Vitaliy Kiselev decoding Nikon D7100 firmware, discovers "LiveView Raw"

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
nikon-d7100-ntools

Our favourite GH2 hacker Vitaliy Kiselev has just released version 2.55 of "NTool", his firmware patcher for Nikon cameras. Vitaliy says there's references to 'LiveView Raw' in the firmware. What does it refer too?

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10691/nikon-d7100-has-reference-to-liveview-raw-in-firmware-and-vitaliy-kiselev-working-on-patches]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

as you say Andrew its now time for all the major manufacturers to get with it and make cameras with a RAW option on them.

It is there in the cameras but its taking hackers to find it and make it work.

I just got a Panasonic G6 and I have to say Panasonic have definately listened to all the hackers thoughts on the GH2 flaws and the image from the G6 is superb - straight out the box with no hack.

very sharp and detailed image and no mosquito noise in the dark and black areas !

I believe, that Magic Lantern, brings a certain degree of finesse, and noticeable quality difference, with their hacks. Even before their RAW for video, ML had some amazing profiles, for shooting Seriously Flat video, on Canon cameras. Something, that made grading a pleasure.

Unfortunately, this seems to missing, with other hackers ... 

I think ML is a huge project with a lot of knowledgeable people working on it, putting a lot of time in it, making it better day by day.

The GH2 / Nikon hack, seems to be mostly a one person thing... I know lots of other people are working on making the ideal hack settings (codec optimization?) but the actual hacking seems to be at a much smaller scale (that's the feeling I get at least, I'm not an insider). Must be impossible to do the same kind of work that ML does on your own.

Would be great if we can get raw on more dslrs, but I think it's hard to beat the power of ML in terms of 'organisation' and man power.

Great news! :)

Although I have a line-skipping D800, raw / prores would certainly come in handy. And getting a D5200/D7100/D3200 wouldn't be out of the question since I already have a nice lens setup.

How can I/we support Vitaliy with this project?

Edit: I just found out that he takes donation on the site, http://www.personal-view.com/ - will for sure donate so he can work on this project :)

as you say Andrew its now time for all the major manufacturers to get with it and make cameras with a RAW option on them.

It is there in the cameras but its taking hackers to find it and make it work.

I just got a Panasonic G6 and I have to say Panasonic have definately listened to all the hackers thoughts on the GH2 flaws and the image from the G6 is superb - straight out the box with no hack.

very sharp and detailed image and no mosquito noise in the dark and black areas !

Hey Andy - a little off subject but congrats on your new G6 _I'm very interested in this camera. Could you see if it shoots 50/60p in Ex Tele mode? Also I love my D5200 and a raw hack would be awesome.

It's a fact that all digital cameras have to deal with raw information, that allow them to bake the given information into popular codecs. 

We haven't seen companies giving us the raw information since it is not suitable for mass consumers (the mass consumer simply don't care). With out mention raw require a lot of computer power. It's now, that we have the power to edit Hollywood footage quality in our home computers. It is now, that the filmmaker revolution will stand again, changing the history as we know it. Or it is just what I want to believe. But I know for sure that thanks to ML the cameras companies will think twice before releasing a cinema camera, telling us it is a true 1080, or a clean hdmi. 

Still, I like where this is going. 

Good news. Esp since I've jumped ship from M43 to DX format (primarily for the easier wides and better bokeh)
But no comment from me on a DSLR/Mirrorless would be complete without my customary rant....
Why not ditch the DSLR form-factor dammit?
We don't need it anymore.
I want the the real deal. A BOX for smart control arrays.
There. Now I can dream of RAW out of the D7100

:huh: C'mon! There will be no Nikon RAW video hack from Vitaliy.

He just saw interesting entry in firmware, that's all.

It's not as strong group as ML. He did a nice hack for GH2 few years ago, but that's all.

The progress is very slow: thay are just adapting the hack for new Panasonic cameras firmwares (and adding virtually no new features).

If you are very optimistic (I am not ;)) and if Vitaliy will investigate it further, you can maybe expect some results in 2-5 years..

What's odd is that Nikon want a piece of this action but won't move on it.

They are sponsoring Virgin Media Shorts, giving a lot of talks on the subject or DSLR shooting, but in fact most entries will be shot on Canon SLRs.

They should step it up and make a nice mirrorless with some real video features. Raw would kill it, but they do seem a bit too closely tied to Canon to compete so aggressively.