Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Lenses

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Geoff CB how are you liking the a7rii so far ?

Love it, plenty of detail and I love the grainy slightly soft image I get in Full Frame 4K mdoe. I think I've found the problem with the color for me, the Magenta's are heavy in the shadows, so I've just slightly adjusted that in premiere using my slightly modified S-Log in camera and have been hitting the look I want every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/9/2016 at 2:02 AM, Geoff CB said:

Love it, plenty of detail and I love the grainy slightly soft image I get in Full Frame 4K mdoe. I think I've found the problem with the color for me, the Magenta's are heavy in the shadows, so I've just slightly adjusted that in premiere using my slightly modified S-Log in camera and have been hitting the look I want every time.

Sir. Geoff CB, I might know from you how you have changed the log 2 on A7rII, or if you can send me a pm?

A7rII:

vlcsnap-2016-10-02-14h57m13s792.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2016 at 3:32 PM, maxmizer said:

Sir. Geoff CB, I might know from you how you have changed the log 2 on A7rII, or if you can send me a pm?


I've been trying to give the A7r II a look similar to "Film" on the blackmagic Ursa Mini 4.6K that leans a little bit more towards green (Ursa is a little magenta) The need arose when I have had to shoot with the two camera side by side and inter cut them. Plus I wanted to get that great look in camera, S-log is too flat to shoot with by eye and breaks apart when trying to grade it, this gives a little more leeway for me and looks good out of camera. I'm away on vacation and will start a thread on it when I get back with more samples.


Sony GFILM

Black Level: 0
Gamma: Slog2
Black Gamma
- Range: Middle
- Level: 0
Knee: Manual  (It blows my mind this is left on Auto by default, it controls how the highlights behave)
- point: 77.5%
- slope: +3
Color Mode: Pro
Saturation: +3
Color Phase: -4
Color Depth: (Wish they would let this be adjusted for highlights/midtones/blacks independently)
- R: +4
- G: -3
- B: +3
- C: +2
- M: -2
- Y: +2
Detail: -7
- Mode: Manual
- V/H Balance: 0
- B&W Balance: Type5
- Limit: 3
- Crispening: 3
- Hi-Light Detail: 0
 

Recommendations: Always shoot 1 to 2 stop over what the camera tells you is proper exposure. Like S-log, the more light you can give it without clipping the highlights the better. With that said, I do not recommend clipping. If you clip the sky you will get a very poor image. In essence, expose properly :)

Do not shoot auto white balance in this mode, set it manually, using auto WB will throw off color and give poor results.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2016 at 0:09 AM, Mat Mayer said:

Here is a photo of Panasonics new lenses, all f2.8-4. Maybe the 8-18mm can accept filters this time? 20160919_134108_resized.jpg

I haven't read the spec sheet, but if these are all variable f/2.8-4, kind of uninteresting for either video or stills, as it normally requires stopping a lens down two stops before aberrations are corrected and resolution peaks. By f/8, you're already running into diffraction. So in the end, you only get a couple stops that are usable for critical applications. As has already been lamented over at LensTip, it's really a shame Panasonic chose to partner with Leica rather than Sigma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2016 at 4:43 PM, midloch said:

Yes I was thinking about is, but do you think that thare is not much difference between 10,5 and 12mm?

Also Voigh is one stop faster but if GH5 will be a stop better than GH4 there will be almost no difference.

