Magic Lantern update! Original EOS R recording HD 14bit RAW

PannySVHS

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One of the people from magic lantern figured that the bandwidth on the 7D MKII might also allow for DCI 4K Raw 12bit. That would be pretty sweet. So far they tested it for 1984x1068, 14bits 24p. Looking forward to the upcoming news.

One testclip of the og EOS R recording 1080p 30p raw is online. Just check the slashcam website yourself with autotranslate.:) The Digi 8 processor of the EOS R is also powering the EOS M50.

https://www.slashcam.de/news/single/Erstmals-Magic-Lantern-RAW-auf-EOS-R-mit-Digic-8-a-18410.html

Great news, looking forward to some sample footage. 
Does this mean this also opens the door to the R5 and on? 

As dynamic range, ibis, AF and so on have increased dramatically over the last years. Not sure RAW on an older camera beats the internal recording of the latest mirrorless camera's. 

23 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Haven't thought about that. @mercer 🙂 How do you like the output and experience compared to the 5DIII?

Eos M50 would also be a fun little raw cam. Looking forward to that one. It has a Digic8 processor just like the Eos R. @Andrew Reid

4K raw looks clean but I prefer the look from the 5D3. The 14bit color helps with the highlights. But I do like the FP.

22 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Allthough you need an external recorder. (something I don't like because it makes the setup too big and defeats the joy for shooting for me). + the IBIS is not to be underestimated.

But the sigma FP does have a nice image.  

As I'm sure you know and you just misspoke, you need an external drive for 12bit 4K, not an external recorder. You can shoot internal 12bit 1080p, but ML Raw has an undeniably better IQ, in all respects, than the FP's FHD.

I agree about the IBIS, but I don't really see a point for ML Raw with the R5? You can already shoot internal raw. But all of the Canon IBIS cameras are Digic X, so it will be a long time before they break that code.

It will be interesting to see what they can do with the EOS-R and hopefully the M50. I'd actually be really happy if they were able to enable continuous MLV raw on the 5D4.

But I'm still really impressed with what the 5D3 with ML Raw and a Canon IS lens is capable of handheld. So maybe I'm just easily impressed. 

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

FP 4K Raw looking clean is if course no slouch but I trust you on liking the 5D3 Raw better.:) How do you like handling the Sigma, battery life, screen etc compared to the 5D3? @mercer

I spent a lot of time testing different configurations to make the FP more ergonomic. I finally found the best cage and drive to keep it, relatively, compact without going down the Dark Labs rabbit hole...

IMG_1154.thumb.jpeg.431d83f764a8fcedc752e9fb300570bc.jpeg

With that said, out of the box, the camera isn't much bigger than the original eos-m, so when you add a cage, the ssd, lens adapter and lens, it morphs into a much larger camera that isn't much smaller than my 5D3 but much more cumbersome.

The screen is pretty nice on the FP and excuse the pun, but with the 5D3, you can see the "magic" of raw on the LCD. With the FP, although it's a better screen, the image has a very flat, dimensional look.

Battery life isn't that great with the FP either, compared to the 5D3... I'd say you can get about 45 minutes, or so.

In some ways, the FP would probably work better if fully rigged out or if the barebones camera was on a gimbal with the SSD attached to the gimbal's handle.

With my current setup, I'd say @BTM_Pix 's approach using M mount lenses would probably be the most compact route. I've been looking at some LTM lenses, so we'll see.

In a perfect world, I'd have the money to buy an R5C or R5ii when it gets released, but that doesn't seem likely, so I'll decide what to do with my FP.

To tell the truth, if someone offered me a good price, I'd consider selling it right now. I got OpenAI for video now. 

Indeed, with the cable sticking to the side the FP is looking pretty cumbersome. 45min is kinda like Bmpcc territory. I tested mine with some batteries for the Nikon J and V cameras btw. Since the pocket has the problem of emptying the battery in standby heavily I was imagining the FP to be a valid alternative for HD 12 bit internal. But I haven't read all that great things about it in HD regarding textures iirc. I've got my 5D3 for 8 or so months now and have used only for some street photography. It was fun with a nifty fifty plastic fantastic. Loud and clunky.:) Would love to use it for filming some cinema verité but for now only my Bmpcc and Bmmcc have been tested as my only Raw capable cameras. I shared one of the videos here last summer.

7 hours ago, mercer said:

But I'm still really impressed with what the 5D3 with ML Raw and a Canon IS lens is capable of handheld. So maybe I'm just easily impressed. 

I don't think that's the case, Canon IS is very impressive.

I went from using my Canon 700D and 55-250mm kit zoom with ML, sometimes in 1:1 crop mode for sports, to the Canon XC10 with the 24-240mm equivalent lens to the GH5 and the GH5 wasn't stunningly more stable than either of the previous Canon setups.  

It was better stabilisation overall because IBIS has the two additional dimensions of stabilisation, but I wasn't wowed when I got it, despite people all over the internet being wowed by it, so I consider the Canon IS to be very high quality, and I only had the more consumer examples of it - I don't know how good the IS would be in the more premium FF lenses.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2024 at 2:48 PM, PannySVHS said:

You can head over to german cult testing site and check the news via some auto translate. Magic Lantern also got into the 7D MK2!

exciting. game changing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really like ml raw. it bests all of my so called pro video/cinema cameras. if you don't care about xls, nd, double recording, sci out, etc. if you don't care rolling shutter. 

47 minutes ago, zlfan said:

I really like ml raw. it bests all of my so called pro video/cinema cameras. if you don't care about xls, nd, double recording, sci out, etc. if you don't care rolling shutter. 

The pro cameras are pro because they have xls, nd, double recording, sci out, etc.

It's like saying "I really like my Toyota hatchback. it bests all of my so called super-cars and hyper-cars. if you don't care about acceleration, top speed, braking, cornering, cool factor, etc."

🙂 

On 4/7/2024 at 7:46 PM, kye said:

The pro cameras are pro because they have xls, nd, double recording, sci out, etc.

It's like saying "I really like my Toyota hatchback. it bests all of my so called super-cars and hyper-cars. if you don't care about acceleration, top speed, braking, cornering, cool factor, etc."

🙂 

agree. pro io is useful, especially for Multicam shootout. iq wise, they are not that outstanding.