iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

That SSD via USB-C is crazily driving me to there... DR looks improved too. Let alone BMD camera user interface, well, it is hard to resist, isn't it? ; ) If I'd be them, I'd hire people like you @kye as consultant in less than a fraction of a second, that's the only part of the puzzle they need, no more no less :- )

Thanks!

It is a tricky thing that basically every piece of technology faces - how do you cater to entry-level, intermediate, and expert users all with the same product:
- If you make it too simple then the experts complain about lack of customisation (which is what Apple has done here - there aren't enough options).  
- If you make it too complex then the entry-level people can't work it out or end up setting things wrong, then blame you for the bad results.
- You can't even make a "pro" mode because half of the entry-level people who don't know anything think they're "pro" and will screw it up and blame you for the results out of embarrassment alone.

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Instead of a third camera maybe just get iPhone 15 instead 🤔 

I wonder what would happen if Apple chose to get into the camera market? Their budget, reputation, and software make me think they’d be industry leading almost immediately. I wonder if adding log and ProRes may hint at them flirting with the idea. 

• Super Members

Not sure why they would get into a market where everyone and his dog seems to be convinced that their current products will render that market obsolete to all but a dwindling niche of people.

It would be like Tesla making a petrol driven car.

Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Leica and RED have all tried to make phone based cameras to reach a prosumer/pro market of film makers and photographers.

It never ends well.

In the case of RED, it was up there with the ET cartridges in the landfill episode in terms of "lets forget that ever happened"  failure.

I don't even think that Apple are that arsed about selling the software for creators anymore as long as everyone is using their hardware to run everyone else's apps.

Whatever profit they were making on FCPX that they now lose to Resolve they can easily recoup with the price gouging on RAM etc.

Apple are currently sat on a cash pile of $165 Billion.

Set against the entire worldwide market for cameras this year of $5 Billion.

When you can release incremental updates of your products every year and still have people worshipping at your feet at the product launches, I'm not sure there is much motivation there to get a piece of a market that - despite our obsession with it - is actually only comparable to, for example, the sewing machine market.

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Why Apple should invest on a shrinking and niece market is really not in their DNA and mission.... 

that seems fair. And maybe the answer to my thought is Apple will continue to add software and hardware that gets us to a point where most of us can use log and luts on an iPhone for many projects 

Biggest problem with previous generations of iPhone was the extra processing of the video. It was impossible to switch off
    - tone mapping they use to increase DR
    - sharpening
    - noise reduction at higher ISOs

Even when using third parties applications

Now with Apple log, tone mapping and sharpening can be switched off apparently according to some initial tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSqgzddHooM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VojSIi4SgMk

Another big problem were flares at night, Apple claims that nano coating of the lenses solves this problem. We'll see
Adding the ability to record to external SSD and even SD card is another useful feature.

I still would prefer probably Android RAW video but IPhone 15 + Blackmagic application + Apple Log shapes to be a great  pocket camera that is always with you.

30 minutes ago, stephen said:

Biggest problem with previous generations of iPhone was the extra processing of the video. It was impossible to switch off
    - tone mapping they use to increase DR
    - sharpening
    - noise reduction at higher ISOs

Even when using third parties applications

Now with Apple log, tone mapping and sharpening can be switched off apparently according to some initial tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSqgzddHooM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VojSIi4SgMk

Another big problem were flares at night, Apple claims that nano coating of the lenses solves this problem. We'll see
Adding the ability to record to external SSD and even SD card is another useful feature.

I still would prefer probably Android RAW video but IPhone 15 + Blackmagic application + Apple Log shapes to be a great  pocket camera that is always with you.

Any examples of android raw that’s superior to Apple log you can share ?

I don't have iPhone 15 and can't share any examples or direct comparison with Android RAW.  Few months ago tested iPhone 14 Pro then two months ago  Xiaomi 13 Ultra + MotionCam (Android RAW). I like raw video from Android more as picture quality is obviously better. I expect iPhone 15 with Apple Log to be better than iPhone 14 Pro but not by much. I don't see dramatic difference so far between iPhone 14 Pro and 15 Pro with Apple log. Not in the examples published on youtube. Maybe log footage was not well graded. 

Yes can share some of the clips made by Xiaomi 13 Ultra + MotionCam and iPhone 14 Pro on the thread dedicated to RAW video on smartphones.

Here is a frame grab from one of the clips made using Android RAW video. Background blur is natural from the lens, not computational

vlcsnap-2023-08-11-20h28m58s854.thumb.png.e396ccb95bf96179bc9187783c14501d.png

57 minutes ago, stephen said:

I don't have iPhone 15 and can't share any examples or direct comparison with Android RAW.  Few months ago tested iPhone 14 Pro then two months ago  Xiaomi 13 Ultra + MotionCam (Android RAW). I like raw video from Android more as picture quality is obviously better. I expect iPhone 15 with Apple Log to be better than iPhone 14 Pro but not by much. I don't see dramatic difference so far between iPhone 14 Pro and 15 Pro with Apple log. Not in the examples published on youtube. Maybe log footage was not well graded. 

Yes can share some of the clips made by Xiaomi 13 Ultra + MotionCam and iPhone 14 Pro on the thread dedicated to RAW video on smartphones.

Here is a frame grab from one of the clips made using Android RAW video. Background blur is natural from the lens, not computational

vlcsnap-2023-08-11-20h28m58s854.thumb.png.e396ccb95bf96179bc9187783c14501d.png

Cousins disagree more. Plenty of clips shared here that show apple Log looks nearly as good as Sony slog3 in many situations. 

13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Whatever profit they were making on FCPX that they now lose to Resolve they can easily recoup with the price gouging on RAM etc.

Speaking of FCPX Apple is definitely losing it vs recent Premiere and Da vinci update, the only advantage it have is the speed (and one off purchase) but rest of the feature hasn't been updated which I feel is dated in 2023..

Even Capcut give it a run for the money