Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
30 minutes ago, samuel.cabral said:

Hey guys, check this out!

If it only had a mic input...

I think i'll wait for the gh5

It almost looks like there is a little zoom during the walking, but either way it looks great... The IS and the quality. This may be the first camera I preorder. 

This looks simply awesome! I've been struggling for weeks now to get my Nebula 4000 balanced after putting it away in my closet for a year... For me, the biggest downside of the GH4 is whether I'm using Pansonic lenses or a Speed Booster with Sigma glass, my images are all shaky, defeating the whole point of 4K. I will definitely be getting either the GX80 or upcoming GH5 based on this clip.

• Administrators

Yep, looks like it has that Olympus magic to me :)

Finally they give us what we want... and cheap!

Big dilemma now... is it worth waiting for the GH5 for newer sensor, possibly dual pixel AF, LOG and slow-mo?

Either way, looks like Panasonic is back in the game. IBIS to this standard is a BIG advantage over Sony.

On 4/5/2016 at 6:10 PM, majoraxis said:

This is exciting but it's not something I would purchase for the same reason I will not purchase the G7.  I would like to record internal 4k and monitor via HDMI.  If the GX85 allows HDMI monitoring while recording 4K internally, then I will consider purchasing, especially if it does as well as the G7 at high ISOs.

Same here.

The G7 is almost an impulse buy at only $600 right now at B&H... except I really want (need) to monitor via HDMI while shooting video.

Shooting 4K internally is great... but checking focus on a 3" screen isn't.   :( 

A question to all... has anyone tried using a G7 with Panasonic's iPad app? I wonder if the image is good enough for monitoring.

10 minutes ago, Simon Shasha said:

So just to verify - without a Panasonic OIS lens, it's 3-Axis, with a Panasonic OIS lens it's 5-Axis? Or am I way off?

Panasonic makes this so confusing, but everything I have read so far indicates that it is 5-Axis without the OIS lens. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yep, looks like it has that Olympus magic to me :)

Finally they give us what we want... and cheap!

Big dilemma now... is it worth waiting for the GH5 for newer sensor, possibly dual pixel AF, LOG and slow-mo?

Either way, looks like Panasonic is back in the game. IBIS to this standard is a BIG advantage over Sony.

Yeah. It looks great. I think it's worth getting now. With it's size, it can be a b-cam or a crash cam once the GH5 comes out. 

Yeah, they seem to differentiate between 5-axis B.I.S. and 5-axis Dual I.S. which includes the help of O.I.S. on 2 of the 5 axis. So either way, you're getting the same 5-axis stabilized. Just not Dual without an O.I.S. lens. You know. To keep things simple 'n all...

On 6-4-2016 at 5:00 PM, Cinegain said:

Yeah, the way they make it sound is that either way it results in 5-axis stabilization, just perhaps not Dual (2-axis O.I.S. correcting two of the same axis as the 5-axis B.I.S.).

The LUMIX GX85 incorporates a new 5-axis Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer) for more effective suppression of blur. Combining an O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer, 2-axis) and a B.I.S.(Body Image Stabilizer, 5-axis), the 5-axis Dual I.S. compensates for a larger range of movement than ever before.

So yeah... hum. :grin:

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

[..]

Yeah. It looks great. I think it's worth getting now. With it's size, it can be a b-cam or a crash cam once the GH5 comes out. 

Think so too... all the vintage stuff, all the cinema primes, all the speedboosted third party lenses like the Sigma... suddenly stabilized. With G7-like 4K? 'Oh mama!' (Johnny Bravo voice)

• Administrators

5 axis...

X
Y
Roll (rotation - this can be done mechanically for stills, or digitally with crop in video mode)
Pitch (tilt up / down correction)
Yaw (tilt left / right correction)

I can see roll, pitch and yaw being done digitally with a crop in video mode or via OIS.

It depends if the mechanical sensor movement covers all 5 axis, or just X, Y and Roll, using the lens for pitch and yaw (like Sony's system)

Does the Olympus system correct by tilting the sensor pitch and yaw? I think it probably does.

If so then Panasonic might be doing the same thing - all 5 axis on the sensor.

Then it would work with manual lenses with no electronic contacts, just like the Olympus system.

Or it may be that in video mode the electro-magnetic IBIS compensates for 3 axis (X, Y and roll) but uses electronic image shift with small crop to achieve pitch and yaw correction in 4K video mode. Maybe roll would be electronically compensated too.

OIS usually compensates for yaw and pitch.

EDIT: it looks like they do indeed have 5 axis IBIS so the sensor can move on the X and Y axis, plus rotate, plus tilt horizontally and vertically. So same as Olympus.

What they do with the OIS is probably improve the yaw and pitch control by switching the IBIS to 3 axis and doing the other 2 on the lens. This might reduce image warping especially with wide angle lenses. This was an issue with the Olympus system in video mode

• Administrators

Summary of the differences:

GX80 Dual IS and Sony A7R II with OIS lens
3 axis on the sensor (X,Y, roll) and 2 axis (yaw / pitch) on the OIS lens

GX80 BIS and Olympus E-M5 II
5 axis on the sensor, with any lens including the vintage stuff (however warping from yaw and pitch movement may appear in videos)

Canon OIS lens
2 axis on the lens - yaw and pitch. Does not correct for roll. Cannot lock down the shot on X and Y axis but does reduce camera shake caused by yaw and pitch jitter.

Maybe they'll do a version with unlocked ProRes. That'd be pretty sweet. Imagine a BMPCC with the formfactor and usability of the GH4R and the new tech avancements such as the GX80 5-axis B.I.S. . But you know, you can only go on what you know... and that would be that MP4 and AVCHD will be their go-to standards, as it has been for years. And especially in something affordable such as the GX80 that's more of a guinea pig than an actual purposely made video tool as it still lacks flat/optimized profiles, interfaces, etc.

1 minute ago, hijodeibn said:

something better than 8bit 4:2:0……but it was just a dream!!!…..I guess GH5 will use the same….. :(

well there's MORE potential with the gh5 they try and do 10 bit internal or something, but this is no disappointment or surprise. it's actually a pretty decent balance as far as I understand. smallish files, that can record onto a cheap card, edit on any computer, and hold up alright to grading for the most part. some issues with internal v-log, but otherwise no banding and perfectly fine detail. this is like a $500 camera, right..?

Don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but the GX85 is limited to 29 minutes video recording time (euro tax law). The GX80 is not limited to that european tax grab, only the battery life limiting which apparently gives it another 10 min up to about 40min in 4k.