I have not used the Samyang 12mm f/2.0, but it could very well be your best bet when it comes to MFT mount glass, and it comes at a very competitive price too. At the moment, to the best of my knowledge, there are no record-setting ulta-wide angles in the micro 4/3 lineup, at least when it comes to resolution at the edges of the frame or work against bright light. Apparently, Olympus's 12mm has excellent coatings to combat flare, but resolution is not record-breaking. The edge sharpness of the new Leica 12mm f/1.4 is significantly lower than the center at optimal apertures and it costs a king's ransom. And while I don't know which gimbal you're using, if you are mounting a Voigtlander on a G6, I don't think it will be easy to use with a pistol grip stabilizer. Also, the Voigt is completely manual, and contrary to what you may have read, it is not distortion-free.  And it doesn't get high marks like their 17.5 and 25mm lenses. On the other hand, the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, which I've been testing again this week, is a superb lens, and, when combined with the Metabones XL, is outstanding in low light (f/1.1 - cf. f/0.95 for the Voigtlander) - images are very usable even wide open. To heck with the cost, a lens should be a lifetime investment. Finally, although I own a Metabones XL and am very happy with it, the company's products are not without fault, and LensRentals doesn't recommend them highly. When mine arrived, the infinity adjustment screw was loose, necessitating taking it to a repair shop and having them play around with it for 30 minutes. A better purchase might be the Aputure Lens Regain, which includes a follow focus, though I have no information about the product's reliability.

I'd also recommend investing in some lights if you are planning to shoot in a dark garage for any length of time...

Edit: you mention the GH5, but you say you're using the G6, so I'm a bit confused... do you intend to upgrade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7.10.2016 at 9:03 AM, jonpais said:

I haven't read the spec sheet, but if these are all variable f/2.8-4, kind of uninteresting for either video or stills, as it normally requires stopping a lens down two stops before aberrations are corrected and resolution peaks. By f/8, you're already running into diffraction. So in the end, you only get a couple stops that are usable for critical applications. As has already been lamented over at LensTip, it's really a shame Panasonic chose to partner with Leica rather than Sigma.

Why don't you like the Leica partnership? In terms of rendering, size and price I think the PL lenses are the best in the whole m43 lineup. Sure, the Nocticron and the 12mm are expensive but the quality is exceptional. The new 8-18mm and 12-60mm with a GH5 seems like an ideal lightweight travel kit if the quality is similar to the rest of the PL lineup. Add a the 15mm and 25mm for low light and you're should be very well covered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously...there are already a full set of 2.8 zooms from each manufacturer. These basically act as a constant f/4 zoom on set, with the option to open up a bit on the wide end in a pinch. Also, one of the benefits of m4/3 in terms of lens design is that they require a lot less stopping down to reach peak performance than comparable full frame glass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheRenaissanceMan I'm guessing these new lenses will be better than the two X lenses, and if they are I would rather have 8-60 f/4.0 than 12-100 f/2.8. Especially for travel. I use the two X lenses wide open and they are very nice, but I like my PL's better. The Oly equivalents look good too, but I don't like the size. I bet these new zooms will have the best out of focus rendering of the tree sets but we will have to wait and see. 

What would you have liked to seen instead of these zooms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

@TheRenaissanceMan I'm guessing these new lenses will be better than the two X lenses, and if they are I would rather have 8-60 f/4.0 than 12-100 f/2.8. Especially for travel. I use the two X lenses wide open and they are very nice, but I like my PL's better. The Oly equivalents look good too, but I don't like the size. I bet these new zooms will have the best out of focus rendering of the tree sets but we will have to wait and see. 

What would you have liked to seen instead of these zooms?

The new lenses will be better in what way? We'll just have to wait and see, because at this point, nobody knows how the new zooms will perform. Why anyone would prefer a slower zoom set when the X series are already on the slow side is beyond me. The thing is, the 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8 constant aperture zooms are already super lightweight lenses  and ideal for travel or throwing on a gimbal. Variable aperture zooms are simply not ideal for video, and the f/4 maximum aperture is going to make it even more difficult to throw the background out of focus, if that's what is desired. And why exactly do you think they will have better out-of-focus rendering (bokeh?) than the other lenses? This would be a neat trick. Did you read that in Panasonic's promotional literature or something? 

