APSC Lens on Full Frame?

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Safe more money ang get FX30 instead of A7IV. It has more video features anyway. 

Without a mechanical shutter you can’t shoot any fast moving subjects in photo. Unless your saying it’s smarter to get an fx30 and a photo body instead of using an a7iv for both 

Yeah it works, but you loose the lowlight advantage in S35, I found FF mode still give u more much cleaner image, and you lose the FF bokeh look unless you got speedbooster with EF lens.

But if u just use apsc for that 4k60p and ff prime for stills I think it can work. Better than 28-75 on S35 cause it will be too narrow

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Yeah it works, but you loose the lowlight advantage in S35, I found FF mode still give u more much cleaner image, and you lose the FF bokeh look unless you got speedbooster with EF lens.

Most people I know using an EF-S lens are doing it with the R5C and the basic EF-RF adapter. Where I'm confused is where you say you'd lose lowlight advantage - bcuz the Canon oem speedbooster would actually give you an extra stop of light. But because it also widens your focal length, I'm assuming you'd have to shoot in either S35 or S16, but you'd still have gained an extra stop of light, no? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at? My apologies if I am!

I don't think an 18-35 1.8 in APSC mode offers any advantages in terms of focal range, DOF, weight or size compared to a full frame 24-70 2.8. At 1.5x crop it's comparable to a full frame 27-52.5 f2.7.

On the plus side, it gathers more light (at the expense of more noise in APSC) and is cheaper. As a workhorse lens I would miss the extra range on the wide and long ends and would skip it in favour of a full frame workhorse.

The 17-55 Canon kit lenses look quite bad in my view: too much chromatic aberration and veling flare and nasties like that.

But for standard wide angle, APSC lenses are a great option. Many of them maintain image quality. I have a Tokina 12-24 and I find it very good. It's certainly better than cheap and moderately priced wide angles for full frame. And its usable in full frame mode for part of its focal range. This is a bit redundant if you have an APSC crop mode as it's the same effective field of view that you're replicating. But it's worth noting that at 24mm full frame it's almost distortion free and I sometimes switch to this lens instead of my workhorse for establishing shots that have straight lines.

Of course, if I paid the premium for lenses designed for my system, I could correct that distortion in camera...

Btw, slightly off topic but I'm loving the EF 70-200 f4 non-IS which I picked up second hand for peanuts. It's almost flawless in APSC mode - almost no vignetting. And it's way lighter than an f2.8 which is great for handheld.

1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

I don't think an 18-35 1.8 in APSC mode offers any advantages in terms of focal range, DOF, weight or size compared to a full frame 24-70 2.8. At 1.5x crop it's comparable to a full frame 27-52.5 f2.7.

On the plus side, it gathers more light (at the expense of more noise in APSC) and is cheaper. As a workhorse lens I would miss the extra range on the wide and long ends and would skip it in favour of a full frame workhorse.

I have the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 welded to my S5ii because it makes for a superb lightweight, autofocus 4k 50p beast.

The focal length works for me here with 27-75 FF equivalent being just about perfect for my needs.

The pairing also live on the gimbal which itself spends most of it's time, on a lightweight but full-sized tripod rather than the dinky tabletop thing they tend to come with.

I like the fact that it's not faster than f2.8 also because that's just about a perfect DOF for the main use I have for this set up which is; longer static stuff (ceremonies and speeches at weddings), entrances and exits (tracking) plus couple walking gimbal stuff.

But if Lumix did not have cropped 4k 50/60p, I probably would use a FF lens instead.

Image quality-wise though, I can't see any difference but as the S5ii only shoots 4k 50p in S35, it makes sense to have the smallest and lightest lens.

Why would you "buy" an APS-C lens for A7IV? If you already own it maybe for video, but buying it make no sense to me, for photo is meh as you loose a lot of res and for video is questionable.

Buy a good FF used lens, you will resell it with no too much loss if you want to change.  

I mostly buy used lens and if you find a good priced one you may end up selling for almost the same price that you brought.

58 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Why would you "buy" an APS-C lens for A7IV? If you already own it maybe for video, but buying it make no sense to me, for photo is meh as you loose a lot of res and for video is questionable.

Buy a good FF used lens, you will resell it with no too much loss if you want to change.  

I mostly buy used lens and if you find a good priced one you may end up selling for almost the same price that you brought.

What places do you buy from?  How do you evaluate if it is clean and dust free/minimal

Buy from somewhere like MPB where you have a warranty plus if it’s not as advertised, you can send it back on their dollar.

However, you can just send stuff back within I think 2 weeks, but at your own expense.

The only thing about MPB that I do not like is that they are so slooooooow to evaluate gear you send them. I have had up to a month before which I think is far too long.