What OG cams you got your eyes on going into 2023?

Ty Harper

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

That´s what I´m thinking when I process the Raw files from my GX85, though a few pixels more in the x and y axis, not that many though:) @kye Video is nice on the GX85, but not up to par with the beautiful image coming from the RAW files, though supposely "only" 12bit. Gimme 10bit GH5 like HD and VLog in this body!

Back to my acquired og beauties. The 12MP sensor is a tricky beast, I had it in its GF1 alteration and I loved it for flashlight photography but the limited dynamic range gave me problems outside. When I got the G6 some years later it felt like another dimension of image quality. The GF1 had fugly Jpegs btw, so one had to dig into Raw. Mybe I should revise my GF1 Raw files again with a different processing workflow. The second camera has the approved 16MP sensor which supposely works in the G5,G6/7/85, GH3/4, GX1/7, GX85 and some GF cameras from the GF5 on.:)

There is a huge difference between the RAW and video from my GF3, I would guess other models are likely the same.  I don't take stills anymore, except timelapses and for that I shoot jpg for ease of editing in post.

Before I went to video, I shot a few trips with the GF3 in RAW and was really happy with the images.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You got some pretty spiffy video output from that all auto skinny codec monster that the GF3 is:) I checked, if the G3 was to be hacked for fully manual operation. Unfortunately no, just bumping the bitrate. But since Ptools and its documentation just look so chaotic to me, I wouldnt bother. Would have loved my super cheaply acquired G3 to be turned into a GH2 like HD machine. All auto, yikes! 🙂 We should do a GF1,2,3, GX1, G3 all auto challenge. Throw some all LX3 or 5 or some CCD bridge camera magic into the mix and we should have something going! @kye @QuickHitRecord

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

You got some pretty spiffy video output from that all auto skinny codec monster that the GF3 is:) I checked, if the G3 was to be hacked for fully manual operation. Unfortunately no, just bumping the bitrate. But since Ptools and its documentation just look so chaotic to me, I wouldnt bother. Would have loved my super cheaply acquired G3 to be turned into a GH2 like HD machine. All auto, yikes! 🙂 We should do a GF1,2,3, GX1, G3 all auto challenge. Throw some all LX3 or 5 or some CCD bridge camera magic into the mix and we should have something going! @kye @QuickHitRecord

I played with the Ptools hack but could never get it working on my GF3.  Unfortunately lots of the information online seems to have been lost and the things I did find took a good deal of searching, reading entire threads and following all links etc.

The GF3 would be spectacular with a bit-rate bump - 17Mbps wasn't really enough for 1080p.

For anyone reading that hasn't seen them, here's a few from the mighty GF3:

and here's a random comparison of JPG vs Video with a few lenses / filters:

Looking back on the above, I remember the difference in detail being a lot more between the JPGs and the video - maybe the 1080p YT compression really softened it.

I've done a lot more videos with it, both tests as well as real edits, and my conclusions were that:

• If you use it without a stabilised lens or with any lens that isn't razor sharp then it's only good for a Super-8 style final product due to the soft rendering and micro-jitters
  • If you use it in mixed lighting or with low-CRI lighting then you're going to have a very bad time colour correcting in post
  • If you use it in any sort of low-light situation then it might not even get up to Super-8 level of video AND you're going to have a bad time in post
  • DAMN ITS SMALL!!!!  

When paired with the Olympus 15mm F8 body cap lens it is almost as pocketable as a smartphone, and if used outside when the sun is up, it'll do a great job of Super-8 style videos.  It is usable with the 12-35/2.8 lens, but if you're going to have a setup that large, you may as well take the GX85 or P2K.

Here's a shot of some of my collection - the GF3 is the second smallest, only larger than the mighty (pink) J20 that was what I entered into the camera challenge.

IMG_2441.jpeg

It was great looking back over these GF3 videos - fun times!

Hah, tasty post and read! Thank you, kye! Maybe I will give it try with the hack for the G3. But maybes are wait-bes.:) @kye We should still pull off a challenge of these small auto beasts.  Darn, the GF3 is small. Thinking about getting a GM5 for the nice sensor, design, the legendary GF1 style back wheel and G6 quality manual video. That´s a maybe:)

• 2 months later...

Re. ‘OG’ cams, does the S1H class as an OG cam?

