Sony has gone internal-4K crazy: A7RII, RX1004, RX10II

utsira

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"Unrivaled 4K Movie Shooting Performance

The impressive video credentials of Sony’s new α7R II camera include the ability to record movies in 4K quality (QFHD 3840×2160) in either Super 35mm crop mode or full-frame mode.
In Super 35mm mode, the camera collects a wealth of information from approximately 1.8x as many pixels as 4K by using full pixel readout without pixel binning and oversamples the information to produce 4K movies with minimal moire and ‘jaggies’.

In full-frame mode, the α7RII utilizes the full width of the 35mm sensor for 4K recording, allowing users to utilize the expanded expressive power of the sensor.  It is the world’s first digital camera to offer this in-camera full-frame format 4K recording capacity1.

The camera utilizes the advanced XAVC S7 codec during video shooting, which records at a high bit rate of 100 Mbps during 4K recording and 50 Mbps during full HD shooting.
Additionally, the α7RII model features a variety of functions to support a professional video workflow including Picture Profile, S-Log2 Gamma and S-Gamut, 120fps high frame rate movie shooting in HD (720p), time code, clean HDMI output and more."

That sounds very promising.. 

I just hope the stabilization works better than the A7ii 

Wowzahs. Sony upping the ante. That's good for the market! Take notice Nikon & Canon!

Too bad the IV can only record 4K up to 5 mins. Seemed to have figured out fast readouts, now we need something against overheating, that doesn't include a cooldown period after a couple of minutes shooting. Too bad indeed no A7SII yet. With image stablization could be quite something. But perhaps the A7RII surprises!

oh wow, the a7rii is great, poor canon.

​Poor everyone..
Panasonic, Samsung, Nikon, whatever...

If it doesn't have some major faults this truly is the perfect hybrid for photography/video and miles ahead of everything else. $3200 is damn cheap for what you get.
It even does phase detection AF with (some) third party lenses, 399 phase detection points on sensor...

Is it in camera 4k? Doesn't say so in the article.

​Good point. The Press release doesn't mention anything like external recording though. No footnotes either. If it's external recording they fucked up the press release...

Edit: it states that the A7R II uses XAVC S7 codec and records 100Mbps 4K. So this is internally for sure. If it was external only they wouldn't give a bitrate because it'd be uncompressed.

​DPreview says 4K at XAVC S format, so must be internal!

​Yep, just saw it and edited my post. XAVC-S 100Mbps.

Super35mm 4K sample:

Haven't found any fullframe 4K footage yet. I think we can expect 4K from the full sensor to have some faults (moire / aliassing) No way the whole 42MP resolution can be downsized to 4K internally.

Wow, when Sony said they were targeting high end consumer level imaging products, they weren't kidding.  Most of my canon glass is gone.  The most expensive one left is the 70-200 mk2...  I should sell it soon.  Canon is dead in the water unless they can pull a rabbit out of their bottoms.  Their products are going to be worth less (or is that "worthless" hahahahah).  I wonder what the low light ability is for the A7RII.

Wow, when Sony said they were targeting high end consumer level imaging products, they weren't kidding.  Most of my canon glass is gone.  The most expensive one left is the 70-200 mk2...  I should sell it soon.  Canon is dead in the water unless they can pull a rabbit out of their bottoms.  Their products are going to be worth less (or is that "worthless" hahahahah).  I wonder what the low light ability is for the A7RII.

​wonder about the dynamic range too, hope as good as the a7s

This is insanity. I thought that the next big thing would be the A7smkii. But yeah, like others have said, I have relatively low expectations for the 5-axis stabilization because of the A7ii (although I'd love to be surprised). I'm curious if the dynamic range will still be as good as the A7s. Part of the reason the A7s has such great range is due to the fact that it has a 12mp sensor. Will it be as easy to achieve that with a 42mp sensor? Very exciting.