Jump to content

DJI Mavic Air


mkabi

Recommended Posts

Apparently the Mavic Air also doesn't have the D-Log. It Only has the D-Cinelike. I hope they Correct that with a Firmware. The Lesser Lowlight capabilites due to the Slower Aperture and the Higher Bitrate on the Air, could seriously use a Log profile. IMHO 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked a bit on the specs, it seems like a different sensor. It can do 2.7K at 60fps, best compromise for most people. It does FHD 120fps while the other Mavics 96. 100 vs 60 is a significant increase in bitrate. It is closer to Spark's size and weight, than anything else.

Now I am waiting for the old Mavic with the 1" camera, and we do business.

I am wondering where the Phantom series will go. The Air surely will eat up most (if not, all) of Mavic Pro's and Platinum's sales, so they have to come up with a 1" camera. Maybe they will keep the 1" camera for the Phantom series, and up their bitrate for the bigger Mavics. Exciting though, a 1" Mavic would be amazing even for most pro people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I am wondering where the Phantom series will go. The Air surely will eat up most (if not, all) of Mavic Pro's and Platinum's sales, so they have to come up with a 1" camera. Maybe they will keep the 1" camera for the Phantom series, and up their bitrate for the bigger Mavics. Exciting though, a 1" Mavic would be amazing even for most pro people.

Again, with the redesigned inbuilt gimbal - they could go into micro 4/3 territory in next phantom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Another possibility that I see in various 'rumors' is that the Phantom 5 will have a an interchangeable lens set up with the 1" sensor while the Mavic will have a fixed lens setup with a 1" sensor.

Theoretically... This sounds great. But, in reality, not so great... I know you are probably thinking mft mount or EF mount... But think about AF.... How will that work? Even if they do the interchangeable lens mount route it will be with their DL mount and proprietary lenses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Theoretically... This sounds great. But, in reality, not so great... I know you are probably thinking mft mount or EF mount... But think about AF.... How will that work? Even if they do the interchangeable lens mount route it will be with their DL mount and proprietary lenses. 

Well theoretically I am thinking that rather than going for a bigger sensor they will choose a smaller sensor with an interchangeable lens mount - a proprietary one rather like the Inspire. Af would be on sensor cdaf and pdaf I would guess. Here's the sort of rumor I am thinking about...

https://myfirstdrone.com/blog/phantom-5-rumors-everything-we-know

Maybe they would even throw in a variable ND!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Mavic Pro 2 comes with the Phantom camera that would be awesome. Last year at a drone conference I told a DJI VP why on earth are you not releasing either a Phantom that folds like a Mavic or a bigger Mavic with Phantom's camera. 
I told him we are tons of videographers and photographers out there who need maximum portability (in my case mountain trekking for days) combined with maximum image quality. 

The Phantom form factor did not evolve since version 1, many years ago. It is not relevant anymore. 

He answered "we are not sure there is a market demand for that". I told him well who on earth would prefer the actual P4 Pro versus the same drone but completely foldable? 

Mavic Pro 2 with 1" camera and 4K60P is an INSTAN buy for me. However I am very afraid of this: 
They will release a Mavic Pro 2 with all advancements of Mavic Air (more avoidance sensor, gesture control, ...) + keep the better range and flight time + bump the camera to 100mbps and 4K60P which I do not care. Give me 1". Even if a bit bigger. There is a world of difference between an Mavic Pro and Phantom today in size. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 8:40 PM, OliKMIA said:

Interesting, nothing is impossible with DJI. We'll find out soon.

 

4 hours ago, mkabi said:

I thought you said it was impossible???

Yeah, I know, I still believe it's very hard (impossible?) in a drone the size of the Mavic but I might be surprised. After all, they managed to build very small and light APS-C lense for the X7 on the Inspire II. If they come up with a one inch sensor on Mavic Pro II, I'll be the first one to be happy and you can public shame me here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 12:48 AM, wolf33d said:


They will release a Mavic Pro 2 with all advancements of Mavic Air (more avoidance sensor, gesture control, ...) + keep the better range and flight time + bump the camera to 100mbps and 4K60P which I do not care. Give me 1". Even if a bit bigger. There is a world of difference between an Mavic Pro and Phantom today in size. 

 

I think this is highly unlikely - it is essentially ending up with their most popular drone having no real advantage in its camera over the Mavic Air (apart from 4k 60p).

Personally I think we will see 1 inch sensors on both the Mavic Pro 2 and the P5. However the 1 inch on the Mavic Pro 2 will likely be fairly basic - 4k 30p, fixed 26mm lens, fixed aperture, etc. For the P5, I definitely expect a more travel friendly drone in terms of size and packing. And I think we will see all the high end 1 inch sensor capabilities (think RX100) and quite possibly custom prime lenses.

My next drone will certainly be with a 1 inch sensor. If the Mavic Pro 2 has one I will probably take even if it is not that advanced. If not, I will wait for the Phantom 5. One thing I feel pretty certain about is that DJI will come up with a product that will empty my wallet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I think this is highly unlikely - it is essentially ending up with their most popular drone having no real advantage in its camera over the Mavic Air (apart from 4k 60p).

Personally I think we will see 1 inch sensors on both the Mavic Pro 2 and the P5. However the 1 inch on the Mavic Pro 2 will likely be fairly basic - 4k 30p, fixed 26mm lens, fixed aperture, etc. For the P5, I definitely expect a more travel friendly drone in terms of size and packing. And I think we will see all the high end 1 inch sensor capabilities (think RX100) and quite possibly custom prime lenses.

My next drone will certainly be with a 1 inch sensor. If the Mavic Pro 2 has one I will probably take even if it is not that advanced. If not, I will wait for the Phantom 5. One thing I feel pretty certain about is that DJI will come up with a product that will empty my wallet.

Agree with you. I definitely want a 1in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...