Canon XC10 4K camcorder

Andrew Reid

The C100 is great for sure, but if that had been filmed with an Alexa it would have been many degrees better looking!

I use a Manfrotto MVM500A - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/945109-REG/manfrotto_mvm500a_pro_fluid_monopod_with.html

It's great but the lack of IS on the Sigma 18-35 made me have to lean on warp stabilizer a bit in this piece. A gimbal would have been great but I'm not sure where I would have set it down on the beach hehe

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

EDIT: sorry, answered about the IS but realized you propably wondered about the AF.

Actually, I'd like to hear about the IS as well... I didn't have it on when I used my 50D and to be honest I think there is some weird work around with OIS lenses and ML on the 50D.

31 minutes ago, Kubrickian said:

The C100 is great for sure, but if that had been filmed with an Alexa it would have been many degrees better looking!

I use a Manfrotto MVM500A - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/945109-REG/manfrotto_mvm500a_pro_fluid_monopod_with.html

It's great but the lack of IS on the Sigma 18-35 made me have to lean on warp stabilizer a bit in this piece. A gimbal would have been great but I'm not sure where I would have set it down on the beach hehe

To me an Alexa is a fabled myth that may or may not really exist... I'd probably just shake it like a caveman. Ha. At least the C100 is in my realms of possibility one day... And it's good to see what the C100 is capable of.

16 hours ago, mercer said:

What lenses do you guys use with your C100s? I assume mostly Canon lenses to utilize the DPAF? I remember from my time with t2i, many moons ago, that you really could nail different looks by using different vintage lenses. You'd still have that Canon color but the color tone may be slightly different depending on the brand... for example Nikkor aI-s lenses were slightly cooler than Takumars. Does the C100 handle vintage lenses in the same way?

I have the Sigma APS-C Art zooms (18-35mm and 50-100mm) which I use almost exclusively with my C100MK2. I also use the Canon 10-18mm STM a bit and like it (I call it my "Revenant lens" as the AF and IS, used at 14mm with the C100 top handle, allows very similar shooting setup (albeit not quite so high-end!) to Lubezki's ;)

I've recently bought the other STM zooms (18-135 and 55-250) as backup for when the Sigmas aren't practical. I'm not sure how useful they are to me though. If I want ease of use I have my XC10 and don't yet see much that the STM's offer over it. But because they're so cheap, light and small it seemed worth having them on standby. I've also just ordered a 50mm 1.8 STM for when I don't want to carry the 50-100mm.

The Sigma's are just fantastic. The 18-35 is a known quantity - just beautiful. The 50-100mm Art I love also - the image quality is IMO out of this world and cuts perfectly with the 18-35. The two together make a full set of cine primes that work great with DPAF. They are both quite noisy with AF though (another reason I got the STM's). And the 50-100 is pretty huge, so not for everyone. With the C100 I find it fine but wouldn't like it for video on a hybrid. I wrote a review of it for Dan Chung over on Newsshooter.com if you're interested in hearing more (including thoughts on using it with the C100MK2): http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/05/05/guest-post-first-impressions-of-the-sigma-50-100mm-f1-8-art-lens-by-matt-james-smith/

Here's the video I made to go with it:

and this one (a personal piece for a friend with a new baby) is the same setup:

Other lenses on my list of long term purchases:

Canon 35mm f2 IS

Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II IS

Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS

Tokina 11-20mm f2.8

However I'd honestly be happy shooting with just the two Sigma's for the rest of my days (only if they added IS and silent AF would I change them).

2 hours ago, Lintelfilm said:

I have the Sigma APS-C Art zooms (18-35mm and 50-100mm) which I use almost exclusively with my C100MK2. I also use the Canon 10-18mm STM a bit and like it (I call it my "Revenant lens" as the AF and IS, used at 14mm with the C100 top handle, allows very similar shooting setup (albeit not quite so high-end!) to Lubezki's ;)

I've recently bought the other STM zooms (18-135 and 55-250) as backup for when the Sigmas aren't practical. I'm not sure how useful they are to me though. If I want ease of use I have my XC10 and don't yet see much that the STM's offer over it. But because they're so cheap, light and small it seemed worth having them on standby. I've also just ordered a 50mm 1.8 STM for when I don't want to carry the 50-100mm.

