Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Why do everyone keep saying the GH5S and BMPCC4K sensor is the same? They are literally different sizes. Did I miss something?

BMPCC4K: 18.96 mm x 10 mm
GH5/S: 17.3 x 13 mm

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
30 minutes ago, SR said:

Why do everyone keep saying the GH5S and BMPCC4K sensor is the same? They are literally different sizes. Did I miss something?

BMPCC4K: 18.96 mm x 10 mm
GH5/S: 17.3 x 13 mm

Panasonics states the sensor size for the 4:3 aspect ratio. When shooting 16:9 or 17:9, the sensor is also 18.96mm wide. Blackmagic states the sensor size for 17:9, because its camera doesn't have a 4:3 mode.

The real size of the sensor is 18.96x13mm, but there seems no way of reading out this complete area in an open gate mode (probably because of limitations of the sensor electronics).

8 hours ago, hansel said:

FACT!!! Having a hand-layed-carbon-fibre-textile-vac-bagged body would strech their (and our) budget slightly :grin:

Agree, I just wanted to point out that this is not what people think as the lightweight & superstrong "carbon fiber", but a"heavy"  traditional plastic (which is already used by camera manufacturers) reinforced with tiny carbon fibers....

On 13.4.2018 at 5:07 PM, Danyyyel said:

Take that fucking camera and comment at least what you are seeing. Take for example rolling shutter, I mean it is so easy to pan right left and have at leat an impression about rolling shutter, but until now zero.

Not the smartest people at such events. 

I wasn't aware that HLG - us poor men's HDR - was in the menu:

BMPCC4K-HLG.jpg

16 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That reminds me. I need a hair cut!

If you are lucky it might come earlier than September, but you look like a couple of cm here and there will not kill you ;)

11 hours ago, amanieux said:

i have a newbie question : when we have a thin black line(less than 1 pixel width) on a white background like a telephone wire in the sky will raw 4:4:4 have double the resolution in x and double the resolution in y compared to h264 4:2:0 ? (for example i dont remember the old bmpcc in 1080p raw  having comparable resolution to 4k h264 4:2:0 :

).

Well I am not super qualified to answer your question but there will be in a sense No more resolution in Raw. It might look that way because it will be a bit sharper. It in essence is what the camera captured without Any processing at all. So there will be less jaggies because of less NR, processing, a LuT baked in etc., etc. It will be a pure signal that will have more Info, , more colors because it will be 12 bit, to be able to manipulate in post.  It as they say, will be a thicker frame. Virgin footage is a word that comes to mind. So just a cleaner output to edit with pretty much anyway you want to do it. It will make better looking footage If you can edit well.

On 4/13/2018 at 11:26 AM, webrunner5 said:

On 4/13/2018 at 12:11 PM, Emanuel said:

That Bob Caniglia from BMD about 1:25 minute also states 400 and 3200, so I know nothing for the subject matter :-)

Yeah Bob Canigila is the Director of Sales Operations in America. It is probably their biggest market. You would Think he knows the specs. But this does seems like a sort of rushed announcement, so I am sure some facts accidentally were misrepresented. It would be Nice if it was that low @ 400 ISO

This article I have not seen has the Blackmagic Cinema Camera Press Release in it. It does not state the what the dual ISO's are in  it though, just that it does have dual ISO's. Press release at the bottom of the article.

http://thenewcamera.com/blackmagic-cinema-camera-features-4k-hdr-and-dual-native-iso/

It would be kind of nice for someone from BM to post a video that does clear up a lot of misconceptions everyone has about the camera. Maybe some are not really finalized yet though?

2 hours ago, Axel said:

Not the smartest people at such events. 

I wasn't aware that HLG - us poor men's HDR - was in the menu:

BMPCC4K-HLG.jpg

This thing has a Hell of a lot of stuff for an amazing price of really just $999.00. You can almost bet by the time this thing comes out you will be able to Just buy the body without the Dongle. I can't see BM Forcing people to Re Buy a product they may already have. I know you Could re sell it but that is sort of a crazy way to market it.

Now maybe if you can provide a serial # for the full blown Resolve you can only pay 999 bucks, if not you have to pay 1299 bucks?

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I can't see BM Forcing people to Re Buy a product they may already have. I know you Could re sell it but that is sort of a crazy way to market it.

Not at all...software distribution is basically free. So BM can claim if you include the cost of the software this is a sub $1000 cinema camera.  It cost money to manufacture, QA, ship hardware. Even at $1300 for a low volume hardware company it's quiet amazing. So I don't see them selling the camera without the dangle dongle for $1000. 

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

This thing has a Hell of a lot of stuff for an amazing price of really just $995.00. You can almost bet by the time this thing comes out you will be able to Just buy the body without the Dongle. I can't see BM Forcing people to Re Buy a product they may already have. I know you Could re sell it but that is sort of a crazy way to market it.

Idk, I think the price is the price. I have a feeling, there may be a revamped “Pro” version of Resolve in the works, which will expand upon the Studio version and this is why they are giving it out for free with the camera.

4 minutes ago, salim said:

Not at all...software distribution is basically free. So BM can claim if you include the cost of the software this is a sub $1000 cinema camera.  It cost money to manufacture, QA, ship hardware. Even at $1300 for a low volume hardware company it's quiet amazing. So I don't see them selling the camera without the dangle dongle for $1000. 

Yeah but why would you pay again for something you already have? That is sort of stupid. There is a hell of a lot of people have the Studio version, and a hell of a lot of them will probably buy this camera.

You’re not paying for it, it comes free with the price of the camera.

It’s just a marketing ploy to get people into their post workflow system and an extra bit to entice people to buy the camera. 

Just now, mercer said:

You’re not paying for it, it comes free with the price of the camera.

It is not free, Why the hell would you pay a premium for a thing you already own. What you going to do with the Dongle, there will be a million of them on ebay!

Before this camera was announced there was a short press release of the 2 prices I have said above. I think it may happen. And really, nothing is free.

Just now, Danilo Del Tufo said:

If i've understood correctly, the software costs about 300$, so the camera costs less 300$.

But you cannot buy the camera without the free software included, so you are still paying $1299 for the camera.

Just now, mercer said:

But you cannot buy the camera without the free software included, so you are still paying $1299 for the camera.

This month  you can't, 6 months from now maybe LoL. :grin:

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

It is not free, Why the hell would you pay a premium for a thing you already own. What you going to do with the Dongle, there will be a million of them on ebay!

Before this camera was announced there was a short press release of the 2 prices I have said above. I think it may happen. And really, nothing is free.

But who would pay for a full price add on when there will hundreds of dongles for sale on eBay for at least $100 off the full price. 

The camera costs $1299, with the price of the camera, they are giving you free software. 

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Idk, I think the price is the price. I have a feeling, there may be a revamped “Pro” version of Resolve in the works, which will expand upon the Studio version and this is why they are giving it out for free with the camera.

That may be very true if and when the camera, or all of their cameras get ProRes Raw. They All should be able to use it. BM is in a damn good position on this. Grant Petty is one smart cookie.