Kipon Canon EF lens adapter for Micro Four Thirds shows insanely impressive AF performance

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

This video very clearly shows how impressive the new Kipon EF adapter is for Micro Four Thirds. It is shown working with the Canon 70-200mm F2.8L on the Panasonic GX7. I expect performance to be even more impressive on the GH4 thanks to its cutting edge AF engine.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is big, for videography this is seriously big news.

That GH4 peaking is damn misleading, it takes practice to really know when it's in focus at large apertures.

They have my money, i hope they can keep up with the orders.

Is development of this tech in speed booster form a given or wishful thinking?  Does seem likely, but any idea if anything is actually underway in that regard?  

I'd love to get my Canon ASP-C glass autofocusing on the GX7/EM5II.  Mostly for photos, but it would be useful on video too.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Wow. Canon make the best glass, m43s/sony make the best bodies (video), this is a unifying product of the best of both worlds. It's pretty significant, especially if it has no bugs as in support IS, Aperture, AF, and drive electronic lenses. SB glass in there would be product of the year!

Just from the video = Well done!

Andrew, any idea if they develop it for FE mount? 

Sony A7 series is cool, but lenses are damned expensive. I mean, 800 bucks for 55 1.8 when Canon just released the new 50 1.8 STM for 169 dollars ... (I know the 55 Sony has better IQ but still). 
I was reluctant investing in Sony FE mount (get A7S with 3 lenses) until Canon show what they have to offer (5D4, 5DC, full frame EOS-M,...). Well investing in Canon glass (best glasses, lots of cheap ones, remain value used, big used market) with this adapter on Sony A7 bodies could be an idea. 

First time newbie poster here with a real rookie question.  If I put a 100-500mm
AF Sigma(or does it have to be Canon?)lens onto my GH4 by using this new Kipon AF MFT adapter will it be
500mm or is it the 35mm equivalent of 1000mm?  Thanks.

​It will be 1000mm equivalent. The adapter does not change the cropfactor of the camera.

It's hard to say if your Sigma (150-500? there is no 100-500) will work. Not all lenses work perfectly on such adapters. Even not all Canon lenses. I don't know if Kipon has a list of supported lenses, like Metabones does. I haven't seen it yet. The only way to know for sure is to try it out... or you could try asking Kipon support.

I am very much looking forward to this.     I want one now!

I have a couple of combinations with the Sony A7s and A7 that are actually usable for AF.    135 f2 L in particular is usable for portraits as long as people are not moving their feet.

On an A7s it works the same in really low light long after my Canon 7D has stopped with the same lens.

To be able to use the one lens for usable AF on three systems is going to be fun.

Usable AF FF for the 135 f2 L that is especially (and especially in low light) with the A7s but also A7 and for APSC too, very fast AF for APSC on the 7D and now usable AF for things like daytime sports at a 2x crop on my GX7.

I would hope that they will make an adapter as fast for Sony soon too.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

135 f2 L

You have that one? lens envy:ph34r:

Always lusted over it when I shot with it on a 5D mark II back in the day, it made the soft 1080p 5D video look tack sharp! The aesthetic is crazy magical, best lens look I've ever seen, but only on FF, using it on APS-C would be a waste.. So I never bought it because Canon doesn't make fullfame cameras I can use for video. If this adapter makes it 100% with the other sony FFs then I might do it.

This is definitely a very interesting adapter. I love my Metabones Speedbooster on the GH4 for the increased field of view and the Image Stabilisation which is great on lenses like the 100mm f2.8 L lens. In camera electronic aperture control is also nice. The statement from Kipon doesn't mention any of these features, instead opting for the autofocus headline (which is amazing that they've pulled it off alone), but this was at the bottom of my request list anyway. I presume it will have aperture control as the adapter doesn't show a manual aperture dial. I hope it has IS, and the price is interestingly affordable compared to the Metabones Speedbooster. Kipon do produce optical adapters so it will be interesting if they can pull of a Speedbooster type of adapter with FULL EF lens functionality before Metabones... Or am I jumping ahead there ?

This is definitely a very interesting adapter. I love my Metabones Speedbooster on the GH4 for the increased field of view and the Image Stabilisation which is great on lenses like the 100mm f2.8 L lens. In camera electronic aperture control is also nice. The statement from Kipon doesn't mention any of these features, instead opting for the autofocus headline (which is amazing that they've pulled it off alone), but this was at the bottom of my request list anyway. I presume it will have aperture control as the adapter doesn't show a manual aperture dial. I hope it has IS, and the price is interestingly affordable compared to the Metabones Speedbooster. Kipon do produce optical adapters so it will be interesting if they can pull of a Speedbooster type of adapter with FULL EF lens functionality before Metabones... Or am I jumping ahead there ?

​It says 3.8 and f4 sometimes on the screen in the video so aperture control is forsure inplemented

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If it can power the lens AF the power will sure enable IS. Aperture control? a bit not 100% sure bu it probably drives it too as the video shows a reported f/number transferred from the 70-200 to the gx7. I bet all AF, IS and aperture work

You have that one? lens envy:ph34r:

Always lusted over it when I shot with it on a 5D mark II back in the day, it made the soft 1080p 5D video look tack sharp! The aesthetic is crazy magical, best lens look I've ever seen, but only on FF, using it on APS-C would be a waste.. So I never bought it because Canon doesn't make fullfame cameras I can use for video. If this adapter makes it 100% with the other sony FFs then I might do it.

​I love the 135 f2 L more and more all the time.      Not for video, (for that I just use a couple of wide angle lenses mainly).    For stills though it has replaced my old Canon FD 85 1.2 l for the most part but I am waiting for the Zeiss Batis 85 1.8 for my A7s and A7.

This adapter and the Batis 85 are about all I want now for gear as I think I am otherwise done for the next few years at least.