Jump to content

Canon XC10 4K camcorder


Recommended Posts

shooting with the xc10 is becoming a disaster. The variable aperture is madenning...the controls get in your way...and the list goes on. More than likely im selling mine when I come back from my gig in LA unless this thing magically grows on me. C-LOG is a joke

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They have been using it for quite some time with great results. Definetelly shows a segment where the camera is great. This is mainly a "film maker" forum. But we sometimes seem to forget that no

I am slowly getting round to finishing my mammoth XC10 review.... expect it this week!

Still haven't had time to shoot anything for more than 30 min. Hopefully next week. So I took it for a quick run when I went to the store. Wanted to see how the XC10 worked under really bright condit

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

shooting with the xc10 is becoming a disaster. The variable aperture is madenning...the controls get in your way...and the list goes on. More than likely im selling mine when I come back from my gig in LA unless this thing magically grows on me. C-LOG is a joke

Really? I find it to be the most pleasurable shooting experience I've encountered with any camera. I reset the custom buttons so Push AF is right on the grip and then the aperture wheel is easily accessible with my index finger. If you treat the focal lengths like 3 different zooms it works great... IMO. You have a 24-50 F/3.7, a 24-70 F/4 and then a full range at 5.6. Or it also works fine if you treat it as a bunch of primes. What don't you like about C-Log? I've found it has some good latitude in post but you have to expose it with the 75% zebras. If you use the 100%, you'll never pull back the highlights. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

shooting with the xc10 is becoming a disaster. The variable aperture is madenning...the controls get in your way...and the list goes on. More than likely im selling mine when I come back from my gig in LA unless this thing magically grows on me. C-LOG is a joke

Haha That was shortlived. Sounds like you woke up in the morning, turned over and saw the terrible mistake you made last night in a drunken stupor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Haha That was shortlived. Sounds like you woke up in the morning, turned over and saw the terrible mistake you made last night in a drunken stupor.

That just about summed it up. Lmao I will wrestle with it some more

7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Really? I find it to be the most pleasurable shooting experience I've encountered with any camera. I reset the custom buttons so Push AF is right on the grip and then the aperture wheel is easily accessible with my index finger. If you treat the focal lengths like 3 different zooms it works great... IMO. You have a 24-50 F/3.7, a 24-70 F/4 and then a full range at 5.6. Or it also works fine if you treat it as a bunch of primes. What don't you like about C-Log? I've found it has some good latitude in post but you have to expose it with the 75% zebras. If you use the 100%, you'll never pull back the highlights. 

Its not the latitude thats killing me its the lens. The cam handles beautifully but f5.6 is super slow. I end up using it like a 28 2.8 prime. Im gonna try eos standard and see if that works better for me cause my clog footage looks terrible. Hey maybe im to blame for that 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

That just about summed it up. Lmao I will wrestle with it some more

Its not the latitude thats killing me its the lens. The cam handles beautifully but f5.6 is super slow. I end up using it like a 28 2.8 prime. Im gonna try eos standard and see if that works better for me cause my clog footage looks terrible. Hey maybe im to blame for that 

The lens isn't great... Well it produces nice images, but the manual focus ring sucks and it would be better as a constant zoom. I wish it stayed at 2.8 up to 50mm. 

Have you been using the 1080p or the 4K?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tiago Rosa-Rosso said:

I'

This little camera is nice but what would be cool is something like a XC10 that uses the c300 mark 2 sensor (xc30). Not just to benefit from DPAF but also from a larger field of view. The fixed lens should be constant aperture 2.8 from 24mm to 200mm. the media and codec could be the same. 

Having the c300 mk ii sensor would be a dream... but the lens you suggested would weigh a tonne and cost a fortune for a s35 sensor

Link to post
Share on other sites

@kidzrevil Not sure, as far as exposing for c-log I just set zebras to 100% and try not to clip anything except if I'm shooting a person who is strongly back lit. One thing i've noticed is the lcd screen is rather dark so it looks like the shadows are under exposed but the footage actually turns out much brighter. I don't have much experience with color grading footage so i've stuck to using curves and saturation which i've been happy with so far. I do think c-log in HD can look soft so i've started applying sharpening through fcx. The camera is definitely not perfect. The biggest problem I have with it is when I use high iso's and the footage has a weird ghosting effect that looks bad with motion, I wish they would have turned down the automatic noise reduction and just let the image get grainy. It's important to keep the camera and it's limitations in perspective. If used within it's range it can be a very effective tool. It would be nice if it had a larger sensor and faster lens but there are plenty of other camera's that already have that. There are very few that are as simple to use at the same time being so effective with image quality. All I can say is experiment with it, you can always resell it and try something else.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got my zebras set to 70%, but I'm actually finding (so far) a more reliable guide is just to ride my variable ND (you *have* to use a variable ND on this camera) to stay just about a stop over. By the same token, I'm also finding C Log on this thing considerably more forgiving than either my GH4 or my FS700. It's also got that Canon trick of maintaining a pleasing image in underexposure. Most of all, I'm just finding myself wanting to take it everywhere with me and wanting to shoot with it all the time - the thing just cries out to be used, it gets the shots and the images delight.

