Sign in to follow this  
Roman

Olympus EM-10 or Panasonic GX7??

Hi,

So i'm a Canon 5D Mark III owner and i'm looking for a smaller compact camera as a travel camera, B cam and for street photography. I mainly do video, so video features and quality is important but stills is equally important for personal projects if i'm not taking my Canon out. 

I've narrowed my choice down to two options - the Oly EM-10 and the Pany GX7. As far as i'm aware the picture quality (in stills) for both cameras is similar. However the GX7 has a 1/8000s mechanical shutter and a silent electronic shutter (which i'm not sure the EM10 has) and I do like the tilting EVF. 

The EM10 however has that fantastic IBIS (3 axis not 5 but footage shows it works almost as well). The only thing that is disappointing is the 30p restriction and the video quality/options aren't up to par with the GX7.

Can anyone offer me any advice on which they think is a better choice? Particularly if you own or have used either of these cameras (or even the similar EM-5/EM-1) please share your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 3 axis stabalization will be good but for me doesn't trump the better handling/interface, video focus peaking and video quality of the GX7.

I feel the opposite, and I'm a GX7 owner.  Depends on what you're doing though and how you want to do it.  I have a project coming up that 5-axis stabilization will help make much more productive.

If it were only about image resolution/robustness though, I'd stick with my GX7.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By tompeter
      Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera Body On Ebay, Black
      Price: $348.65
      Brand: Panasonic
      Color: Black
      Type: Auto
      Model: DMC-G7
      Charger Included: Yes
      Megapixels: 16 MP
    • By tompeter
      Panasonic AG-LA7200 16:9 Anamorphic Lens Adapter 72mm 1.33x 2:35:1 DSLR On Ebay
      Price: $1,250.00
      Camera Type: DSLR
      Focal Length Multiplier: 1.33x
      Focal Length: 72mm
      Brand: Panasonic
      Type: Anamorphic
    • By tompeter
      Panasonic LUMIX DC-GH5K GH5 20.3MP Mirrorless Digital Camera - Black (Body Only) On Ebay
      Price: $1,399.99
      Brand: Panasonic
      Type: Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens
      Weight: 22.7 Oz.
      Connectivity: USB
      Battery Type: Lithium-Ion
      Megapixels: 20.3MP
      Features: Auto Focus, Wi-Fi Ready, Freezeproof, Viewfinder, 1080p HD Video Recording, Dustproof
      Manufacturer Color: Black
      Color: Black
      Dimensions: 138.5x98.1x87.4mm
      Series: Panasonic LUMIX
      Model: Panasonic Lumix GH5
      Screen Size: 3.2"
      Option: Black
    • By MurtlandPhoto
      The camera is in excellent condition without any marks. It comes in its original box with all original accessories including battery, charger, sync cable, strap, manual, etc. The 8Sinn cage is wonderful- it fits the camera like a glove and gives it plenty of mounting points for accessories. Price includes insured shipping to anywhere in continental U.S. via USPS Priority Mail. 

Payment using Paypal or Cash App.
      Located in Ithaca, NY.

• By zoombeam
      The original SLR 12mm for micro four thirds.  Built in hood.  Mint.  Box is intact.  Comes with original caps and hood.  $300.00+ shipping.