Canon's new $30,000 video camera does only 1080p

LimitBreak

The ME20F-SH is a low light capable video camera with photosites sized to 19 microns on it's 2.26 MP full-frame 35mm CMOS sensor to deliver an ISO equivalent of more than 4 million. The suggested retail price is $30,000

I guess the A7s just got a little competition lol, will see how the cheaper A7sII will stack up in the Iso capabilities and real world low light performance. 

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/30/canon-me20f-sh/

http://***URL removed***/articles/5496399487/canon-multi-purpose-me20f-sh-camera-reaches-iso-4-million

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's a specialty camera. Higher end production companies will buy it for specific purposes.

It looks like big boy grown-up stuff.  

Hobbyists and corporate video small frye like me can stay content with consumer gear. 

But look on the bright side (pun intended) --what this camera is doing impressively now will be commonplace in a handful of years. 

Contemplate the repercussions of that. 

Actually it says that it Pushes ISO to 4 Million. Which is technically 10 yimws that of the A7S. How much of that is really usable is what will be the deciding factor. And what other tricks it can do Apart from the 4million ISO

Actually it says that it Pushes ISO to 4 Million. Which is technically 10 yimws that of the A7S. How much of that is really usable is what will be the deciding factor. And what other tricks it can do Apart from the 4million ISO

Will the sensor is only 2 mp resulting in bigger pixels/photosites , while the A7S is 12 mp, so if Sony were to make the A7sII 8 MP for 4K capability with BSI and other enhancements it can probably reach above 1 million + ISO.

And without real world results and how much noise it generates, how much DR it retains, etc.. we can not tell.

Will the sensor is only 2 mp resulting in bigger pixels/photosites , while the A7S is 12 mp, so if Sony were to make the A7sII 8 MP for 4K capability with BSI and other enhancements it can probably reach above 1 million + ISO.

And without real world results and how much noise it generates, how much DR it retains, etc.. we can not tell.

Incidentally Canon had posted a very low res video of this sensor way back when they gave out the press releases. It has 480p or so resolution (or was it 240p?). 

Incidentally even at that resolution it seemed disappointing. I am sure they have done a few tricks since then. Let's what how it performs. 

Anyone remember this one? That sure was impressive.

Extremely impressive. I remember this. But the sensor has very noticeable fixed pattern noise. Also, the video upload has been limited to 360p, at which resolution too, interestingly it has fixed pattern noise, like I mentioned. 

Ok, yeah, two years ago my mind was blown. But it's just a limited demo shot, so I'll give them a break. Two years later... who knows what they can pull off. Although we then might find ourselves again arguing if this is opens up creative possibilities or if it's just gimmicky and naieve and lazy not to shape your scene with light...

You can push the ISO 4 stops more than the A7s. One would think that just like 409,000 ISO on the A7s is pushing the realms of usability, then maximum ISO on this camera might also be pushing it (you can go to 12,800 ISO on the RED, but I'm still going to use it almost exclusively at 320-640).

That does mean though that 1mil or even 2mil ISO might be useable, and certainly one would think that 409,000 ISO will be much cleaner than on the A7s. That being said, it's all speculation at this point - I can see this being used on docos, but will be interesting to see if this actually finds a market other than really specialty niche applications

• Super Members

Im thinking National Geographic, Nocturnal animals, caves, deep sea, Discovery Channel, "Worlds Darkest Gold Mines" and such.
Its like a Gopro or Phantom, no need for extra tricks or features.
One task, high ISO, that's it.

But who knows, might be usable for lots of things. Looking forward to finding out.

• Super Members

"Ok ,you sir, yes you the male Lion.. could you move closer to the Arri light and Esteban can you walk up and put a reflector on that crocodile. Sweet, everyone ready?
Ok, "On the African River Banks at Night", Scene 5, Roll Sound, Camera, Action!... Cut!,
Ok someone explain why they are all running away? and Esteban stop putting your head in the crocodiles mouth...."

• Super Members

I'm actually a bit shocked of the comments it gets at No Film School.
Are people claiming to be film makers, creative, artists really that narrow minded and straight up stupid. Or is it that its only trolls visiting that site these days?

People are really without being ironic talking about it and comparing to Red Epic, Alexa and even A7s!!!!?
They honestly think Canon meant this camera for prosumers and enthusiasts to shoot some drunk girl in a brides dress?
Cant their imagination expand more than "surveillance" like for example nature, sports (night time enduro), space?
They honestly see no potential with this sort of tech that a cheap LED cant replace?

If so, imo, filmmaking is not what they should be doing. At least not in any sort of creative fashion.

Am I right in thinking that this is Canon's first product that has a full-frame sensor, yet supports EF-S lenses? Hopefully a sign that a Canon full-frame mirrorless might not be a pipe dream.

On another note, since there's presumably an APS-C crop mode for using EF-S lenses, and the sensor has a 1:1 readout, that would mean that the available resolution in APS-C mode would only be 1200x675px. Be interesting to see how that's handled.