Maybe I can get a bulk deal on external hard drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

I've got my zebras set to 70%, but I'm actually finding (so far) a more reliable guide is just to ride my variable ND (you *have* to use a variable ND on this camera) to stay just about a stop over. By the same token, I'm also finding C Log on this thing considerably more forgiving than either my GH4 or my FS700. It's also got that Canon trick of maintaining a pleasing image in underexposure. Most of all, I'm just finding myself wanting to take it everywhere with me and wanting to shoot with it all the time - the thing just cries out to be used, it gets the shots and the images delight.

Maybe I can get a bulk deal on external hard drives.

Yup! I've always liked the underexposed Canon look. The 70% zebra trick is what made me really love the camera. When I first got it, I had it set to 100% and for the life of me, I could not get the highlights down in post. I also made the mistake of leaving the built in ND on a couple times and being utterly confused by the settings... And then I had my duh moment. It's actually a shame the built in NDs don't have more power.

As I said above, I leave it on manual and ride the exposure wheel. In 1080p with the 5-Axis I can walk around, with almost steadicam level of stability, ride the exposure and use Push AF. It's a ton of fun.

With post I have had equally good results with LUTS and just simple saturation and curve adjustments. The Impulz Log to Rec709 LUTS really shine with the C-Log. I've also liked FilmConvert with it as well for a quick turnaround. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine how great this camera would be with the FS5 auto ND!

I'm still finding my way with post on this, but my best results so far have been getting it legal manually then applying rec709 looks. Canon log seems to be really really easy to deal with and the results just knock me out - super 16 vibe with enough resolution that you can afford to throw some away. I'm grading it for colour and exposure, then adding a filmconvert layer with the colour dialled to zero but with super 16 grain to 35% or so and it's making me wet my pants.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys I apologize for speaking so brashly. I looked for some clips I had that I white balanced with a grey card before shooting and that footage shined ! Plus I choose a different LUT this time. Visioncolor luts seem to work the best. Most of my shots were exposed for the midtones and I "pulled" the exposure in post while the subway shots were underexposed and "pushed" a stop. Im less worried about the slow aperture now that I know I can push the image like that in post. The motion cadence is beautiful and it sharpens really well in post. The diffusion filter im using with this thing works well with the lens & sensor combo.

 

IMG_7140.PNG

IMG_7141.PNG

IMG_7143.PNG

IMG_7144.PNG

IMG_7145.PNG

IMG_7147.PNG

IMG_7149.PNG

IMG_7151.PNG

IMG_7153.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Guys I apologize for speaking so brashly. I looked for some clips I had that I white balanced with a grey card before shooting and that footage shined ! Plus I choose a different LUT this time. Visioncolor luts seem to work the best. Most of my shots were exposed for the midtones and I "pulled" the exposure in post while the subway shots were underexposed and "pushed" a stop. Im less worried about the slow aperture now that I know I can push the image like that in post. The motion cadence is beautiful and it sharpens really well in post. The diffusion filter im using with this thing works well with the lens & sensor combo.

 

IMG_7140.PNG

IMG_7141.PNG

IMG_7143.PNG

IMG_7144.PNG

IMG_7145.PNG

IMG_7147.PNG

IMG_7149.PNG

IMG_7151.PNG

IMG_7153.PNG

Yeah, holy shit... That looks epic. Nice DR. Which Impulz did you use?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

@mercer i think it was tetrachrome. I tried using a koji advance and deluts combo and it sucked, the impulz c300 profiles work ! Btw which is closer to the image of the xc10 ? The c100 or c300 ?

I would think the 1080p is closer to the C100 and the 4K is closer to the C300. Btw, the subway shots are my favorite. They look wicked. The diffusion filter works nicely. Black Mist?

Btw, is that NY? I'm there now for work. I love this city. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...