Lumix S9

Davide DB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Something tells me that this wasn't a camera made for a grip. Panasonic screwed up the marketing and release of this camera. From the lrumors.com "leaks" to not being clear when to release product shots, the communication is all over the place. My guess is that this camera will be available very soon; otherwise, there wouldn't have been so much info. We'll see later today what this thing is all about.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Rumoured that "doesn’t have a fan, recording is limited to 10 minutes at 6K and 15 minutes at 4K"...

With the LUTs app and smartphone connectivity, maybe this cam is aimed at people shooting for rapid posting on Instagram and other social media. I could actually see it being useful for concert videos, for example, where you could upload quick snippets of a concert to Instagram during or right after the concert, and they'd look a cut above the usual smartphone captures.

They seem to bet a lot on this app.
The Japanese are at least 15 years behind on the subject and Panasonic has given birth to the worst apps in the history of computing.

There is a special circle of hell for Panasonic developers.
Every time I open the app for the GH5, a programmer, somewhere in the world, dies.

image.png.441a738a24ad8722339b1e17946d67e3.png

Definitely a social media cam. If it works with adapted lenses (no reason I can see why not), it might be a good solution for me as I do a lot of concert photography (and some video) of young musicians who want to share photos and videos in real time or close to it.

10 minute recording limit in 6K modes, 15 minute recording limit in 4K modes.  Completely lacks all-I, ProRes, and external raw.  Has PDAF and IBIS.  Uses the same sensor as S5 II/S5 IIx.

Could be great for casual use.  Maybe people will convince Panasonic to add a better codec in a future firmware update.

15 minutes ago, bjohn said:

Definitely a social media cam. If it works with adapted lenses (no reason I can see why not), it might be a good solution for me as I do a lot of concert photography (and some video) of young musicians who want to share photos and videos in real time or close to it.

Doubt it. You'll be fighting with lighting frequencies due to the electronic-only shutter. It might not be that bad though, but I think you might miss some shots. IMO it's more of a "if I miss the shot, no big deal" type camera.

I recently did a backpacking trip and brought an S5. The same sensor and same image quality in a smaller, lighter package would have been nice. I'm glad to see Panasonic making a small FF camera. Hopefully their next generation will have an EVF, more like the Sony A7C series I suppose. Actually, though, I'd be even more interested in some really small lenses for L mount. Their 26mm f8 is way too slow, but hey at least they're making a start.

So, Panasonic seems to have designated the S9 as the "fun camera." It seems that would have been better for M43. Also, the Realtime LUT feature reminds me why I hated using Sony picture profiles- you just never really understand what they're doing. Actually, it's such a breath of fresh air to use the VX 981 camcorder as there's NO picture profile, just "standard" with contrast, saturation, and sharpness.

I can see people being completely overwhelmed with these LUT features- you can stack up to 2 LUTs with varying degrees of opacity! That's crazy talk! My "magic sauce" for my shots will be VLOG with Bob's version of Kodachrome 64 set to 40% with Biff's Orange and Teal blockbuster LUT set to 60% and it only took me 3 years to figure it out.

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

You'll be fighting with lighting frequencies due to the electronic-only shutter.

Good point. It probably isn't sophisticated enough to have an anti-flicker feature like some other cams do to avoid banding.

49 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Oh man I already own an s5 and s5ii. Now I read in a comment they may have fixed the AF on 1080p 60fps modes. Which is my main issue with the s5 ii. 

Don't worry just yet. There might be a fix for the S5ii if they fixed it in the S9- and that's a big "if".

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

I recently did a backpacking trip and brought an S5. The same sensor and same image quality in a smaller, lighter package would have been nice. I'm glad to see Panasonic making a small FF camera. Hopefully their next generation will have an EVF, more like the Sony A7C series I suppose. Actually, though, I'd be even more interested in some really small lenses for L mount. Their 26mm f8 is way too slow, but hey at least they're making a start.

If you really picky about image quality, the S9 (if it has the same IQ than the S5II) has not the same video quality than the S5. Each time I crop inside the videos of my S5II, I remember how good the S5 is. 
Some people don't see the difference in image quality, but the difference on skin textures by exemple is not insignificant.
If the S9 has the same video IQ than the S5 and the same AF than the S5II, I will buy it for sure.

Based only on specs:

Pros for S9

• 258g lighter
  • Smaller body
  • $300 cheaper than S5ii
  • LUT mayhem if you're into that

Pros for S5ii

• EVF
  • Mechanical shutter
  • Dual card slots
  • Headphone jack
  • True unlimited recording with a fan
  • Way more buttons and customization in the body
  • Proxy recording
  • 14bit Raw files
  • Better grip
  • Weather sealed body

These are just off the top of my head and there are probably more. The S9 will never have those things, but I bet the S5ii will also pick up the S9's LUT features. That's a HELL OF A LOT for the price of 258g and $300 more. You'd really have to love the looks of the S9 I think (and it does look cool). If the S9 were sub $1000, maybe (for me).

Updated list:

Pros for S9

• 258g lighter
  • Smaller body
  • $300 cheaper than S5ii
  • LUT mayhem if you're into that
  • Cold shoe

Pros for S5ii

• EVF
  • Mechanical shutter
  • Dual card slots
  • Headphone jack
  • True unlimited recording with a fan
  • Way more buttons and customization in the body
  • Proxy recording
  • 14bit Raw files
  • Better grip
  • Weather sealed body
  • Hot shoe for flash photography and XLR adapter

The more I think about the S9, the more I think it really has a "it doesn't have an optical low-pass filter" as a feature kind of vibe.

Also, I'm truly baffled by the 26mm fixed f8 manual focus "lens" for $200- WTF. What were you thinking, Panasonic?