In my book it does and I am considering buying up a lifetime supply of mint condition used units…

For anyone reading that doesn’t know, I am a 23 season wedding veteran, the last 12+ years a hybrid shooter.

This season I have been running a pair of S5ii’s and a single S1H.

Out of 10, I’d give the S1H a score of 9.

The S5ii, maybe a 7. At best.

The S1H kills the S5ii in almost every regard except for one, tracking AF and in that regard, it is not utterly terrible. In fact for my kind of use, it’s decent enough.

So why and where does the S1H ‘kill’ the S5ii in my considered opinion?

1: Build. It’s built like a tank yet is not ridiculously heavy. Personally, I would not class it as ‘heavy’, even with the battery grip. By comparison, the S5ii doesn’t feel ‘cheap’, but doesn’t feel in the same league to me.

2: Ergos. I have shot over 100 full day shoots with this thing and with or without battery grip, it is by far the best camera to hold and use I have ever had. And I have had a lot of cameras over the years!

3: The Shooting Experience. It’s on another level to the S5ii. It’s just faster everywhere than the S5ii. It just works like you expect and want a tool like this to whereas with the S5ii, I’m willing it to catch up and watching it jump around sometimes using AF with the rear LCD and then questioning the focus, the exposure and even the colour because the rear LCD just sucks next to that of the S1H. Yep, sucks. For clarity, brightness, colour etc, the S1H rear LCD is the only monitor I need.

4: Video. I tried open gate 6k 30p on the S5ii and liked the quality, but as a PAL region user, found the workaround in certain lighting conditions a pain in the arse. I also use a lot of modest speed (50%) slow mo and only able to achieve 80% with the S5ii is a bit of a bummer. But then the S1H can’t do it so I’m back to shooting 4k 50p on both.

This is where it’s a tie for me. On one hand the S5ii allows me to burn in a LUT which is my preferred way of working. On the other hand, I think the quality of the S1H video is slightly higher and more ‘filmic’, possibly due to that OLPF taking a bit of digital edge off it?

5. Stills. S1H easily. It just works. All day long. The S5ii just slows me down and almost always is slower to acquire focus, doesn’t feel as confident when it thinks it’s found it and the shutter button sound and tactility is shit next to that of the S1H. Yup, shit. I fkn hate it. Also, again, no moire issues with the files from the S1H and slightly more ‘filmic’ possibly as a result making this thing an equally capable and underrated stills machine as it is for video.

6. Battery life. No contest, the S1H just kicks the backside of the S5ii.

Conclusion.

The S5ii has better and more reliable AF in forward tracking scenarios. That’s its sole win. It can’t even argue cost as mint used S1H’s are now at similar levels.

Oh and it can burn in a LUT. No dealbreaker and my workflow would be easier if the S1H could and I wish they would add that feature in firmware but does not look likely now…?

9/10 for S1H and an easy win then, but where could it be improved for me?

A. Ideally, next gen, 6k 50p open gate, no crop. That’s it, I’m done remainder of my career.

B. Ability to burn in a LUT. It’s a given any S1 line replacement will get that.

C. More pixels please. I’d like to retire my 70-200 and I could get away with that (talking stills here) with something say 45+mp. The sensor from the S1R produced even better video (and stills) IMO, but a love child of the S1R and the S1H would be a perfect union for me. With a couple of updates of course.

Beyond that, I can’t think of a single thing. The S1H is the closest thing to camera perfection I have ever used.

I suspect of the current crop, only the Z8 could run it close or probably beat it but I’d need to test one properly in my real world use case work days to know for sure, but then whole new ecosystem and huge cost etc…

So my hope now is Lumix creates my next camera and has it available on the market by March 2024 latest because if there is no sign of that, the temptation to try a Z8 over the Winter…

The bottom line is as a full-time working pro, I need kit that A. just works and B. just gets out of the way and C. ideally, I enjoy using.

The S5ii kind of works, but does NOT get out of the way and (for me) is not a joy to use.

The S1H is my OG and ticks all 3 boxes.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:52 AM, FHDcrew said:

Speaking of OG cams…

Nikon Z6 - 1080p NLOG (oversampled)

Z6 is an old camera these days?

Man, that makes me feel old now...

On 6/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, kye said:

The OG Alexa was 2.5K and most cameras these days still can't create an image as good....

Not long until we can get an OG Alexa for $2.5K