GH5S Sample Footage and Reviews

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Remember, S-LOG should be exposed differently to Cine 2 - at least 1 stop to the right.

That's why the Sony shots look too dark in Phil's test. But we'll forgive him. He has the flu!

What strikes me from that one is the colour on the GH5S is way better than Sony's default settings. The typical zombie yellow is there on the A7S II especially. That's what EOSHD Pro Color is for, as it fixes it.

20 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Just arrived:blush:

Jelly!

18 hours ago, jonpais said:

Why would someone bother to use a $2,500.00 production camera to shoot women taking selfies with their GM5 in harsh afternoon light? What a farce!

Because... why not?

Because it needed more cats in it?

12 hours ago, DBounce said:

or welding cats:grimace:

This I want to see. 

Sure to be an internet hit!

Because it has cats in it.

7 hours ago, ntblowz said:

A quick test between GH5S and C100MKII, both shot in 1080P 50P.

Is it real? GH5s looks so unnatural, plastic and ugly in comparison with c100. It seems as noise reduction totally destroy 3d skin tone. Is there something fake in this test?

4 hours ago, anonim said:

Is it real? GH5s looks so unnatural, plastic and ugly in comparison with c100. It seems as noise reduction totally destroy 3d skin tone. Is there something fake in this test?

Looks like hell in these images. The worst I have seen to date. Broken camera?... something is off.

• 2 weeks later...

@anonim Indeed. Thanks for posting! : ) From Fujinon glass... hehe Filippo, old dvxuser fellow and the filmmaker chosen by Panasonic to promote EVA1 from his footage skills, is one of the most delicious digital painters known by us geeks of a certain kind to offer the best each release he puts his hands-on.

This camera is a hit. Pity they had charged a premium 500 bucks though. No excuse will avoid you of that way as you wish anyways. I put my hopes on the upcoming a7SIII but I guess Panasonic will still be a most secure choice, no matter how much they will try to overcome certain issues as overheating a smaller tight camera design won't give so much room for.

LOL Man, when I will be hired by Panasonic you are next : D that is, if you won't enter before me, I would recommend that! :-)

Jokes aside, it is a beauty to see these cameras at this level to produce this outcome, no matter the manufacturer. Something you have with Panasonic though: they don't mind to implement in their lower level certain features presented in their high-end. Let's keep our hopes in high for their new 8K organic sensor! This attitude is truly valuable. It is worthy to bet on their system. Unfortunately not every camera maker act in the same way, here's an example to follow, so it rather is.

With a certain information from industry inside or the way they think their business for more than 25 years now, I'd say IMNSHO Sony and Canon (mainly since the C-line of products for the motion picture sector) are the more reluctant (not necessarily the most, especially Sony after their fasting when their Trinitron trump was over) to follow Panasonic's legacy for filmmaking. Better now in the digital realm than before but not yet at their level.

27 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Stunning footage. Case closed.

Not yet for me, unfortunately,  as niggard buyer :)

This was done with extremely showcase accuracy - everything was obviously at disposal: location, lights, objects, materials, 3500 $ lens with near highest possible discerning power.

Colors are supreme - at least for my taste and for that goal/character of image I'm searching for (neutrality type of Alexa's or Varicam like - and suspecting not to find in Fuji, as I so boringly wrote in other, new Fuji camera topic).

But face of the girl slightly or slightly+ lucks details - quality of colors and detailness are not top-notch balanced. Noise reduction is obviously very hard.

Not that I'm not impressed and highly content... but as extremely cautious buyer weighting for my money investment - I'll jump over GH5s. There's anything in this footage and circumstances GH5 couldn't done also. For this clip IBIS with Locked-option is enough. Used fujinon lens has only T2.9 - so ISO value here (and automatically activation of enormous NR even at -5 level of GH5s) had to be pretty high.

Come on Panasonic... just a GH5 and GH5s integration. As I wrote here - for my best consideration, GH5s was unnecessary and silly overpriced middle step. Maybe just to show excellent intention to devote user...

(GH5s price reductions in bundled offers started faster than any time earlier - in fact, immediately after base product showed up in the market.)

