Fx30

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, Django said:

that does look really clean! also the 15mm f1.4 looks like an ideal compact low-light wide angle lens. really a win combo.

@markr041 any chance you could upload that clip in Slog3 on Vimeo for download? 🙏

I think I can find the video; and I have a Vimeo account. But may take a day or two to retrieve the original.

12 hours ago, Django said:

that does look really clean! also the 15mm f1.4 looks like an ideal compact low-light wide angle lens. really a win combo.

@markr041 any chance you could upload that clip in Slog3 on Vimeo for download? 🙏

Just to be clear, you want one original nongraded clip from the video (Slog3), or the whole video rerendered without transforming (grading) so it is just the Slog3 version?

6 hours ago, markr041 said:

Just to be clear, you want one original nongraded clip from the video (Slog3), or the whole video rerendered without transforming (grading) so it is just the Slog3 version?

Whole video ungraded would be great if not too much of a bother! 

I have FX30 Slog3 footage but not at ISO2500 in lowlight and would love to test out grading myself so thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, Django said:

Whole video ungraded would be great if not too much of a bother! 

I have FX30 Slog3 footage but not at ISO2500 in lowlight and would love to test out grading myself so thanks in advance!

You can download the ungraded version from here (you download "Original"): 

Note: this video was rendered from the original 300 Mbps All-I 10bit 422 clips to HEVC 10bit 422 with a lower bitrate. But no grading, so still Slog3.

Ignore the Vimeo streaming version. above.

On 4/27/2023 at 9:31 AM, SRV1981 said:

Looks good at 2500 with ambient light, love it!  Still thinking a7iv will make more sense with ability for photo in 1 body

FX30 has no physical shutter and is a single shot only camera. If you need to take photos, it's probably the worst new camera option you can find today. Since its ES only and lacks a stacked sensor like the a9's or a1, it will also be a major PITA indoors when it comes to banding from the light cycles.

I'd go a7IV without hesitation. I have one, it's a really great hybrid.

Chris

20 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

FX30 has no physical shutter and is a single shot only camera. If you need to take photos, it's probably the worst new camera option you can find today. Since its ES only and lacks a stacked sensor like the a9's or a1, it will also be a major PITA indoors when it comes to banding from the light cycles.

I'd go a7IV without hesitation. I have one, it's a really great hybrid.

Chris

You are correct, the a7iv is a better hybrid camera than the fx30. That is because the fx30 is not a hybrid camera, it is a video camera. It therefore has many features that aid in shooting video that the a7iv does not and never will.

The fx30 and fx30 are perhaps the worst hybrid cameras. So are the ARRI LF, the RED Komodo, the Sony Venice II, the Sony fx9, etc.

And, so you don't get all riled up, the a7iv can take great video, unless of course you want to shoot 4K DCI 24.0P or shoot a Netflix film.

14 hours ago, markr041 said:

You are correct, the a7iv is a better hybrid camera than the fx30. That is because the fx30 is not a hybrid camera, it is a video camera. It therefore has many features that aid in shooting video that the a7iv does not and never will.

The fx30 and fx30 are perhaps the worst hybrid cameras. So are the ARRI LF, the RED Komodo, the Sony Venice II, the Sony fx9, etc.

And, so you don't get all riled up, the a7iv can take great video, unless of course you want to shoot 4K DCI 24.0P or shoot a Netflix film.

What's the point of this? I'm simply pointing out that if you plan on taking a lot of photos it's a mediocre option. People get so triggered when you point out any negatives about their gear. The rest is just noise.

At least the FX3 has all of the photos capabilities of the a7sIII, so you can shoot bursts and it does have a mechanical shutter. The rest you listed are irrelevant to my comment.

Cheers

Chris

59 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

What's the point of this? I'm simply pointing out that if you plan on taking a lot of photos it's a mediocre option. People get so triggered when you point out any negatives about their gear. The rest is just noise.

At least the FX3 has all of the photos capabilities of the a7sIII, so you can shoot bursts and it does have a mechanical shutter. The rest you listed are irrelevant to my comment.

