Jump to content

Canon delivery


Andrew Reid

Recommended Posts

Wow, Peter McKinnons mouth is doing some tricks at 1.07 to 1.17. His approach is different from the times when he was still below 1Mio subs. This mimical artistry is not as engaging as Jim Carreys awesome physical acting but feels out of place instead.

@Andrew Reid I bet one of the new Canons is the right camera for Irene. I wouldnt call her photography art, but commercial art. She does some things very well. Others she is not interested in. I would not see her approach as a threat to the arts. Kitch has always been around and always will be. I can enjoy it and recognize it as not being art at the same time. I enjoy it for the playfulness of her BTS videos. The results are technically well done, form without content. Pure Uberkitch.

Btw, Peters footage looks like shot with a 5D or 6D. Was dreaming of getting a 5diii back then for RAW video. Now I got a Lumix S1 and couldnt be happier. Still thinking to myself, wow, it´s like a 5D but even better with pixelperfect 4K and awesome lowlight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m excited - got my camera cage sorted and ready to go!   

Yeah, he's done really well there persuading London to switch on its Christmas lights for him to shoot that test.

Again I'm not so much interested in the personal or individual targets (just examples to illustrate a wider point)... I am sure she is a success at what she does. But Mediocrity is the new gold s

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Yurolov said:

You need to have talent for that. Some people do it for a job to feed their families and aren't able to create art. I won't criticise someone for working hard and putting food on their table. But not do I expect art from them. 

You could say the same thing about tax collectors, solicitors, parking attendants and telephone cold callers.  

Some vloggers are successful, many just want to be.  The whole format is mostly about increasing subscribers, and not about providing informative and accurate content.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

@Andrew Reid I bet one of the new Canons is the right camera for Irene. I wouldnt call her photography art, but commercial art. She does some things very well. Others she is not interested in. I would not see her approach as a threat to the arts. Kitch has always been around and always will be. I can enjoy it and recognize it as not being art at the same time. I enjoy it for the playfulness of her BTS videos. The results are technically well done, form without content. Pure Uberkitch.

Again I'm not so much interested in the personal or individual targets (just examples to illustrate a wider point)... I am sure she is a success at what she does.

But Mediocrity is the new gold standard it seems.

The most successful and highest watched are those who have put the most vapid eye candy on social media and marketed themselves most effectively.

And it's all very middle class.

Whilst the actual interesting voices, the ones without so many sponsors or the backing of a corporation to gain them attention, go wasting away and eventually will give up because the system is rigged against them from the start.

Have you walked around the streets of Berlin recently and seen for yourselves how many Kim Kardashian bozos there are driving around in big expensive cars their Kayne West husband bought for them, off the back of his 'how the hell did that make money' bozo business idea?

Our culture is going to shit and we casually excuse it every day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Have you walked around the streets of Berlin recently and seen for yourselves how many Kim Kardashian bozos there are driving around in big expensive cars their Kayne West husband bought for them, off the back of his 'how the hell did that make money' bozo business idea?

Our culture is going to shit and we casually excuse it every day.

Unfortunately I cannot bring myself to do that anymore. Even worse, I hardly can stand taking the Sbahn. These pretenders indeed take it all. Attention, public space, language, thought, real estate. Trees being torn down for their fugly townhouses. I get you, Andrew. More than I wish I would have to. People will have to learn to turn away from click bait and from the new camouflages of new click bait. In the end this distraction forbids the public to mature and thatfore to act against threats of our times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

I think you've hit the nail on the head. They are so relentless, so dominant, so hungry and take up so much attention and real estate that the intelligent and artistic minority are squeezed like never before and will soon vanish completely from our cities.

And the same is happening online.

The reason I don't shoot Berlin vignettes and mood pieces any more is that there is no mood, no beauty to it.

The place is being wreaked.

Everywhere is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
10 hours ago, Yurolov said:

I think it must have something to do with fame. Youtube promises easy fame with minimal work/talent. 

For a young kid it is more appealing and easier to be Peter than an obscure filmmaker making films for a select few people. 

There are so few people who appreciate good art that things will never change. 

Yes I agree. Of course it's easier than cinema.

More accessible. You can create junk and still get paid.

Kids at school aspire to be YouTubers instead of filmmakers or actors. The next gen aspire to be social media influencers and shills. They don't want to be musicians (takes skill) or TV celebrities (what's TV?!) TV virtually doesn't exist for the next generation, that's for their parents. They are brought up on internet content.

We don't know what the end result of this will be but I can take a guess.

Our culture will be emptied out of all intelligence and our lives will revolve around numbers, views and consumer choice. Giving people what they want, and more and more. Seeking greater and greater thrills, until burn out hits and we wake up empty of any meaningful internal dialogue with ourselves, or others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The reason I don't shoot Berlin vignettes and mood pieces any more is that there is no mood, no beauty to it.

The way I even see it, is to not to reveal the beauty to the hipster world, so they cannot claim it, pervert it, abuse it to their own selfcentered or even strictly economical agenda. How does one reveal beauty without endangering it? These days... When Techno started it was so absent of hipsterism. A hipster makes even concret to be hip and lose its steel like hardness and rough nature. I dont mean the original hipsters of the 1940ies of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

I was thinking of gathering the most dramatic and moody shots from my old Berlin pieces and editing them together back to back with new 2020 shots.

The beautiful empty haunting Spreepark with the old rusting rides before it was neutered and sanitised, prepped to become an 'eco park'.

The empty spaces, in contrast to the rammed streets now and visual shit in every corner (e-scooters, adverts the size of buildings).

