EOSHD Pro Color for Sony Cameras

tomsemiterrific

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, zubermen said:

My last video with this profile. Although the shitty weather I'm very happy with it. Only concern is the high saturated lights beam. Some minor grading to it.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=E7H-XNmm0as

There was a lot of obvious color grading in your video ("Dream Drives"). I thought the whole point of the EOSHD settings was to achieve a look *in the camera* not by color grading in post. Your video, whatever its other merits, looks nothing like the colors you get from the EOSHD Pro color settings out of the camera. As I understand it, these are specifically not settings for major color grading in post.

3 hours ago, markr041 said:

There was a lot of obvious color grading in your video ("Dream Drives"). I thought the whole point of the EOSHD settings was to achieve a look *in the camera* not by color grading in post. Your video, whatever its other merits, looks nothing like the colors you get from the EOSHD Pro color settings out of the camera. As I understand it, these are specifically not settings for major color grading in post.

Yep. When I did my tests I was desperate to just have a tiny pinch of raised highlights or to move the red luminosity slider in Color Finale 0.002%, but that would have defeated the object of the tests. What I did find out is that I have a minimal (and I mean minimal) amount of work to do to correct images BEFORE I go about applying a look, whereas previously I would have to spend a tonne of time just getting the right base from which to work.

On 17/2/2017 at 1:27 PM, markr041 said:

@markr041 IMHO Eos Pro Color main goal is to achive that "Canon look" from Sony Cameras, that it's a starting point to achive the final grade that you like it. And I may assure you that the grading applied was only a 709 lut. 

21 hours ago, zubermen said:

@markr041 IMHO Eos Pro Color main goal is to achive that "Canon look" from Sony Cameras, that it's a starting point to achive the final grade that you like it. And I may assure you that the grading applied was only a 709 lut. 

I remain confused by the purpose of posting your heavily-graded (the way it looks, whatever you did to it) video here and especially your response to my question. A LUT translates a specific color space/gamma to something else, like REC709 or some film emulation. It is a translation from x to y.There is thus no such thing as a (REC) "709 lut" - there is a VLOG L to REC709 LUT or a SLOG3.sgamut.cine to REC709 LUT, etc. I know of no EOSHD SONY Pro COLOR to REC709 LUT. Applying such a LUT in any case would defeat the purpose of the PRO COLOR, which to get more pleasing color out of the camera. Of course you can grade from that, but that usually means more than just applying some LUT, let alone a REC709 LUT. In any case, the video that was posted is neither showing REC709 colors (for sure) nor EOSHD colors and tells us nothing about the merits of EOS Pro Color. I am not criticizing the look of the video, just asking what we are supposed to learn about EOS Pro Color from it?

6 hours ago, markr041 said:

.There is thus no such thing as a (REC) "709 lut" - there is a VLOG L to REC709 LUT or a SLOG3.sgamut.cine to REC709 LUT, 

Not necessarily getting involved in your discussion, but I would argue that this is incorrect. There are absolutely rec 709 to rec 709 luts.

I did not say there were no REC709 to REC709 LUTS. I said that saying one used a "709 LUT" is not informative. You yourself said x to y LUT (where both x and y are REC709), fine. But y LUT is meaningless. Get it? I was just trying to understand what exactly the poster did; not a criticism.

8 hours ago, markr041 said:

I did not say there were no REC709 to REC709 LUTS. I said that saying one used a "709 LUT" is not informative. You yourself said x to y LUT (where both x and y are REC709), fine. But y LUT is meaningless. Get it? I was just trying to understand what exactly the poster did; not a criticism.

@markr041 Lut used was in Lumetri Panel "SL Clean Fuji A NDR" nothing more. 

Many example videos using EOSHD Pro Color settings are either taken exclusively at night or mucked up with Luts that completely alter the color, so you cannot see what the Pro Color settings do.

So here is a video shot using the Sony A7s ii in daylight with no Lut applied in post. The main subjects are flowers - nature's color palette (although there is also a cat). There are plenty of blues, greens, yellows, whites, reds, etc (though no human skin).

HH 6.jpg

HH 1.jpg

HH 11.jpg

HH 2.jpg

2 hours ago, cameraeye said:

I have a question that I can't find an answer to in the thread and from the guides. Can you use Eoshd cinema/log with the fs7? I want to match an fs7 to an a7sii as close as possible before touching it in the grade.

The original PDF had a BETA set of instructions for the fs7 with a note saying 'partial comparability'.

The updated PDFs omitted these.

1 hour ago, Dipak said:

Is there any free lut pack with this guide.? Just got the guide today but there was only one link in the email to download the guide... nothing else ... 

You may have missed the point. The Sony settings are for the camera. The camera has a sufficiently rich set of tools that there is no need for further manipulation in an editor, unless you want to grade according to your taste (say, using your own lut). The settings are for getting good color right out of the camera. No lut needed.