Did Samsung just kill the A7rii?

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

The problem is that it does not correct the jello from the rolling shutter :

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/161-camcorders/2107714-effect-new-samsung-nx1-dis-stability.html

To my eye the example in your link shows that it massively reduces jello...

Btw, in my experience stabilisation always reduces jello. What IS is it you have used that also has some sort of additional jello correction? Never heard of it before.

No cheese on toast then?! Pity...

Did you watch it?

Did you watch it?

No, I didn't. But that's title up there to ask it ; )

Nothing against new, on the contrary. I just think lots of posts to understimate the new Sony toy, only because we have lots of thousands invested in old toys. So, the feeling is why not to wait for a7SII? (hey, hey, but I do still photography for large formats and for living!) Next Samsung's? (and so on) That's the whole beef over the argument IMHO. I believe we need to argue objectively instead :-)

To my eye the example in your link shows that it massively reduces jello...

Btw, in my experience stabilisation always reduces jello. What IS is it you have used that also has some sort of additional jello correction? Never heard of it before.

It corrects the vibrations but not the jello. If you look closely the first video on that forum you will see that the DIS image is transformed and looks very unnatural. At this point you are better off doing it in post. 

E-M1 tries to compensate for the rolling shutter and from my experience is very good at it. 

It corrects the vibrations but not the jello. If you look closely the first video on that forum you will see that the DIS image is transformed and looks very unnatural. At this point you are better off doing it in post. 

E-M1 tries to compensate for the rolling shutter and from my experience is very good at it. 

I've seen Olympus' IBIS to beat Sony (but no 4K, no 8K), Samsung's AF to beat Sony (but again, something to not offer: 8K for large prints in this case). The whole point IMO is the fact no camera is better than the other but, that camera is better than the other for your needs. My whole beef, actually.

• Super Members

oh dear god, never in post.

sorry all I see is reduced vibrations and jello.

But it sounds like none of you have the camera. So let's all try and not stear the thread of topic and wait for someone that have it to confirm or deny the usability of the DIS. 

Rumor says the DIS doesn't loose any substantial image quality, anybody that can confirm? 

And does it work with manual lenses?

1. It is amazing. Massively reduces jitters and rs. And I see no degradation. There is a slight crop, indicating the camera is still sampling from almost the whole sensor even with DIS to get UHD video.

2. Yes, works with any lens. There are videos using DIS with manual lenses, and it works fine.

Now, there is a penalty that I have seen: If the subject is moving, say in the wind, the DIS algorithm will try to keep the subject in place. Effectively, if the subject (say, a flower), is moving up and down the clip makes it look like the camera is following the flower movements!

But other than that, the Samsung DIS seems as good as IBIS, maybe better for video. This feature was an utter surprise, and a real breakthrough.

I would argue that one never needs image stabilization. It's nice to have, not need to have, especially for video, for which many other vibration-dampening solutions are available.

LOL Right. Especially when After Effects makes wonders! (Sorry Mattias!)

Well, here's an Sony's IBIS sample with "lots of quality loss" ; )

PS: Adding information on that sample's OP... Mattias Burling ;-)

LOL Right. Especially when After Effects makes wonders! (Sorry Mattias!)

Well, here's an Sony's IBIS sample with "lots of quality loss" ; )

PS: Adding information on that sample's OP... Mattias Burling ;-)

...was that actually meant to address me? Because that in no way proved that image stabilization is ever necessary.

For example, I like using what my friends and I refer to as the Polish Steadicam, which is a wide lens and someone with very steady hands. No electronic stabilization necessary. And somehow, for the 200 years that filmmaking has existed, thousands of great movies have been made, despite no professional PL cinema camera having IS. 

Crazy, huh!? :p

...was that actually meant to address me? Because that in no way proved that image stabilization is ever necessary.

For example, I like using what my friends and I refer to as the Polish Steadicam, which is a wide lens and someone with very steady hands. No electronic stabilization necessary. And somehow, for the 200 years that filmmaking has existed, thousands of great movies have been made, despite no professional PL cinema camera having IS. 

Crazy, huh!? :p

Stabilization can surely be helpful to any low budget setup. I still remember the feeling when (in the early 90s) Steadicam Jr popped up or Sony came with Optical Stabilization in their consumer line! The matter is the same that OP's sample posted by his hand can prove. Otherwise, the devil isn't always in the details. At times, the forest is bigger than the tree. Honestly, I can't see where "lots of quality loss" is when all jitters can be properly replaced in After Effects, as for instance.  

looks like it's trying to stabilize fixed on the plants and not actually along with the camera movements..? looks surreal and odd. that just me?

I guess there'll always be limitations as already posted for sure, but this last DIS/OIS combo example seems to me much cleaner than any other posted previously.