The eccentricity of earlier shots, the minimalism and the kind of personalities I saw on the streets, in contrast to the uniform start-up scene joggers and Kardashian wannabes that populate the streets now with their identical Instagram face mask make-up and sunglasses.

It is social engineering basically.

When you select for the most lucrative rental contracts, the city becomes an office and a shop, but the empty spaces die taking the ghosts with them and all that's interesting outside of commerce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Our culture will be emptied out of all intelligence and our lives will revolve around numbers, views and consumer choice. Giving people what they want, and more and more. Seeking greater and greater thrills, until burn out hits and we wake up empty of any meaningful internal dialogue with ourselves, or others.

I think we are already this, full stop. I think it is a culmination of global “capitalism” and the internet. They feed into each other when you get things like Amazon, affiliate links, and the click-buy-repeat cycle. The internet can be a awesome tool but it has been twisted and bent into something ugly, a weapon, a weapon of mass disinformation, a breeding ground for hate and bad ideas and stupid ideas, and lunacy. The internet is the great connector but the axe can swing the other way and at the same time its the great disconnector. People say and do things that they would never do in public for fear of public ridicule, embarrassment, or straight up jail time.

I feel blessed living in the time we do. Never has the several generations living had so much opportunity. We can hop on a plane for reasonable prices and go anywhere on the globe. We have instant access to information and entertainment and our loved ones that live on the other side of the planet. Two clicks on [insert video chat app of choice]. But at the same time, there is a deep seeded unease that something is not right. Not fulfilling. I think Peter knows this too. On several occasions he has talked about this idea of just unplugging and disappearing. I think this is the discomfort and unease he probably feels with his success and the nature of his success and the balance between gobbling up the money now and just saying fuck it and leaving the shallow shit behind. So I don’t envy him.

Like Jim Carrey said: “I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer”.  Jim says several things in this sentence, but the sobering one is that he realizes that in some ways you can tell people until your blue in the face  that that’s not the answer and they won’t listen. They have to walk the path, sometimes their entire lives, before they realize it. Some on their death bed. And that’s the real tragedy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I answer the phone to cold callers as "Chow Yun Fat, International Movie Star, what can I do for you?".

Yes, I do. Confuses the fuck out of the person trying to sell me a new kitchen.

Other times, I try and sell them wedding photography but that also confuses them.

Buuuuuuuuuuut otherwise, as above, agree with all that, - society is just becoming so shallow.

It changes all the time because it has to change but currently it's heading in a pretty horrible direction.

The thing I always ask myself is, "who are these people?" because I don't know any of them! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Back to topic, so sadness will not come over us.

Canons pre model does not impress me by the footage seen on youtube. Canon R5 4K 120p does not look better than pixel perfect 120p HD to my eyes.

Can you post an example of a pixel perfect 120fps HD? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are certainly in a trouble period, no doubt on that, but human society has always faced this kind of periods, to understand what's next we just have to watch our past history, our society like many others before will inevitably fall, and a new society will emerge, this time will a be digital society most probably, which in time, will also fall and will be replaced by other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Can you post an example of a pixel perfect 120fps HD? 

Would need a web search. Please be adventerous enough to do so. A bit of info from my side: GH5s shoots pixel perfect HD up to including 100fps, GH5 up to 60fps. Though only in 8bit from 60+ fps on. Imagine a pixel perfect HD image of 60fps such as from a GH5, GH5s or C100II, just twice as slow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Would need a web search. Please be adventerous enough to do so. A bit of info from my side: GH5s shoots pixel perfect HD up to including 100fps, GH5 up to 60fps. Though only in 8bit from 60+ fps on. Imagine a pixel perfect HD image of 60fps such as from a GH5, GH5s or C100II, just twice as slow.

I don't want to imagine it I want to see actual footage and view that you mention that you are not impressed compared to pixel perfect HD it would be great to prove it...... currently the best  120 fps I saw so far are:

1 C300 III 4k 120 (this is the best one as is oversampled)
2 R5 4k 120
3 ZCam E2 4k 120

So I'm really curious as all the HD stuff that I saw is way less good than the 3 above. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@gt3rs unfortunately this is the best i can communicate my impression about the 4k 120p footage I have seen so far from the R5. I was not impressed. Others can still be impressed. I am sure when avid filmers put that camera into use for a short film it will shine image wise. But so do S1, S1H, Nikon Z6, Canon R. The 120 4k  to my eyes does not look better than pixel perfect HD. That can change if less compressed footage will appear on vimeo. 4k 120 in 10bit 422 is an awesome spec, even 4k 60p 10bit 422. If it will show in the quality of the images then of course it will be an attraction.

Pixel perfect 120fps HD with 240th second of a shutter or even 500th second is an attraction by itself!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@gt3rs unfortunately this is the best i can communicate my impression about the 4k 120p footage I have seen so far from the R5. I was not impressed. Others can still be impressed. I am sure when avid filmers put that camera into use for a short film it will shine image wise. But so do S1, S1H, Nikon Z6, Canon R. The 120 4k  to my eyes does not look better than pixel perfect HD. That can change if less compressed footage will appear on vimeo. 4k 120 in 10bit 422 is an awesome spec, even 4k 60p 10bit 422. If it will show in the quality of the images then of course it will be an attraction.

Pixel perfect 120fps HD with 240th second of a shutter or even 500th second is an attraction by itself!

You can download 10bit h265 4k 120fps and this what did impress most of us looking at the original on a 4k screen in resolve applying our own grade, sharpening etc... you seem to comment without checking out the original and not posting a comparable pixel perfect hd. You could be right but so far is word vs footage....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...