Lenses perform better when stopped down, regardless of how good they are at maximum aperture. The new Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN shows how that can be put to advantage, because it is able to achieve record-breaking levels of resolution just because it is a fast lens. Concerning what I would have liked to see instead, I can be pretty certain it won't be coming out of the PL partnership. On the mirrorless side of things, Fujifilm was one of the first to launch relatively fast lenses made in Japan with all-metal construction, while Panasonic decided to manufacture their slow premium zooms from cheap plastic. Yet Panasonic continues to release slow, variable aperture zooms made in China that feel like Fisher Price toys. There is one area where Panasonic might surprise us, and that is with lens coatings. The X zooms boasted about their nano coatings, but their work against bright light is weak, which is one reason I'm looking to replace my 12-35mm f/2.8. Actually, I much prefer the look of full-frame or APS lenses on micro four thirds bodies, and the only reason I'm buying u43 lenses at all now is for use with the Crane gimbal.

Realistically, were I looking at purchasing any more zooms from PL, I'd prefer to see slightly more modest parameters in terms of focal length, and wider constant apertures, around f/2, that didn't break the bank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jonpais If you read my post that you quoted, it says that I would prefer 8-60mm f/4.0 instead of 12-100mm f/2.8. 

In my experience the PL lenses has slightly better color rendition and out-of-focus rendition than other lenses I have used from both Panny and Oly. Which is why I believe this will be the case with the new zooms. 

There are pro's and con's with everything but the balance of size, price and performance of Panasonic body's with PL lenses is perfect for me at the moment. 

Even though they are not identical my kit of PL primes and zooms will be similar and easier to match in post. I know there are cheaper solutions with vintage lenses, speedboosters and what not but there's always a catch.

It's pretty clear that you don't like the new trio and I respect your opinion, but they are very interesting too me (and maybe others) for both stills and video. 

DXO mark doesn't rate the Sigma 30mm any better than the PL 25mm: https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-30mm-f-1.4-DC-DN-C-lens-review-Third-party-MFT-standard-prime Am I missing something or can you post a link to what you are talking about. 

Why don't you just get an A7s and some small lenses if you want low light and super shallow DOF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

@jonpais If you read my post that you quoted, it says that I would prefer 8-60mm f/4.0 instead of 12-100mm f/2.8. 

In my experience the PL lenses has slightly better color rendition and out-of-focus rendition than other lenses I have used from both Panny and Oly. Which is why I believe this will be the case with the new zooms. 

There are pro's and con's with everything but the balance of size, price and performance of Panasonic body's with PL lenses is perfect for me at the moment. 

Even though they are not identical my kit of PL primes and zooms will be similar and easier to match in post. I know there are cheaper solutions with vintage lenses, speedboosters and what not but there's always a catch.

It's pretty clear that you don't like the new trio and I respect your opinion, but they are very interesting too me (and maybe others) for both stills and video. 

DXO mark doesn't rate the Sigma 30mm any better than the PL 25mm: https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-30mm-f-1.4-DC-DN-C-lens-review-Third-party-MFT-standard-prime Am I missing something or can you post a link to what you are talking about. 

Why don't you just get an A7s and some small lenses if you want low light and super shallow DOF?

Really, it's just that - the PanLeica 25mm is almost twice as expensive as the Sigma 30mm. I expect the trio of lenses coming out to be good, but I don't believe their performance will justify the cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Really, it's just that - the PanLeica 25mm costs almost double that of the Sigma 30mm. I expect the trio of lenses coming out to be good, but I don't believe their performance will justify the cost. 

Yeah, the new trio is probably going to be a little more expensive that it should unfortunately. It seems every new lens/camera is getting more expensive, but there's always the older lenses that keep dropping in price and the ever growing used marked. 

I agree, but you also have the Oly 25 and Panny 25 which are pretty close in performance to the Sigma and PL and same price/cheaper than the Sigma. 

I would also love to see some native m43 lenses from Sigma, but it's just not going to happen. And even though Sigma make great bright lenses for APS-C, they are pretty big and heavy. 

Always a compromise :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Yeah, the new trio is probably going to be a little more expensive that it should unfortunately. It seems every new lens/camera is getting more expensive, but there's always the older lenses that keep dropping in price and the ever growing used marked. 

