Gigapixel AI Upscaler for Video Beta

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is interesting to me, more from a nerd perspective rather than a desire to deliver in 8K, but interesting nonetheless.

I think it would be really interesting to see real tests where an 8K sequence is downscaled to 4K or 2K, ran through the upscaler, then compared mathematically to the original resolution.  Obviously we don't see exactly the same as a straight mathematical comparison, so subjective comparisons would also be useful, but comparisons can be made.

I watched a comparison of some stills image upscalers and the person reviewing them consistently chose the worst quality ones because they smoothed the skin and did other things that no-skill retouchers love to do, so it would be nice to get more objective results.

11 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Topaz has a free beta for their AI based video upscale out! I use their still image upscale often, will be posting some tests shortly of this. Glimpse of the future! 

https://videoai.topazlabs.com/beta

Thanks for sharing this. It would be interesting to see whether it would allow greater detail or less micro blocking when zoomed it. 

Sometime ago, there was a theory about 8-bit 4k 4-2-0 having the colour depth of 12-bit 4-2-2 (or something of that type), when downchaled for resolution and then upscaled for bit depth. I tested it on DaVinci with my friend, but I am not sure whether it held up better for grading or made any any difference whatsoever. 

The link doesn't seem to open or its extremely slow. 

A couple of days ago, I down-loaded the beta version of Topaz Megapixel AI to my PC ( Windows 10 , i7, 16GB ram, GTX650 Ti graphics card with 2GB memory )

It is free for a 30 day trial.

I tried some sample clips - process was painfully slow. To render a clip 1080 30p which was 1 minute long was going to take 7.5 hours.

I have some clips made 12 years ago of my grandchildren. 640x480 15fps . I have managed to up-scale these to 1920x1080 30fps in Resolve 15 and get improvements

The stabilizer seems to reduce jerky effect of 15 fps and produce something which is better to view.

I wondered what the Topaz Megapixel AI would do when using it to up-scale from 640x480 to 1920x1080. I tried it on a clip 2 seconds long  to reduce render time.

It did 'improve' the image quality to some extent. I compared a before and after image of a single frame.

I also tried it on some 1920x1080 30fps clips converting them to 4K. I compared before and after a still frame but couldn't see any difference.

Topaz-  640x480 to 1080p.jpg

The mythical "Sharpene" is  improving!

I wonder how this "AI" product compares to typical wavelet sharpening.

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

Thanks for sharing this. It would be interesting to see whether it would allow greater detail or less micro blocking when zoomed it.

The Topaz Labs JPEG to RAW AI seems to get rid of macro-blocking.  Topaz Labs offers six products, some with apparently overlapping functions.

Sometime ago, there was a theory about 8-bit 4k 4-2-0 having the colour depth of 12-bit 4-2-2 (or something of that type), when downchaled for resolution and then upscaled for bit depth.

Yes, resolution can be traded for bit depth while maintaining the same color depth, but those figures are not mathematically correct.

Keep in mind that bit depth is not actually color depth.  Digital color depth is a product of resolution and bit depth:  digital color depth = resolution x bit depth.

I tested it on DaVinci with my friend, but I am not sure whether it held up better for grading or made any any difference whatsoever. 

The color depth of an image cannot be increased, unless something artificial is introduced (which is evidently what some of the Topaz Lab products do).  So, scaling down the resolution of an image to increase bit depth won't add any color depth for grading.

On the other hand, if you merely scaled down the resolution without summing the binned pixels and then just increased the bit depth, you likely threw away a lot of the color depth.  The pixels have to be binned/summed (or averaged) to retain the image's color depth, when trading resolution for bit depth.