Cooling fans for camera

ntblowz

I got this pop up from fb feed, I think design wise this is probably the best with build in suction cup instead of velcro to stick on the camera.

As earth getting more hotter I think fan might be mandatory in the future for videos.

https://www.ulanzi.com/products/ulanzi-camera-cooling-fan-for-sony-canon-fujifilm-c072gbb1

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Or manufacturers could just sell proper cameras.

I saw a post in FB group where I guy said he shot a whole day (I think it was a sports carnival?) in 4k120 in direct sun and the camera didn't overheat.  If cameras like the BM Micro Cinema Camera and Canon XC10 can fit cooling fans then there's really no excuse.

Since it is SO cheap, I've got one for my X-S20 (when the camera arrives arrives).

Don't have high hopes, though. The fan is kinda small, blows it to "open air" behind the fan, and not certain about the suction cups.

Probably will mod it to be like the Fuji fan - put a metal plate on the back (which help is general dissipation) and attach using screws.

8 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

It really does feel like we're going backwards when these accessories are necessary. 

Cost cutting and I suspect 99% of users won’t experience overheating etc.

I think somewhere like here with a mix of pros and keen enthusiasts, we consider these things more.

I was ready to rubbish a stick on fan, but having looked at it, and the preorder price, thought it was quite decent actually and if it works and can make something like that new Sony better, then great.

The Fuji option looks good also.

But yes, part of me would like to see everything included but then every bit of kit would probably cost too much and could not exist in the marketplace?

28 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I think somewhere like here with a mix of pros and keen enthusiasts, we consider these things more.

I was ready to rubbish a stick on fan, but having looked at it, and the preorder price, thought it was quite decent actually and if it works and can make something like that new Sony better, then great.

But yes, part of me would like to see everything included but then every bit of kit would probably cost too much and could not exist in the marketplace?

S5 II have internal fan and is one of the cheapest FF video cameras - and Panasonic have the best heat management, the GX9 that I had never even get warmer recording 4k (probably best chipset design).

58 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

The thing is, is it really unlikely that an enthusiast or amateur ISN'T going to experience overheating if a camera can't even get 20 minutes at 24p (and presumably, 30p)?

Ultimately he consumer, whether it's a professional or an enthusiast, shouldn't have to worry at all that their brand new camera might shut down because a company refused to spend a little extra putting a fan in the body to prevent it from overheating.

We should be expecting more from these companies, not less.

31 minutes ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

S5 II have internal fan and is one of the cheapest FF video cameras - and Panasonic have the best heat management, the GX9 that I had never even get warmer recording 4k (probably best chipset design).

That's the other thing. We can say the difference is the size of the sensor or the resolution, but Panasonic figured out how to get unlimited 4K recording nearly a decade ago. I've never, ever experienced overheating dating back to my GH3 days. Two weeks ago I was outside in 90+ degree weather with high humidity with my three Lumix S5s and the idea of them overheating didn't even cross my mind. They recorded two 90+ minute takes, with only a brief 10 minute intermission in between the first and second half of the event. 

15 hours ago, ntblowz said:

As long the fan can fit on the back of the camera it should work regardless of make or model.

So an a6700 with a fan looks like an attractive offer. Will look into it as I was considering an fx30 and a used a6600 for hybrid use on travel. 

16 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Just to show some YouTuber are clueless by ordering the wrong fan for their camera

These are the proper ones for E1 which gave me good result, but I m not too keen with velcro though, having suction cup is interesting on the other hand.

20230810_192341.jpg

16 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

So an a6700 with a fan looks like an attractive offer. Will look into it as I was considering an fx30 and a used a6600 for hybrid use on travel. 

Yeah that way you only need 1 camera instead of 2, and FX30 is quite bit more bulky/heavier than A6700.

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah that way you only need 1 camera instead of 2, and FX30 is quite bit more bulky/heavier than A6700.

That’s awesome you’ve used these devices. While they don’t look attractive compared to a built in fan, are you confident they work similarly?  How much extra record time did you get? 

may wait for a7C II is announced before making a decision, but having a fan that’s effective and cheap may do as you said - remove need for 2 bodies.