I agree, but you also have the Oly 25 and Panny 25 which are pretty close in performance to the Sigma and PL and same price/cheaper than the Sigma. 

I would also love to see some native m43 lenses from Sigma, but it's just not going to happen. And even though Sigma make great bright lenses for APS-C, they are pretty big and heavy. 

Always a compromise :)

This afternoon, I walked into a used camera shop here in Saigon I'd never seen before and noticed they had a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 for sale. It had been several years since I last held one in my hands, and wow, it just felt so great to hold something made of metal, with such a beautiful smooth focusing barrel, and engraved markings. It makes all my lenses feel like crap, even my beloved Sigmas. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This afternoon, I walked into a used camera shop here in Saigon I'd never seen before and noticed they had a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 for sale. It had been several years since I last held one in my hands, and wow, it just felt so great to hold something made of metal, with such a beautiful smooth focusing barrel, and engraved markings. It makes all my lenses feel like crap, even my beloved Sigmas. :) 

There is always going to be something better, unfortunately...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This afternoon, I walked into a used camera shop here in Saigon I'd never seen before and noticed they had a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 for sale. It had been several years since I last held one in my hands, and wow, it just felt so great to hold something made of metal, with such a beautiful smooth focusing barrel, and engraved markings. It makes all my lenses feel like crap, even my beloved Sigmas. :) 

Yeah, that 25mm Voigtlander is a work of art. I briefly had the lens and it rendered beautifully with the G7 and the best lens I used with the Micro, but the crop factor of the Micro didn't suit my tastes with that lens... The 10mm or the 17mm would have been a better choice, so I ended up selling it to help offset the cost of the Micro. And now I'm selling the Micro and replacing it with the Pocket cam. I just bought the Panny 12-35mm for the Pocket, to use the Pocket as its name suggests. I may try and pick up a used 17mm Voigtlander if the price is right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jonpais said:

The 17.5mm interests me more than the 25mm Voigtlander as well. 

The 17.5 and 42.5 are the sharpest ones. If i can only have one lens on a m43 body it would be the 17.5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

The 17.5 and 42.5 are the sharpest ones. If i can only have one lens on a m43 body it would be the 17.5

100% agreed. I'm a bigger fan of SLR Magic's 25mm and 10mm than Voigtlander's. Has anyone ever tried mixing both on a shoot? I haven't used the Voigts enough to know if they match or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

100% agreed. I'm a bigger fan of SLR Magic's 25mm and 10mm than Voigtlander's. Has anyone ever tried mixing both on a shoot? I haven't used the Voigts enough to know if they match or not.

I tried mixing, the slr magic lenses are always warmer and softer. The voigts give a real cool rendering

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Alex T
      I'm looking to swap my Zeiss ZF.2 lenses for the equivalent Canon mountable Zeiss ZE lenses.
      Each of my lenses comes with 16:9 adaptors (which adapt the lenses to EF bodies, with de-clicked aperture and AF confirmation). 
      I have the following ZF.2 lenses: 21mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/2.0 (Makro Planar), 100mm f/1.4 (Makro Planar).
    • By kidzrevil
      Excellent condition Nikkor 28mm f2.8 ais. No scratches,dirt,oil or fungi. 
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/292167203393 



    • By kidzrevil
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/291899495412 
      Another gem from my contax lens set
    • By kidzrevil
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/291899495412 
      Contax zeiss 28mm f2 hollywood for sale. Item is in great condition you can buy it off my eBay 
    • By Anamatis
      I'm really considering making a big upgrade to the URSA, but I've already invested in a fleet of Canon FDs. I've been doing some research on FD to PL mounts without a lot of luck. I know ARRI make an FD adapter to the ARRI mount (PL??) but besides that seems there's zilch out there. Some talk about machining the lenses to fit the new flange but I was hoping someone here knows of something...
       
       
×
×
  • Create New...