seamlessly work with photo and video

yiomo

Is there any hybrid camera that lets you quickly change between photo and video settings by storing the different settings on memory? I remember when it was first introduced the gh4 was marketed this way?Perhaps I am wrong, but then again one would still have to shoot with the same shutter/setting - not different settings for each mode.

I have been using an A7s for both video and photography for a client and have difficulty every time I need to change the mode because of the 1/50 shutter rule. So when I switch to photo (M), I need to adjust the shutter and then adjust the iso or the variable ND. Not to speak about not being able to film and take pictures at the same time by pressing the shutter button. Also sometimes I take photos with 1/125 and then I shoot the video with this shutter.

Just wondering if anyone had/has this need and if they have found a good solution and with what camera they do that?

thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, yiomo said:

Is there any hybrid camera that lets you quickly change between photo and video settings by storing the different settings on memory? I remember when it was first introduced the gh4 was marketed this way?Perhaps I am wrong, but then again one would still have to shoot with the same shutter/setting - not different settings for each mode.

I have been using an A7s for both video and photography for a client and have difficulty every time I need to change the mode because of the 1/50 shutter rule. So when I switch to photo (M), I need to adjust the shutter and then adjust the iso or the variable ND. Not to speak about not being able to film and take pictures at the same time by pressing the shutter button. Also sometimes I take photos with 1/125 and then I shoot the video with this shutter.

Just wondering if anyone had/has this need and if they have found a good solution and with what camera they do that?

thanks

You can not shoot photo and video at the same time with an A7s but if I just checked and if i change between M mode for stills and video mode on the mode dial (using auto ISO and a manual focus lens), the camera drops to whatever shutter speed I have set for video (1/50 for 50p 1/25 for 25p).     I usually just hit the red record button in M mode when shooting video having manually adjusted.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Fuji XT4, Nikon Z6/7, Pan S5/S1, Sigma FP all do...and maybe others.

With the FP, my settings for one are the settings for the other... I'd like full manual for video, and Aperture Priority auto ISO for photo. But cant set it up... Any tips?

As for OP's question, Fuji XT3 has separate settings if you use the silent video mode. Video settings on touch screen, photo settings on the dials.

16 hours ago, yiomo said:

thanks

I believe the a7s has custom mode 1 and 2 on the mode wheel. Set one with the options for video and one for photo. Have you tried using this? I remember setting the modes on my RX1RM2 was a bit off a hassle. I had to turn the camera on and off after saving the modes for them to be recognizable.

The Canon R5 has different video modes, and you can also customize which mode the camera should record in when you click the "Record video" button. This makes it possible to shoot photos in your prefered photo mode when you click the photo button (For example aperture mode) and as soon as you click the video button the camera will jump to mode C3 which is set up for video.

5 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

With the FP, my settings for one are the settings for the other... I'd like full manual for video, and Aperture Priority auto ISO for photo. But cant set it up... Any tips?

Ah, I don't have one but assumed that because it has a stills/cine switch, it could store different settings. My bad.

XT3 (as above), I used the silent video mode and flipped all the time.

With my S5 and S1H, I simply have an indoor stills mode set to C1, an outdoor mode set to C2 and then 3 video modes, C3 1-3 (4k 25p, 4k 50p and 1080 100p).

13 hours ago, noone said:

You can not shoot photo and video at the same time with an A7s but if I just checked and if i change between M mode for stills and video mode on the mode dial (using auto ISO and a manual focus lens), the camera drops to whatever shutter speed I have set for video (1/50 for 50p 1/25 for 25p).     I usually just hit the red record button in M mode when shooting video having manually adjusted.

when I change the shutter speed for still purposes in M mode and go back to video mode, it doesn't change on my camera. It always carries the shutter speed that was used last.

7 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Ah, I don't have one but assumed that because it has a stills/cine switch, it could store different settings. My bad.

XT3 (as above), I used the silent video mode and flipped all the time.

With my S5 and S1H, I simply have an indoor stills mode set to C1, an outdoor mode set to C2 and then 3 video modes, C3 1-3 (4k 25p, 4k 50p and 1080 100p).

wow. that sounds very convenient. Damn, and I thought I was done thinking about the S1h.

11 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I believe the a7s has custom mode 1 and 2 on the mode wheel. Set one with the options for video and one for photo. Have you tried using this? I remember setting the modes on my RX1RM2 was a bit off a hassle. I had to turn the camera on and off after saving the modes for them to be recognizable.

The Canon R5 has different video modes, and you can also customize which mode the camera should record in when you click the "Record video" button. This makes it possible to shoot photos in your prefered photo mode when you click the photo button (For example aperture mode) and as soon as you click the video button the camera will jump to mode C3 which is set up for video.

The R5 settings sounds fantastic. I wish I had this!

Although I prefer the video mode because I get the audio levels and the 16:9 crop that helps with composition, I'll try the custom modes. Perhaps it will do the trick and it is something I desperately need.

12 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Hey. Yes. that did the trick. How stupid of me. I haven't used the custom modes for a long time. It  works perfect now. thanks!

On 4/11/2021 at 6:10 AM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Panasonic full frame cameras have this for sure, and I suspect the GH5 has this, too, but don't want to swear by it.

Plus the Panasonic full frame cameras have something like 12 custom memory profiles you can set up the way you want.

GH5 does this via custom modes.  I don't use it for stills really, but I have custom modes for video that have different exposure modes (ie, I have custom modes that are Aperture priority and ones that are Manual mode).

5 hours ago, yiomo said:

when I change the shutter speed for still purposes in M mode and go back to video mode, it doesn't change on my camera. It always carries the shutter speed that was used last.

Interesting!

I just checked again (first version A7s version 3.20 firmware).

Currently set to video mode on the mode dial, XACV-s 100p and the shutter speed is 1/100.      

Change to 50p and the shutter speed is now 1/50

Change to 25p and the shutter speed is now 1/25.

Change to M mode on the mode dial and the shutter speed is 1/320 (that i had just set it before starting).

Manual focus Tokina 60-120 2.8 lens attached at 2.8 and using auto ISO.

Hit video button while still in M mode and I am shooting at 1/320.

I wonder if there os some other setting I/we have missed?    Again, I almost never use video on the mode dial (I can not remember ever doing it with this A7s but i did with my previous one (both first versions).

6 hours ago, yiomo said:

DOH!

Of course I missed it (forgot about it actually).

I had it set to auto mode in the movie menu and so that is why I get the shutter speed set to the selection (IE 1/50 for 50p).    I also can not change aperture when I use a lens that communicates electronically (like my Canon 17 TS-E).    Movie setting choice is page 7 of the (first) camera menu.    You can set PASM ias a movie mode different to the PASM mode dial....You have to set the camera to movie on the PASM dial first (the movie mode on page 7 is greyed out otherwise).   THEN you can change it (PASM in movie mode).    THEN you will get the same shutter speed in either stills or M mode on the PASM dial.

9 hours ago, yiomo said:

Damn, and I thought I was done thinking about the S1h.

I debated for a long time whether I would get one or another S5.

Zero regrets, even with all the firmware updates to the S1.

Mostly it was the size (false reports everywhere about how massive it is) though the cost played a part but I bought used (like new) model and in the hands it is near perfect ergo-wise and not heavy at all.

And as a non-fan of flippy screens, the tilt that it has is perfect for me.

9/10 overall with just the single point removed as the AF is not on par with the likes of Fuji or Nikon, never mind Canon or Sony.

It’s a proper pro piece of kit with the bonus that I can now sell my wedding videos to Netflix 🤑🤩🤔