Fuji X-T3 reborn with HLG

androidlad

1 hour ago, Stathman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, i think the correct way to do it is to use the preferred "HLG to xxx Lut" as a 3d output lut so any further corrections happening before the lut is applied to the image.

fAO8qCP.png

actually it is wrong. color magement will convert to any output you want and you can change it when you want and rcm is non destructive.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

2 hours ago, thephoenix said:

actually it is wrong. color magement will convert to any output you want and you can change it when you want and rcm is non destructive.

Yes, of course you can use rcm.

I was just following the previews posts and my point was about the correct way to apply the lut.

You can use REC.2100 HLG as an input in rcm.

• 2 weeks later...

what is the exact workflow here though? i just import my HLG footage in final cut, and then simply drop that alexa x2 lut on it and grade it from there? or do i have to tell final cut to interpret the footage in some particular way blabla

On 4/4/2019 at 11:01 AM, kepache said:

what is the exact workflow here though? i just import my HLG footage in final cut, and then simply drop that alexa x2 lut on it and grade it from there? or do i have to tell final cut to interpret the footage in some particular way blabla

HLG is Rec2020 it has to be resolved to Rec709 at some point unless only going to be seen on a TV that can resolve HDR10. 

FCPX has a default custom lut plugin that can do just that in a Rec709 Library. Pop it on your footage and choose Rec2020 input and Rec709 output...to boot you can add a lut if you want to or just let the plug resolve the color space for you.

13 hours ago, Wed said:

HLG is Rec2020 it has to be resolved to Rec709 at some point unless only going to be seen on a TV that can resolve HDR10. 

FCPX has a default custom lut plugin that can do just that in a Rec709 Library. Pop it on your footage and choose Rec2020 input and Rec709 output...to boot you can add a lut if you want to or just let the plug resolve the color space for you.

thanks!

First of all, thank you for sharing your results!

I'm just starting out with video, could you please share the LUT that you used for the shot titled "HLG with Alexa LUT generated by LUTCalc, no grading, WB 5300K, Shift 0"? My results look vastly different from what you are getting, I'm not sure what I'm inputting wrong in LUTCalc. I'm using Resolve.

• 3 weeks later...

Stathman, thanks for sharing your workflow with the custom LUTs. I'm curious as to why nobody is keeping the gamma fixed in HLG (without transform) and just remapping the gamut to Rec.709. When using the LUTs shared on here I found myself pulling the luma curve way down to get a correct exposure and gamma. I then created a new LUT that transforms the gamut from Rec2100 to Rec709 but keeps the gamma as Rec2100 HLG (no transform). With this new LUT I barely have to tweak the wheels to get the image looking neutral.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone help with the exact steps to edit HLG Footage in FCPX?

1) Library set to Rec2020

2) Import Files recorded in 422 Pro Res 10bit Fujifilm Flog F.Gamut of the NINJA V in FCPX (They show up as Rec709 files in the infobox window, what is strange / The internal recorded files are displayed as Rec2020 HLG in the infobox box in the right corner)

3) And then how to proceed?!

Thank you!

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, redepicguy said:

What are you guys setting your zebras to when shooting HLG? 

? funny, question seems familiar, you should have copied paste my question ;)

how do you guys expose with the XT3 for hlg ?

any of you use ETTR ? if yes how do you work ? zebras or histogram ?

how should zebras be set ?

• 2 weeks later...

well i did a quick test setting zebra to 100% then going to the limit of the 100 using the nd filter and then ETTR.

did the same with 95 and 90% but got more details in the shade with 100 and i keep the highlights ok,  so as highlights are not clipped in resolve and got details in the shadows i think i am gonna work like that for the next projects.

• 3 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 1:21 PM, No Parade said:

Can anyone help with the exact steps to edit HLG Footage in FCPX?

1) Library set to Rec2020

2) Import Files recorded in 422 Pro Res 10bit Fujifilm Flog F.Gamut of the NINJA V in FCPX (They show up as Rec709 files in the infobox window, what is strange / The internal recorded files are displayed as Rec2020 HLG in the infobox box in the right corner)

3) And then how to proceed?!

Thank you!

Did you ever get this workflow? I use FCPX also and would like to understand workflow. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Marin said:

Can someone put F-log to Alexa lut? I don't use HLG and can't find one for F-log. Thanks!

You can use LUTcalc to make one https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/LUTCalc/index.html

If you use Resolve, you can use a CST node, which should have slightly better results than a LUT. They supposedly added F-Log support in version 16.1 (I'm still on 16.0 so I can't confirm firsthand).