Nikon user[Photo/Video]: Sony A7iii vs GH5 vs ..

Aquilasfx

Ciao, 

Hello,

I'm a Nikon user who work as photographer 70%, 30% video, and this is my gear:
D700 
D800 
Lenses: 
14-24 2.8g 
24-70 2.8g 
70-200 2.8g 
35 2 
24 1.4g 
85 1.4g 
105 2.8 

I also use contacts G2 with: 28, 45 90 And other film cameras.

I also use for video production the Atomos Ninja Flame video recorder.

In this moment my only body for video assignment is the D800, since I started more video works in this period (interviews, corporate jobs), I need a backup camera, in this case I have to go with a Sony A7iii (I really like their concept, weight, and overall quality for both video and photo) or GH5 (especially for video)? I firstly was oriented to a D750 for budget, (I can't afford a new D850). Maybe is better to wait? Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Whatever Andrew said, but I should add that there must be a Nikon mirrorless on its way (rumors and patents say that it will be a new modern mount, but older lenses will work perfectly with a Nikon adapter).

Wait for a little bit longer I say. 

30 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

My advice would be to sell the D700, D800 and Atomos Ninja Flame.

Use the funds towards a D850.

Thank you Andrew, but in this case then I need always another camera... I can't work only with a D850... It's not possible due for backup, or the ability to use 2 bodies with differents lenses at the same time). The Ninja Flame for me  is very useful (to focus properly and to have a bigger screen in production...)

13 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Whatever Andrew said, but I should add that there must be a Nikon mirrorless on its way (rumors and patents say that it will be a new modern mount, but older lenses will work perfectly with a Nikon adapter).

Wait for a little bit longer I say. 

Maybe It's better to wait for a Nikon ML camera.

Regarding GH5 or A7iii?

On 3/20/2018 at 12:27 AM, Andrew Reid said:

My advice would be to sell the D700, D800 and Atomos Ninja Flame.

Use the funds towards a D850.

But then he would be without a second / back up body.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:46 PM, Aquilasfx said:

I firstly was oriented to a D750 for budget, (I can't afford a new D850).

I reckon any of D750 / D7500 / D500 could be a smart and sensible move for someone in your shoes.

For right now, I'd look into the option of selling the D700 and replacing it with a D750. Makes sense since the video image from D750 and D800 would match up pretty nicely with the colors, and makes sense considering you're heavily invested in Nikon lenses.

Nikon has a mirrorless camera in the works if you're ready to have a possibly long wait. It might be released in 2018, might be for later in 2019: https://nikonrumors.com/category/nikon-mirrorless-camera/

If you go the GH5 route, you'll probably want to invest in a few more lenses. With a full frame Sony you'd at least be able to match lenses better to the sensor, and there are adapters for matching up with your Nikon G lenses, although you usually lose the smallest apertures with them.

I say mostly wait.

Sell your D700 and get a used D750 as a stop gap. Gives you a second better video body and a better photo body. Wait on everything else. Get the Sony if you want to drop Nikon. I did it, but it was a relatively rough transition, and a lot of your Nikon lenses  wont AF properly on the Sony for your photo work.

If Nikon makes a good mirrorless stick with them, if not switch to another brand.

I think I would agree with Geoff CB above.

The D750 is a really nice stills camera. A lot to like about it. I moved from the D750 over to the APS-C size Sony a6500 for a couple of reasons (mostly because the a6500shoots 4K, works well on a single-handle gimbal, and the fact that I can adjust settings with one hand on the a6500 while in my left hand I am generally holding a flash gun, light stand, or flash remote triggers. Plus I like the quick AF of the a6500 in movie mode, whereas the AF of the D750 in movie mode is really, really bad).

The 1080p output of the D750 is pretty soft. I haven't really figured out a way to sharpen it up nicely without it breaking apart (I am sure there is a way to do it and that smarter people than myself have achieved it; just I am not that sharp of a person - bad pun intended).

So maybe you need to ask yourself:

1) Do you need 4K? If not, then maybe some of the M43 Panasonic cameras would do since they have good 1080p. Of course, then there is the whole focal length issues...

2) If you don't need 4K and would like convenience, can you live with the softish 1080p of the D750?

3) If you need 4K and high megapixels, maybe Two used Sony a7R II bodies and an adapter for your nikon lenses? I don't think you would have working AF for AF-C but maybe the comlite adapter would give you usable AF for AF-S???

Starting at 7:06 he talks about the comlite adapter with Nikon lenses on sony bodies.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:05 PM, Geoff CB said:

I say mostly wait.

Sell your D700 and get a used D750 as a stop gap. Gives you a second better video body and a better photo body. Wait on everything else. Get the Sony if you want to drop Nikon. I did it, but it was a relatively rough transition, and a lot of your Nikon lenses  wont AF properly on the Sony for your photo work.

If Nikon makes a good mirrorless stick with them, if not switch to another brand.

Yes, I don't really like the softness of D750...

I would like a 4K camera and compact in size to use with my new gimbal Feyutech 2000. Now using D800 with 24 or 35 is at limit. Another nice feature is a good sensor also for pictures when I go for my trips.

What I have understood is that GH5 need too many budget for lenses (my Nikon lenses are not too adaptable??), and is not too good for pictures.

Sony A7iii?

Yeah going to Very hard to beat a Sony A7 mk III. For the money now it just seems like the thing that fits most peoples needs. I guess there is the Fuji X-H1 but still no low light gain and not FF. And AF is not as good either. I guess a used A7r mk II is not the worse idea if your main goal is photos. 42mp is sort of the cats ass for that.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah going to Very hard to beat a Sony A7 mk III. For the money now it just seems like the thing that fits most peoples needs. I guess there is the Fuji X-H1 but still no low light gain and not FF. And AF is not as good either. I guess a used A7r mk II is not the worse idea if your main goal is photos. 42mp is sort of the cats ass for that.

I don't like the ergonomics on the A7r II, and there isn't a joypad for focus... :S

42 minutes ago, Aquilasfx said:

I don't like the ergonomics on the A7r II, and there isn't a joypad for focus... :S

So you want a GH5 that can't AF very well,  not so hot DoF,  not so hot in low light, and is only 20mp, when 70% of your stuff is Photos. Interesting. But it does have a joypad and so does the A7 mk III.  :grin: I would go with a Olympus EM1 mk II over the GH5 if I was more into Photos if you want m4/3. But no joypad on it either.  :frown: I can see a joypad as a plus. Works great looking through the EVF IF you are a right eyed shooter. If not your face will be in the way as a lefty. The you can use your nose on the joypad!  :grimace:

I have had a Bunch of the Canon FF, APSH EoS 1D type bodies. I know all about joypads. Canon has had one for years and years on their Pro bodies. Not as easy to use as you would think with your face smashed up on the body. You sort of end up sticking your finger up your nose.