Cheers

Chris

He loves watching smooth 60 fps playback, and studies have shown that this also smooths your brain. There's no folds left in his brain 

10 minutes ago, Kubrickian said:

He loves watching smooth 60 fps playback, and studies have shown that this also smooths your brain. There's no folds left in his brain 

OK. This is the type of comment that downgrades this whole forum. Just think about what you posted. Are you proud of your post? Should you reflect on what made you do it? Do you think it is clever? Do you think it impresses your friends and family?

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

What's the point of this? I'm simply pointing out that if you plan on taking a lot of photos it's a mediocre option. People get so triggered when you point out any negatives about their gear.

And I agreed with you that YOUR camera takes better pictures than the fx30. It is a better hybrid camera. Read my post again. I was "simply pointing out" that the fx30 is not a hybrid camera.

My cell phone has better built-in GPS than the fx30. My toaster makes better toast. My TV has a better LCD screen. I prefer apples to oranges. Get it?

Let's stop with the ownership bias already - I have access to an unlimited number of cameras (not IMAX or the ARRI LF). I have shot with scores of cameras that are currently available.

Let's get back to the cameras. Enjoy YOUR camera. It is a great camera.

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

OK. This is the type of comment that downgrades this whole forum. Just think about what you posted. Are you proud of your post? Should you reflect on what made you do it? Do you think it is clever? Do you think it impresses your friends and family?

Mark! How’s the form factor? I had fancied the a7iv but once I got a lens on it and brought it into the field - the cost (lens and body $4k) and size were too much. Returning ASAP.  
 Really considering fx30 and using the phone for photo until I can find a small x100v type camera that’s cheaper and less hype. 

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

Mark! How’s the form factor? I had fancied the a7iv but once I got a lens on it and brought it into the field - the cost (lens and body $4k) and size were too much. Returning ASAP.  
 Really considering fx30 and using the phone for photo until I can find a small x100v type camera that’s cheaper and less hype. 

That is precisely why I have been trying out the fx3 and the fx30 - I am about to travel to China and I need a compact camera and lens. The fx3, with its full frame, really requires big lenses to have range and wide aperture. I am settling on the fx30 with the Sony Zeiss 16-70, which is a compromise, but gives me a small rig, with decent versatility and quality. 10bit and Slog3 are essential. The fx30 and the Zeiss lens and the Sony 15mm f1.4 for low light and night is where I am going. And, yes, my Samsung phone gives me the ability to take stills with no fuss, and I need a phone.

This 4K video is likely my final test run with the fx30 and Zeiss lens. I use all of the special features here - CIZ, gyro stabilization in post (Catalyst Browse) for walking-with-camera shots, and 4K 120p slow motion:

58 minutes ago, markr041 said:

That is precisely why I have been trying out the fx3 and the fx30 - I am about to travel to China and I need a compact camera and lens. The fx3, with its full frame, really requires big lenses to have range and wide aperture. I am settling on the fx30 with the Sony Zeiss 16-70, which is a compromise, but gives me a small rig, with decent versatility and quality. 10bit and Slog3 are essential. The fx30 and the Zeiss lens and the Sony 15mm f1.4 for low light and night is where I am going. And, yes, my Samsung phone gives me the ability to take stills with no fuss, and I need a phone.

This 4K video is likely my final test run with the fx30 and Zeiss lens. I use all of the special features here - CIZ, gyro stabilization in post (Catalyst Browse) for walking-with-camera shots, and 4K 120p slow motion:

Looks great! Is this slog? What’s the biggest things you miss when shooting fx30 vs fx3? And what’s the biggest advantages over the fx3?

6 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Looks great! Is this slog? What’s the biggest things you miss when shooting fx30 vs fx3? And what’s the biggest advantages over the fx3?

Slog3. I do like the full-frame look and the spotless 4K 120p of the fx3. But, the fx3 4K is oversampled, so it visibly has more resolution, and the zoom lenses are much smaller for the same range. The difference in low light is also not as large as one might think given the sensor size and pixel size differences.