@anonim Location, lighting and subject are the basic prerequisites for a film. For his video, Filippo Chiesa did not use expensive cranes, jibs, gimbals, dollies or drones. No external recorder. No focus puller either (well, maybe). Only a couple of inexpensive LED lights which anyone can afford, a great location and a lovely girl. Maybe a smoke machine. This is far from an extravagant production. Just a great eye and talent. The dual gain architecture in the GH5s allows shooting at ISO 2500, resulting in much better color resolution and shadow detail without sacrificing dynamic range. Panasonic could not just issue a firmware update and magically transform your GH5 into a low light monster. You may cavil about the $500 premium for the multi-aspect sensor, but this is an example of extraordinary budget filmmaking. I will also go out on a limb and say this could very well have been shot with the Veydra Mini Primes. A Veydra zoom, if it existed, would easily run upwards of $3,500 or beyond. And many filmmakers prefer working with fast primes anyhow. If you think $2,500 is expensive, maybe you should consider another profession or charge more for your services.

33 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@anonim a great location and a lovely girl..

Yes, I thought precisely about that. It's not a joke.... Before me I have a shooting short film idea/scenario near 100% exactly congruent in atmosphere and changing-state-of-mind usage with that in Chiesa's footage (but with largely more massive metaphysical message pretension)... But I'm hardly struggling with appropriate locations - and that's what I thought mentioning great disposal circumstance. For stuffs as jibs, cranes and dollies I don't care - I'm not tending to shoot action or Pepsi movie.

What I suggest - it is just that quoted footage doesn't really need ISO value higher than 1600 - my finding is that up to iso 1600 there's no DR difference between 's or GH5 (except for better resolution of GH5), so I have no doubt it can be equally well accomplished with GH5 and matching grading (if necessary). And yes - Veydra Mini Primes or Voigtlanders are highly suited for task.

I'd like to have GH5s - but I'm stingy. For my needs GH5 simply has better value than GH5s. Temporarily idea of Panasonic is obviously to have both. But for price difference which is in fact much more than 500$ (regarding alternative market affordability) - I, as devote customer, can't justify it.

I'm sure naive - but I like to think that user/buyer base can at least tiny tiny little bit discipline manufacturer/seller. Price reduction of GH5s will maybe show it.

But not to be a weasel, I repeat although probably being wrong - most of us could accomplish highly-most of the tasks without GH5s lowlight or dual gain temporarily solution - which doesn't impress me yet in now existing incarnation.

Word. Some are only innocuous tests like the customary flowers, children and cats, though : )

On the hardware differences, there's nothing we can't obviously do but as already stated, nothing some other workaround gear may not solve within certain limits. For some reason we need to couple some piece of glass there to begin with ; )

Not really convinced there are substantial differences on the Dynamic Range level or even highlights rolloff. Dual ISO is there, is real and sweet, not mere marketing as I could read here by Sony clientele basis, despite that.

I believe the problem for the other fellow here or under that respective angle is not the 2500 mark but the difference (500 for the case but could be another one) the buyer doesn't feel like to afford. Not because the client can't or have no clue how to pay for it : D but certain principles still apply.

It is not a matter to discuss if a firmware will or not to overcome it. Panasonic followed Sony. Why? Is it possible to overwhelm that with the next upgrade GH6 series step? Only then? What about adjusting the price difference between both versions of the same camera model?

Well, to begin with, they are not actually the same camera, but two distinct ones. They share the same market range anyway.

Only a nonrestrictive strategy on the market segment or a new pricing policy might be the answer. However, as a few have already predicted, it is even possible their GHx series price will end higher once as you Jon have fairly pointed out now and many of us have been restless to defend here and everywhere: 2500 bucks is a no-brainer deal for what this acquisition device delivers at this level.

Last but not least, the prices are beyond the traditional 4/3" format framing because of their video abilities. The ease of cheap adapters to couple practically any single mount system also help this to happen. A certain thing is for sure though: they would have to rethink their margins if they would feel their competitors are coming tougher and closer to them. To my view, that's where they still end their decisions as far as we've seen on their GH5/GH5S dichotomy so far. Much more than large pixels size vs higher resolution sensor or lack of IBIS with ridiculous excuses or as you wish, they start or could end exactly there.