The Sigma's are just fantastic. The 18-35 is a known quantity - just beautiful. The 50-100mm Art I love also - the image quality is IMO out of this world and cuts perfectly with the 18-35. The two together make a full set of cine primes that work great with DPAF. They are both quite noisy with AF though (another reason I got the STM's). And the 50-100 is pretty huge, so not for everyone. With the C100 I find it fine but wouldn't like it for video on a hybrid. I wrote a review of it for Dan Chung over on Newsshooter.com if you're interested in hearing more (including thoughts on using it with the C100MK2): http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/05/05/guest-post-first-impressions-of-the-sigma-50-100mm-f1-8-art-lens-by-matt-james-smith/

Here's the video I made to go with it:

and this one (a personal piece for a friend with a new baby) is the same setup:

Other lenses on my list of long term purchases:

Canon 35mm f2 IS

Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II IS

Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS

Tokina 11-20mm f2.8

However I'd honestly be happy shooting with just the two Sigma's for the rest of my days (only if they added IS and silent AF would I change them).

Damn, really really nice work. Those Sigmas with the C100ii really work beautifully together. Great, now I want a c100ii and the sigma 18-35... Haha. Just kidding. But not really. 

Oh yeah, your logo animation is great!!!

20 hours ago, mercer said:

Damn, really really nice work. Those Sigmas with the C100ii really work beautifully together. Great, now I want a c100ii and the sigma 18-35... Haha. Just kidding. But not really. 

Oh yeah, your logo animation is great!!!

Thanks man. Yeah it's a fantastic combo. But Canon's pricing only makes sense if the camera pays its own way. 

I'm testing the 18-135mm STM this weekend so may post something later ...

4 hours ago, Lintelfilm said:

Thanks man. Yeah it's a fantastic combo. But Canon's pricing only makes sense if the camera pays its own way. 

I'm testing the 18-135mm STM this weekend so may post something later ...

Yeah, that's my issue. If I made my living doing this, I would get a C100ii in a heartbeat, but my goal for filmmaking is really just as a promotional outlet for my screenwriting. 

Do you have any videos where you mix the xc10 and c100?

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, that's my issue. If I made my living doing this, I would get a C100ii in a heartbeat, but my goal for filmmaking is really just as a promotional outlet for my screenwriting. 

Do you have any videos where you mix the xc10 and c100?

Yeah I've used them in the same video a few times but they're not really cut together as such so not much use as a comparison. My Durham Cathedral Lego films use both. I'm working on something atm that requires them to cut seamlessly and I'm not worried abut it. They're very similar in terms of colour.

31 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

Yeah I've used them in the same video a few times but they're not really cut together as such so not much use as a comparison. My Durham Cathedral Lego films use both. I'm working on something atm that requires them to cut seamlessly and I'm not worried abut it. They're very similar in terms of colour.

Sorry for all these questions, but I have a few short films in the works and I really need to nail down my cameras and soon. I tried testing Andrew's C-Log with my $100 eos-m10 but the codec is so fragile it's hard to make a good comparison to know if it will help with the 80D... if I go that route. But like you said earlier, close ups are on my side there. I will say that I think Reid-LOG has definitely helped with the little camera. I may purchase James Millers' Canon LOG profile and see how that fares.

Also, when you have used both in the same video, do you use the 1080p from the XC10, or have you used the 4K?

I use both. 1080 when I want slow motion or IBIS and 4K the rest of the time. Unless for some reason I want to save card space. But as I said before the 4K image offers what the C100 doesn't. My current project involves a lot of landscapes so I'm using the XC10 a lot in 4K and time lapse. I avoid shooting deep DOF with the C100 because it can't match the XC10 4K there. If light isn't good I avoid using the XC10 as it can't match the C100. But in terms of colour, dynamic range, etc the cameras are very similar in all modes. 

On September 26, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Lintelfilm said:

I use both. 1080 when I want slow motion or IBIS and 4K the rest of the time. Unless for some reason I want to save card space. But as I said before the 4K image offers what the C100 doesn't. My current project involves a lot of landscapes so I'm using the XC10 a lot in 4K and time lapse. I avoid shooting deep DOF with the C100 because it can't match the XC10 4K there. If light isn't good I avoid using the XC10 as it can't match the C100. But in terms of colour, dynamic range, etc the cameras are very similar in all modes. 

This is all priceless information you and Kubrickian are giving me. I really appreciate it. Did you have the original C100 and then upgrade to the mkii? Because I am considering selling off a lot of my old lenses and maybe picking up the mki with DPAF, but I'm unsure. I have an idea for a no budget feature film and I think it may be a smart move, but again, I'm still unsure. 

