Petition for Samsung NX1 hack

kidzrevil

On 6/12/2020 at 5:41 PM, keessie65 said:

Thank you! I now switched from NX1 to X-T3 to X-T4. 

Ah! that is the case when you leave your trustworthy NX1, you change a camera every year!

I went the middle way, bought a P4K, and still using the good ol'NX cameras!

Have you sold all your NX equipement, then? 

What do you think in general NX1 vs X-T3 and now the X-T4?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/15/2020 at 4:24 AM, Kisaha said:

Ah! that is the case when you leave your trustworthy NX1, you change a camera every year!

I went the middle way, bought a P4K, and still using the good ol'NX cameras!

Have you sold all your NX equipement, then? 

What do you think in general NX1 vs X-T3 and now the X-T4?

I have sold all my NX1 gear. I love new things, but to be honest; NX1 has a way better grip and I liked that camera a lot. I hacked my NX1 and that improved quality, but the dynamic range had also his limitations, especially on skintones at sunny days (whitening out). I use my camera mostly for filming with vintage and anamorphic lenses. Sometimes I use the camera professional photos for a magazine. X-T4 has a bigger battery and IBIS. Also the smart switch between photo and film is a big plus. I think when X-H2 comes out, I switch again, but then I will keep my X-T4 for photographing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, keessie65 said:

I have sold all my NX1 gear. I love new things, but to be honest; NX1 has a way better grip and I liked that camera a lot. I hacked my NX1 and that improved quality, but the dynamic range had also his limitations, especially on skintones at sunny days (whitening out). I use my camera mostly for filming with vintage and anamorphic lenses. Sometimes I use the camera professional photos for a magazine. X-T4 has a bigger battery and IBIS. Also the smart switch between photo and film is a big plus. I think when X-H2 comes out, I switch again, but then I will keep my X-T4 for photographing. 

How is the Fujifilm colour science compared to NX1? I am struggling to find anything remotely comparable to the in-camera NX1 colours just the one single reason I never got a camcorder for video.

• Andrew Reid unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 7:53 AM, SMGJohn said:

How is the Fujifilm colour science compared to NX1? I am struggling to find anything remotely comparable to the in-camera NX1 colours just the one single reason I never got a camcorder for video.

I am wondering that too... I would also see, which one are the suggested settings to have the best dynamic range?

On 7/24/2020 at 10:49 PM, sev7en said:

I am wondering that too... I would also see, which one are the suggested settings to have the best dynamic range?

Master Black Levels at -15

0-255

GammaDR with 0.95 greens, sharpness at -10 and contrast at -10

And with the hack you want the video files at 130+ bitrate just to avoid the banding issues you might run into otherwise.
You can always tweak the master black levels and contrast to something like -10 and -5 respectably.

This is at least the flattest profile I ever gotten out of it when it was 80 bitrate I had banding issues in the sky, but increasing to 135 bitrate solved a lot of it.

7 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

Master Black Levels at -15

0-255

GammaDR with 0.95 greens, sharpness at -10 and contrast at -10

And with the hack you want the video files at 130+ bitrate just to avoid the banding issues you might run into otherwise.
You can always tweak the master black levels and contrast to something like -10 and -5 respectably.

This is at least the flattest profile I ever gotten out of it when it was 80 bitrate I had banding issues in the sky, but increasing to 135 bitrate solved a lot of it.

Thank you! 

• 4 months later...

😁 Well, well, this certainly was a long read that took quite a few days.... I have to say it was quite a ride to read. 

In my case, still using my NX cameras but pretty stock, it was until last month that I found that there were "hacks" for both the NX1 and NX500 and decided to get up to speed and do some shooting.

Sadly, I have not been able to find much around. The old NXKS2 hack is nowhere to be found (can someone share it?) I'd like to experiment with that before trying Vasile's method. 

It seems I lost the boat on accessories like cages, or adapters like the NXL that sadly are not popping up in an amazon or eBay search or anywhere.  It was strange as well to see that many of the comparison videos linked here were taken down in one way or another. 

I still feel very happy with my NX lineup in 2023. I wonder how it compares to whatever others had upgraded in the past years as I still feel it can hold up for a while - in my humble stock mode-. Now I'm anxious to try the hacks from 2016 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 9:06 PM, PannySVHS said:

How was rolling shutter on these babes? Iirc, they are fine up to Iso 800, from there it's mush galore. Would love to test a hacked NX500 some day. But actually I should just use the gear i own instead of buying anything new or old!😂

I still have my good old NX1 and NX500.
Indeed, even at ISO 200, with bad light, details fall apart, very mushy.
Back in 2014/2015 I was really disappointed by this mushy rendering in low light compared to my GH4, I was one of the first to point out  : 

This exactly what the S5II is doing with most picture profiles (internal), of course the S5II has much better low light performance so it's much less worse, but when I crop inside the low light videos of both my S1 and S5II, I can see more or less the same difference, the S1 keeps much better details than my S5II (V-Log is really better but details are still not as good as on the S1, mostly because of weird edge sharpening).

About the rolling shutter, it is really bad in 4K on the NX1, one the worst I've seen, but the image was and is still gorgeous with the right light, especially with the 16-50mm and 50-150mm NX S. Iirc, the RS is close to 30ms.

I also have the NX500 somewhere in my house, but I never really liked the video quality compared to the NX1. In good light the NX1 is full of details, the NX500 much less, probably because of the big crop. Also the NX500 has more difficulty to nail the focus in 4K, and it has no electronic stabilization, which is very handy with the little 30mm and 45mm on the NX1.
I used the hacked firmware of the NX500 allowing the 2,5K mode, the rolling shutter was excellent, below 10ms for sure, but the image quality was not good, there was sometimes weird lines and aliasing.

On 11/10/2023 at 1:04 AM, KaBiSuWa said:

😁 Well, well, this certainly was a long read that took quite a few days.... I have to say it was quite a ride to read. 

In my case, still using my NX cameras but pretty stock, it was until last month that I found that there were "hacks" for both the NX1 and NX500 and decided to get up to speed and do some shooting.

Sadly, I have not been able to find much around. The old NXKS2 hack is nowhere to be found (can someone share it?) I'd like to experiment with that before trying Vasile's method. 

It seems I lost the boat on accessories like cages, or adapters like the NXL that sadly are not popping up in an amazon or eBay search or anywhere.  It was strange as well to see that many of the comparison videos linked here were taken down in one way or another. 

I still feel very happy with my NX lineup in 2023. I wonder how it compares to whatever others had upgraded in the past years as I still feel it can hold up for a while - in my humble stock mode-. Now I'm anxious to try the hacks from 2016 🙂 

this one?
https://github.com/ottokiksmaler/nx500_nx1_modding?fbclid=IwAR1JWyGadXkD3bG2Q9rdK_8R_wk9mUuPvsHzYRWMfle8XxALsZPJKc6pHvg