Jump to content

Any switchers from EOS R to a7sIII? How does the Camera FEEL in comparison?


dvcrn
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a preorder for an a7sIII as a upgrade from my EOS R, after the EOS R6/R5 just didn't live up to it for video. 

I used an A7RIII the other day from a friend and realized how much I dislike how this camera feels which made me reconsider my pre-order. I know Sony recently updated the body ergonomics a bit but now I am curious how other switchers from Canon (specifically EOS R) to Sony feel about the camera, usage, colors etc? 

Say what you want about the EOS R, It has been my favorite camera ever (used Sony A7S, Olympics EM5II, Canon 70D, 80D). I can't put my finger on it, but the camera feels fantastic, is very fun to use, and things like slide-in ND filter makes it very versatile. I just really like this camera, even though it's 4k is not very usable. 

I am worried that with the a7sIII I will get better specs, but will eventually use the camera less because I'm losing the fun I have with the current one. 

(I am not a hardcore video user but use my camera mainly for it (not photos). Shoot mainly in 1080p, but looking to upgrade to 4k, or at least 1080p in 10bit. Oh and I want 120fps and IBIS 🙂 )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So you really like the EOS R and you mostly use 1080p and you rule out R6/R5 I'm confused about this.

The R5 in 4K LQ or 4K crop does not overheat at all and it is way better quality than the EOS R in 1080p. It has the same feeling and you can use the same vND adapter and all your EF lenses works very well with very good AF. So why you want to switch to Sony? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

So you really like the EOS R and you mostly use 1080p and you rule out R6/R5 I'm confused about this.

The R5 in 4K LQ or 4K crop does not overheat at all and it is way better quality than the EOS R in 1080p. It has the same feeling and you can use the same vND adapter and all your EF lenses works very well with very good AF. So why you want to switch to Sony? 

I am using 1080p mainly because it's the limitation of my EOS R. The main reason why I want to upgrade is 4k, 10bit, 120fps and IBIS. And frankly I'm just disappointed with canons releases, artificial crippling, omitting of features and lack of innovation, so as a consumer I don't want to give them my money. 

I could probably make an R5/R6 work and dance around it's overheating issues, but why bother when the a7sIII can do everything I need in a camera for a cheaper price (compared to the R5). That's coming from someone who was 100% sure his next camera would be whatever comes after the EOS R. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dvcrn said:

I am using 1080p mainly because it's the limitation of my EOS R. The main reason why I want to upgrade is 4k, 10bit, 120fps and IBIS. And frankly I'm just disappointed with canons releases, artificial crippling, omitting of features and lack of innovation, so as a consumer I don't want to give them my money. 

I could probably make an R5/R6 work and dance around it's overheating issues, but why bother when the a7sIII can do everything I need in a camera for a cheaper price (compared to the R5). That's coming from someone who was 100% sure his next camera would be whatever comes after the EOS R. 

Rent a R5, test it and take your own conclusions. There is so much bla bla bla just to get viewers..... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The A7s3 is improved over the R3 but I don’t know I feel like you won’t be happy with it. The Sony A7s3 IQ is amazing but the colors are still Sony. I think you’d be happier with the R5 or R6. There are workarounds for the record limits and there’s always 1080p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

The A7s3 is improved over the R3 but I don’t know I feel like you won’t be happy with it. The Sony A7s3 IQ is amazing but the colors are still Sony. I think you’d be happier with the R5 or R6. There are workarounds for the record limits and there’s always 1080p

The colors still being Sony is a myth. I’ve used it on various jobs now and it’s very different than before. Much better. I can match it to the C70 colors in about a minute. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

The colors still being Sony is a myth. I’ve used it on various jobs now and it’s very different than before. Much better. I can match it to the C70 colors in about a minute. 

I am not saying it in a bad way. My z-cam, panasonic, blackmagic, and fuji's colors are all very different than Canon. Ergonomics are different too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, dvcrn said:

I have a preorder for an a7sIII as a upgrade from my EOS R, after the EOS R6/R5 just didn't live up to it for video. 

I used an A7RIII the other day from a friend and realized how much I dislike how this camera feels which made me reconsider my pre-order. I know Sony recently updated the body ergonomics a bit but now I am curious how other switchers from Canon (specifically EOS R) to Sony feel about the camera, usage, colors etc? 

Say what you want about the EOS R, It has been my favorite camera ever (used Sony A7S, Olympics EM5II, Canon 70D, 80D). I can't put my finger on it, but the camera feels fantastic, is very fun to use, and things like slide-in ND filter makes it very versatile. I just really like this camera, even though it's 4k is not very usable. 

I am worried that with the a7sIII I will get better specs, but will eventually use the camera less because I'm losing the fun I have with the current one. 

(I am not a hardcore video user but use my camera mainly for it (not photos). Shoot mainly in 1080p, but looking to upgrade to 4k, or at least 1080p in 10bit. Oh and I want 120fps and IBIS 🙂 )

Why don't you just rent the Sony and rent the R5 and reach your own conclusions for far cheaper than buying either. Personally I was faced with the same list of options and I chose the Panasonic S5. I did test the R6 first because even with all of Canon's BS I felt like if I didn't test the R6 in person I'd always wonder "what could have been" so I tested the R6 prior to picking the S5. Admittedly, the S5 does not do 4K120FPS, but it does do 1080P at 180FPS so for those few times you really want a high frame rate 1080P is still an option.

 

Here are my two completely unbiased reviews for the Panasonic S5 and the Canon R6:

 

Panasonic S5 User Experience

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/48868-panasonic-s5-user-experience/

 

Canon R6 User Experience

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/48628-canon-eos-r5r6-user-experience/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, herein2020 said:

Why don't you just rent the Sony and rent the R5 and reach your own conclusions for far cheaper than buying either.

Yes I agree. Every bodies uses are different and honestly just getting the camera in your hands and using it is the best thing to do.

I went to my local camera shop and held both the R5 and the A7SIII and I settled on the R5 for my uses. Primary IBIS, 45MP photos, competent AF, 4K120p. The A7SIIi has better DR and 4K120p and HD240p but it’s all nitpicking honestly.

I also factored in the M1 Macs as well and they did impact my buying decision as well since I’m a MacOS FCP/resolve user.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the R and I really liked shooting with it despite the soft image and crazy rolling shutter, I liked it so much I was prepared to move to the RF mount after the R5 was announced. From a video standpoint the a7s3 is better in every way but one - I love the R’s grip. Beyond that the controls are better, AF is better, IQ and frame rates/codes crush the R, rolling shutter is almost nil compared to the R’s major jello, better battery life, far better native lens selection including excellent 3rd party support, and so on. I really like shooting with the a7s3, the image is so good and it’s the best Sony a7 from a handling and ergo standpoint I’ve used. They really nailed it. I almost moved to the RF mount, but after the a7s3 was announced I decided to stick with the E mount and I’m glad I did. The s3 is a video workhorse. Like others mentioned, rent if you can. 
 

chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to the store today and they had some of the new cameras for trying. Sadly no r5 but I played for a while with the r6 and a7siii 

Turns out I really like the a7siii. The grip feels very good and high quality and evf and flippy screen are fantastic to use. I used an a7si before and the 3 really feels generations apart  

the r6 isn’t bad but after comparing the 2 for a while, I made the decision to go with the Sony 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...