Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating timers, workarounds, and Magic Lantern

Andrew Reid

I think it’s pretty clear the main processor and DSP become pretty toasty on the R5. The CFExpress heat is a contributing side factor as well.

But please don’t buy the R5 thinking you will make it into a 8K C500 (Unless you are @Matt Perks) You are buying the wrong camera.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

won't be buying another Canon for a while.

R3 looks tempting though.

We have a masochist here lol.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have rigged the Zitay CFExpress to SSD on my R5 for handheld work with a 1 TB Samsung 980 Pro SSD. It works fine at the highest bitrates (8K RAW) and the CFExpress "card' plugs into any CFExpress reader and the transfer rate from the SSD is the same as if it were a CFExpress card (400 MBps). The combo is a significantly cheaper alternative to any 1 TB CFExpress card that has the capability of the 8K RAW bitrates (few do - Canon has a list). I did not find it awkward to use it in the field. But out in the sun I do not think this rig increased time to overheat. Thus, I do not think the CFExpres card is an important source of the heat issue. So, a cheaper alternative for high-capacity fast storage but not a heat saver.

Rig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ade towell said:

Dual card slot recording is a awesome surprise. You know what is less awesome…not being able to use C1-3 for video. My daughter got an R6 the other day. I was shocked to find out this is the case. Bummer.

4 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Dual card slot recording is a awesome surprise. You know what is less awesome…not being able to use C1-3 for video. My daughter got an R6 the other day. I was shocked to find out this is the case. Bummer.

Just to be clear - you can use C1-C3 for video in the R5. And dual slot recording will be in the next R5 firmware update (now you can "only" shoot 8K RAW in the CFexpress slot while simultaneously recording 4K IPB H265 10bit 4K in the sd slot). And 8K RAW via HDMI also in the R5 firmware update.

18 hours ago, markr041 said:

Just to be clear - you can use C1-C3 for video in the R5. And dual slot recording will be in the next R5 firmware update (now you can "only" shoot 8K RAW in the CFexpress slot while simultaneously recording 4K IPB H265 10bit 4K in the sd slot). And 8K RAW via HDMI also in the R5 firmware update.

Yes, I use the custom settings on R5 all the time and in my GH5S before it.

I’ve watched Andrew’s video about the R6 and it’s short comings but even after played around with it my brain is so use to setting up custom video settings for C1-3 that I was still surprised. Makes the R6 feel like an RP  to be honest. 

16 minutes ago, Django said:

Pretty excited about CLOG3 for R6. I'm away from home right now though. Did R5 users note an increase in DR with the Clog3 update (vs Clog)?

You can see 1 stop extra retention on the scopes. In the real world I see more detail in the shadows (with more noise on R5) as well as better roll off from highlights to shadows than C-Log 1 (especially noticeable on a face). C-Log 1 aggressively clips shadow detail.

C-Log 3 a great match for R6, I think. Now if they will fix the custom mode situation it will feel like a $2500 camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if the overheating battery pull hack still works on the Canon R6 Firmware V1.4 that's just been released?

Would love to upgrade for that CLOG3 and dual card video recording, but worried I'll lose the ability to recover my 4K recording time.

• 3 months later...