DaVinci Resolve On New M2 iPad Pro

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Not sure if its available from launch but Resolve is coming to the new M2 powered iPad Pro.

ipadProResolve.jpeg.c5e4814e0acdbed9ed9af3b284b3c9df.jpeg

No indication of how fully featured it will be compared to the desktop version (the Cut and Colour pages are illustrated as being available in this screenshot) or price or codec support etc  but it will be interesting to see nonetheless.

It will actually have to go some to compete with LumaFusion which is the current state of the art for the iPad and which has been becoming ever more feature laden over the past couple of years.

LumaFusion has actually had an FCPX export option for a while (and is very much an app favoured by Apple in their marketing and presentations) so I'm curious about why Apple are now putting Resolve front and centre in their announcement when it will presumably offer the same functionality for a rival desktop editing system to their own.

Irrespective, these new iPads are further blurring the lines between desktop and tablets for content creation whether one is mobile or not.

Full details of the new iPads here :

https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-pro/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

USB 4 port as well so quick to edit straight off an external SSD, if iOS lets you do that.

It will be interesting to see if the iPad version runs on a MacBook as well considering Macs now run iOS apps.

I am all for a slightly simplified user interface and stripped back to the core basics version of Resolve!

• Super Members
55 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am all for a slightly simplified user interface and stripped back to the core basics version of Resolve!

I find sticking to the Cut page and using the SpeedEditor controller is the way to go.

Really speeds the basic assembly and keeps you away from falling down the fannying about rabbit hole until the last minute and treating that as a final process.

Hopefully it will work with the new iPad version as it is BLE as well as USB-C.

Usually find them sub €200 on eBay (without Resolve included) and they are a bargain for what they bring to the process.

I like this. Apple might be completely offloading FCP resources to Blackmagic. Resolve is industry standard. Apple's path to continued growth is cloud and digital services, and I can see Resolve becoming a subscription service for pro users, packaged with cloud storage from Apple. 

They worked together before with the BM eGPU, and I think it's a sign that they have been working together behind the scenes. It makes sense for Apple and Blackmagic to collaborate on a large sensor camera with the most efficient workflow from acquisition to delivery, equipping the masses with professional tools for content creation. The studio film industry will justify itself with $100K Arris, but for everybody else?

Somebody will come for Canon, Sony and even Red's lunch. Throughout the backdoor. 

1 hour ago, independent said:

I like this. Apple might be completely offloading FCP resources to Blackmagic. Resolve is industry standard. Apple's path to continued growth is cloud and digital services, and I can see Resolve becoming a subscription service for pro users, packaged with cloud storage from Apple. 

They worked together before with the BM eGPU, and I think it's a sign that they have been working together behind the scenes. It makes sense for Apple and Blackmagic to collaborate on a large sensor camera with the most efficient workflow from acquisition to delivery, equipping the masses with professional tools for content creation. The studio film industry will justify itself with $100K Arris, but for everybody else?

Somebody will come for Canon, Sony and even Red's lunch. Throughout the backdoor. 

I think I agree with you here; Apple seems to have put no effort towards Final Cut Pro within the last few years.

4 hours ago, independent said:

Apple might be completely offloading FCP resources to Blackmagic.

On the one hand this sounds farfetched and on the other it might come true.

It's farfetched because FCPX is still popular, especially in Europe in broadcast and advertising, and nothing holds a candle to it as an editor. Resolve's Cut page doesn't come close, and despite its lack of an audio mixer FCPX has efficient audio workflows once you understand how they work. Many people edit in FCPX and export the xml to do the rest in Resolve. Resolve, on the other hand, appeals to track-based traditionalists and I think there's be an exodus or at least a lot of complaining if Resolve ever adopted FCPX's layer- and roles-based approach, magnetic timeline, etc. There are a lot of FCPX haters out there, and a lot of people who abandoned Final Cut for other NLEs once FCPX was released.

It's true that Apple hasn't made any significant updates to FCPX in a while, although personally I think that's a benefit because it's hard to keep up with the pace of new features and workflow changes in Resolve. Being Mac-only, FCPX is a reason to own a Mac and Apple would be dumb to give that incentive away. Same goes for Logic.

Still, the apparent lack of resources devoted to FCPX and Logic does suggest that Apple's priorities are elsewhere and it might eventually offload them.

Bought a M1 iPad Pro 12.9” because there were the “MacOS will come to iPad Pro” rumors back before iOS 15. Was finally considering to sell it now (together with my M1 MacMini, to buy a MacBook Pro 14”) because all I do with it is web browsing, YouTube watching and some editing in Lightroom Mobile. I just prefer Lightroom Classic on the Mac instead and Davinci Resolve over LumaFusion… and now this. Guess I’ll give it a try before deciding.

2 hours ago, bjohn said:

It's farfetched because FCPX is still popular, especially in Europe in broadcast and advertising, and nothing holds a candle to it as an editor.

I've noticed that there is now, finally, feature films in Hollywood being edited on Resolve.  This has really only started in the last year or two, so in that sense Resolve is still very young as an editing package.

However, once the pros start using it in any serious capacity I think the features it lack and the little niggles and pain points will probably start to get addressed and it will become a much more polished editing platform for large projects.  I know that FCPX and Premier have worked with editors taking feedback and suggestions for many many years, so Resolve would benefit enormously from similar attention.

They could end up surpassing FCPX and AVID by taking the best of both of them, and its also integrated into the colour suite, so negates the need for cumbersome round-tripping between them.  It's all just possibilities at the moment, but Resolve has consistently made significant improvements (and adding entire pages!) year on year, and show no signs of stopping, so I suspect its development into a professional-level editor is probably inevitable.

I am actually surprised that there will be a free non-Studio version.  

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8225967836/davinci-resolve-coming-to-ipad-pro-video-editing-and-collaboration-on-the-go

DaVinci Resolve for iPad's main features:

Cut page for editing and the color pages are optimized for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro display.
Up to 4x Ultra HD ProRes render performance improvement with the M2 chip.
Supports Apple Neural Engine features in DaVinci Resolve Studio for iPad.
Compatible with DaVinci Resolve 18 project files.
Supports multi-user collaboration via Blackmagic Cloud.
Supports H.264, H.265, ProRes and Blackmagic RAW media files.
Supports clips from iPad storage, Photos library and iCloud.
Import clips from external USB-C disks.
Works with Apple Pencil, Magic Trackpad, Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio.
External monitoring via Apple Studio Display, Pro Display XDR or an AirPlay display.
Supports HDR display on 12.9-inch iPad Pro with the M1 chip.
Compatible with iPadOS 16 or newer.

DaVinci Resolve for iPad will be available later this year as a free download from the Apple App Store. Customers can upgrade to DaVinci Resolve Studio for iPad via an in-app purchase.