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

This is all priceless information you and Kubrickian are giving me. I really appreciate it. Did you have the original C100 and then upgrade to the mkii? Because I am considering selling off a lot of my old lenses and maybe picking up the mki with DPAF, but I'm unsure. I have an idea for a no budget feature film and I think it may be a smart move, but again, I'm still unsure. 

I love the C100 image but a huge part of the reason I got it (I came from a speed boosted GH4 and BMPCC - never owned a C100 MK1) is the use-ability factor. It's just a fantastic all-rounder. For the majority of work I do it's just so painless to get a great image and audio in 99% of situations. I was very reluctant to give up the BMPCC and still love the image but it wasn't practical for work.

For narrative stuff I don't think there's such a compelling case for a C100 as you have time and space for shooting and the image will be judged a bit more vs "real" cinema cameras like BM, RED, Alexa. But if you like the image why not? C300 looked great in Blue is the Warmest Colour. If you find a good deal you may find you love it and if not you can probably sell it without loosing too much. Check out Noam Kroll's C100 review from ages ago - he tried it for narrative vs his BMCC and liked it a lot.

22 minutes ago, Lintelfilm said:

I love the C100 image but a huge part of the reason I got it (I came from a speed boosted GH4 and BMPCC - never owned a C100 MK1) is the use-ability factor. It's just a fantastic all-rounder. For the majority of work I do it's just so painless to get a great image and audio in 99% of situations. I was very reluctant to give up the BMPCC and still love the image but it wasn't practical for work.

For narrative stuff I don't think there's such a compelling case for a C100 as you have time and space for shooting and the image will be judged a bit more vs "real" cinema cameras like BM, RED, Alexa. But if you like the image why not? C300 looked great in Blue is the Warmest Colour. If you find a good deal you may find you love it and if not you can probably sell it without loosing too much. Check out Noam Kroll's C100 review from ages ago - he tried it for narrative vs his BMCC and liked it a lot.

Coming from a screenwriting perspective, I have always thought content is king with films. And being a NO BUDGET, one man band filmmaker I have to make successions in a lot of areas. I really respect the craft of cinematography, but I would barely consider myself a capable camera operator, so DPAF is one of those priceless tools that cannot go overlooked for me.

Everything I have seen from C100s look great and have more than enough quality for a film at my level.

Hell, I would be happy making a feature with just the XC10, if I could get, shallow depth of field, close ups with a comparative 50mm focal length. Since that isn't possible with the XC10, I am compelled to get a second camera. Since I write mostly thriller and horror screenplays, that are slow burn with little dialog, I'm unsure if a C100 is overkill since the XC10 will be my meat and potatoes camera, but since I may be the world's worst colorist, I am worried that I will have major issues trying to match 80D footage with XC10 CLOG.

I know I sound like a broken record, just constant concerns I am having. I guess I could always buy an 80D and test it out and if it doesn't work I can return it to BH.

On September 23, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Kubrickian said:

I've never tried vintage lenses on my C100 MII but would like to. Right now I use the tokina 11-16, sigma 18-35, canon L zooms, canon 35 / 50 / 85 primes. Here's a piece I shot on the 18-35: 

@JazzBox I know you said you may be interested in the C100 mkii, so I thought you might want to see Kubrickian's video. 

30 minutes ago, Kubrickian said:

Also just did this corporate video. Stronger LUT applied here - 

I saw this one a little while back while I was looking at your European xc10 video. Really nice work! I am trying to figure out a way to afford a C100 after seeing yours and LintelFilm's footage. 

I just picked up the 17-55mm in preparation. 

On 9/30/2016 at 6:45 PM, Kubrickian said:

Also just did this corporate video. Stronger LUT applied here - 

Damn this just sold me on the xc10

The amount of times I heard shallow dof in this thread...you would think its the only storytelling technique ??. I can assure you can get nice DOF with even a 1" sensor

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Damn this just sold me on the xc10

The amount of times I heard shallow dof in this thread...you would think its the only storytelling technique ??. I can assure you can get nice DOF with even a 1" sensor

Yeah, you definitely can, just more difficult composing at a 50mm equivalent focal length. Btw, I think that video was C100ii. But the 1080 image is similar and the 4K image from the XC10 is bonkers.