Z CAM may make the BMPCC we all wanted

Simon Young

5K global shutter, dual gain sensor and "the best dynamic range out of all their cameras". Shipping in October. People are already whining about the price of 3999 dollars ("ITS NOT FULL FRAME"). This is why we can't have nice things and I fear this might sell very badly of course.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/09/16/z-cam-e2-m5g-global-shutter-cinema-camera/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Simon Young said:

5K global shutter, dual gain sensor and "the best dynamic range out of all their cameras". Shipping in October. People are already whining about the price of 3999 dollars ("ITS NOT FULL FRAME"). This is why we can't have nice things and I fear this might sell very badly of course.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/09/16/z-cam-e2-m5g-global-shutter-cinema-camera/

I saw in the video, he says it's a Global Shutter, has 16 stops of dynamic range and 5k video, with a lot of frame rates. What more could one ask for? It's probably better than Full Frame, if the quality is anywhere close to advertised. If that's the case, Panasonic needs to pick up one of these sensors for itself too.

Seems like this will be a great camera!

It will have to better the GH6 dynamic range wise for me to consider it.

I suspect that this will not get 16, 15 or even 14 stops of dynamic range with global shutter and for low light or higher dynamic range modes, the rolling shutter will probably be bad. Prove me wrong Z-Cam and I will purchase when you have it on sale for $2,999 is 9 months.  That said I wish Z-Cam all the best with this camera! I imagine one way or another, someday I will wind up own it...

1 hour ago, majoraxis said:

Seems like this will be a great camera!

It will have to better the GH6 dynamic range wise for me to consider it.

I suspect that this will not get 16, 15 or even 14 stops of dynamic range with global shutter and for low light or higher dynamic range modes, the rolling shutter will probably be bad. Prove me wrong Z-Cam and I will purchase when you have it on sale for $2,999 is 9 months.  That said I wish Z-Cam all the best with this camera! I imagine one way or another, someday I will wind up own it...

Apparently it's a global shutter, so I'd imagine the rolling shutter performance to be significantly above average!

2 hours ago, kye said:

Apparently it's a global shutter, so I'd imagine the rolling shutter performance to be significantly above average!

My assumption is it will have two modes: One with Global Shutter and lower dynamic range and worse low light performance and a second with Rolling Shutter and better dynamic range and better low light.

I have a Z-Cam E2-M4 and it has a second setting with worse rolling shutter and better low light. They may not offer the rolling shutter mode, but if they do hopefully the RS will be acceptation and the low light and dynamic range will be improved.

6 hours ago, majoraxis said:

My assumption is it will have two modes: One with Global Shutter and lower dynamic range and worse low light performance and a second with Rolling Shutter and better dynamic range and better low light.

I have a Z-Cam E2-M4 and it has a second setting with worse rolling shutter and better low light. They may not offer the rolling shutter mode, but if they do hopefully the RS will be acceptation and the low light and dynamic range will be improved.

Interesting.  I don't know much about Z-cam cameras.  If I was in the market for a small box-style manual shooting camera then they'd be my first avenue to explore, but I'm just not that kind of shooter.  

I guess we'll see what it's like when the reviews/test start to come out?