4 hours ago, markr041 said:

And I agreed with you that YOUR camera takes better pictures than the fx30. It is a better hybrid camera. Read my post again. I was "simply pointing out" that the fx30 is not a hybrid camera.

My cell phone has better built-in GPS than the fx30. My toaster makes better toast. My TV has a better LCD screen. I prefer apples to oranges. Get it?

Let's stop with the ownership bias already - I have access to an unlimited number of cameras (not IMAX or the ARRI LF). I have shot with scores of cameras that are currently available.

Let's get back to the cameras. Enjoy YOUR camera. It is a great camera.

The FX30 is a hybrid, just a heavily crippled one thanks to the exclusion of a mechanical shutter and competent photo modes - something the FX3 has. It's just the next a6000 camera sensor inside the recycled FX3 housing. But since it's so bad at taking photos, Sony will sell you another camera to do that job. With a readout speed superior to the current 24mp sensor, it could - and should - be a really great hybrid body. If it were a cine camera it would have more of the cine tools the FX6/9 have like waveforms, ND's and shutter angle. But it doesn't, so it isn't.

It's all marketing BS and Sony hitting it hard with the cripple hammer.

Cheers

Chris

13 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The FX30 is a hybrid, just a heavily crippled one thanks to the exclusion of a mechanical shutter and competent photo modes - something the FX3 has. It's just the next a6000 camera sensor inside the recycled FX3 housing. But since it's so bad at taking photos, Sony will sell you another camera to do that job. With a readout speed superior to the current 24mp sensor, it could - and should - be a really great hybrid body. If it were a cine camera it would have more of the cine tools the FX6/9 have like waveforms, ND's and shutter angle. But it doesn't, so it isn't.

Cheers

Chris

Give it up. The fx30 and is not a hybrid. It is a "cinema" camera by Sony's own definition. By eliminating the totally unnecessary mechanical shutter (for video), money is saved, which is why the camera is much cheaper than the fx3. It is not suitable for stills; it is on the cutting-edge for video. That is the definition of non-hybrid. 

The fx30 has timecode, 4K DCI, 24.0 fps, tally lights, and special lcd viewing configurations for video. Same features as the fx3, which is approved by Netflix for cinema. And none of the a7 cameras are, because they lack essential features for video. Note that the fx3 does not have shutter angle or ND's - shutter angle is hardly an essential cinema feature unless one is incapable of dividing by 2; it seems that built-in ND's and IBIS do not work together - I prefer IBIS. I would love to have the electronic ND. 

Hybrid is another word for compromise. The a7 cameras are crippled for video; the fx30 is crippled for stills. So, guess which one I choose for video?

I do not understand why you have the need to dump on the fx30. The a7 cameras are crippled for video, no doubt. I feel your pain you did not get video-centric upgrades. So you take out your disappointment and envy and just plain meanness on the fx30 and those who use it? 

It is just plain nuts to define the fx30 as a hybrid camera and not a cinema camera.

I agree completely that your camera not getting video upgrades is maddening and results from pure selfish greed on the part of Sony. I hate Sony. But that is not going to stop me from pointing out silly logic based on obvious ownership bias, or to stop me from using Sony cameras if they suit my needs better than other cameras (and I have made clear why the fx30 is right for my purpose right now).

36 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Cheers

Chris

Chris - do you think there’s a better body and lens system for the quality features and price/size? 

a7iv is not an option for me or any similar size camera for travel and walking around etc.  

photo is secondary thought - I’d grab an x100f or something for fun photos or just use and iPhone and VSCO for photos small prints

On 4/29/2023 at 6:01 PM, SRV1981 said:

Chris - do you think there’s a better body and lens system for the quality features and price/size? 

a7iv is not an option for me or any similar size camera for travel and walking around etc.  

photo is secondary thought - I’d grab an x100f or something for fun photos or just use and iPhone and VSCO for photos small prints

What's your overall budget? I would say whatever ticks the most boxes while allowing for the best glass. If the a7IV is too big, something like the a7c is quite a bit smaller. I like the x100's, but with so many good, small lenses, I've never been able to warm up to that one. And its capabilities are pretty limited.

Cheers

Chris