both camera to look similar so that it is easier to do post work?

Experiment with the Color Depth settings following this guide. http://helpguide.sony.net/di/pp/v1/en/contents/TP0000909111.html

• 3 weeks later...