Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, androidlad said:

BREAKING NEWS:

Fujinon XF 16-80mmF4 R OIS WR with lens firmware 1.01 offers smooth flicker-free zooming in the entire range, making it the most video-friendly lens in the Fujinon line-up.

It isn't video friendly to me without a Linear Motor. I know manual focus is preferred by many (and yes, I often use manual focus), but I love auto focus when I am running and gunning and especially on a gimbal and nothing can beat the Linear Motor autofocus of the 16-55. Yes, the flicker in the zoom is annoying, but I am never performing an action where I need to zoom while recording and keep the zoom motion in the recording - rather I pick the focal length I want and then record.

I would still prefer the 16-55.

8 minutes ago, steeped-prod said:

It isn't video friendly to me without a Linear Motor. I know manual focus is preferred by many (and yes, I often use manual focus), but I love auto focus when I am running and gunning and especially on a gimbal and nothing can beat the Linear Motor autofocus of the 16-55. Yes, the flicker in the zoom is annoying, but I am never performing an action where I need to zoom while recording and keep the zoom motion in the recording - rather I pick the focal length I want and then record.

I would still prefer the 16-55.

What does linear focus motor entail? 

For the highest quality video and color grading when shooting F-Log 10-Bit, is it better to transcode to a specific codec or edit H.265 with proxies? 
Is there a noticeable difference? 
What’s the best codec I can transcode to?

I own a Ninja V, but I only have one and most of my jobs require 2-4 cameras. 

50 minutes ago, chadandreo said:

For the highest quality video and color grading when shooting F-Log 10-Bit, is it better to transcode to a specific codec or edit H.265 with proxies? 

Hard to go wrong with Prores 422. I don't like using H265 as it takes way longer to render, at least on my system. 

7 hours ago, chadandreo said:

I am in the same boat Chadandreo. I have 3 Fuji X-T3's, but only 1 ninja v. My Ninja V is on my main rig so I can record the highest quality, but on a wedding day we are shooting multiple cameras and we are just shooting 10 bit 4k 60 the whole day. We make proxies and then edit on those and then flip back to H265 for the export.

If I am doing a project with less footage, like I am editing a corporate story right now where the interview portion was shot on a ninja v 422 24 10 bit and the B-roll was all internal 4k 60 10 bit. All of this I am editing natively on a timeline with no transcoding. I have to wait for renders but it still plays back pretty smoothly. I am on a 2015 MacBook Pro on the new version of FCPX though...

7 minutes ago, chadandreo said:

Is there a noticeable difference in Dynamic Range and highlight roll-off between F-Log and HLG?

Also, is their a noticeable difference in noise since they use a different base ISO?

I have not seen a post that covers the first question.

There are a couple threads about your questions, easily searchable here.

5 minutes ago, androidlad said:

There are a couple threads about your questions, easily searchable here.

As I mention, I did search. There are plenty of post that pop up for others cameras, especially the GH5, but nothing on the XT3. 

If you are familiar with any specific posts covering this and dont mind sharing, please do. 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:45 PM, chadandreo said:

Is there a noticeable difference in Dynamic Range and highlight roll-off between F-Log and HLG?

Also, is their a noticeable difference in noise since they use a different base ISO?

I have not seen a post that covers the first question.

Answers to your questions

There is about 2/3 - 1 stop improvement in dynamic range with HLG over Flog.

I am unable to tell if there is a difference in highlight rolloff.

Difference in noise?  I usually shoot at isos above base.  So I am unable to comment if there is a difference in noise.

One other thing about shooting HLG on the X-T3.  I am less prone to getting some unusual magenta casts in highlights with HLG.  The disadvantage of HLG is that you must record H265 and one has to transcode the footage to improve editability.

Don Barar

3 hours ago, dgbarar said:

Answers to your questions

There is about 2/3 - 1 stop improvement in dynamic range with HLG over Flog.

I am unable to tell if there is a difference in highlight rolloff.

Difference in noise?  I usually shoot at isos above base.  So I am unable to comment if there is a difference in noise.

One other thing about shooting HLG on the X-T3.  I am less prone to getting some unusual magenta casts in highlights with HLG.  The disadvantage of HLG is that you must record H265 and one has to transcode the footage to improve editability.

Don Barar

Thank you for the detailed reply. I’ve used F-Log and loved the results I can’t imagine what the footage will look like with the extra stop of DR. I’ll give HLG a try. 

33 minutes ago, chadandreo said:

Thank you for the detailed reply. I’ve used F-Log and loved the results I can’t imagine what the footage will look like with the extra stop of DR. I’ll give HLG a try. 

I suggest you do your own tests, take a contrasty scene, expose both to the right and compare shadow detail in post. I didn't see a difference in DR. Noise was similar.

10 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Guess you all forgot these two threads:

HLG shifts 2/3 stop DR to the highlight compared to F-log due to the difference in ISO rating (1000 vs 640, it's NOT actual gain). Their underlying analog amplification are all ISO640.

Yup, that might be the reason why people think it has more DR, but it's just a different mapping of the same latitude with the same analog amp. It has a bit more precision because it also uses values below 95 (10bit), and this MIGHT lead to ever so slightly cleaner blacks (when both exposed to the right), but it's minimal really. Choose HLG if you run into those magenta issues or if you prefer the workflow, otherwise F-Log is just fine.