Jump to content
Sage

GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

Thanks! Yeah the short you mentioned is called "Best-Seller", is now on some streaming services, also in youtube.

You are right, when watching this color, is very tempting to go for this look. But the B&W style was something i already decide in Pre-production. Is gonna take some time, I just made a first-cut, then come sound design, scoring and Mastering. But is looking neat!

I shoot in 4k, then down scale. Looks better and you can push it more in post.

Do you downscale before you edit or do you render out as 2K/1080p? Do you notice a major difference using GHA for B&W, opposed to regular VLog?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Do you downscale before you edit or do you render out as 2K/1080p? Do you notice a major difference using GHA for B&W, opposed to regular VLog?

I downscale in the final process when mastering. The GHA is a different approach, with LogC makes the GH5 more universal to work with, its a style i´m more used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 6:37 PM, Sage said:

Thanks Jonesy, that's the plan. There is a lot of ground to cover; I am laying the foundation for it now. Just got a new Alexa Classic last week, due to the early demise of the former

Before moving forward, I wanted to make sure the original work was fully defined, and V3 is really there

Honestly Sage, with what you’ve done with GHa, I really see no reason to even get the P4K. What you guys are getting out of the GHa is simply astonishing. IMO, why trade the production friendly elements of the GH5 for a minimal bump in IQ? But I guess from a business standpoint, it definitely makes sense for you to provide the Alexa look to the multitude of P4K owners... I’m sure they’ll go gaga over it.

One request... since you were forced to purchase a second Classic, please make and post an Alexa video... preferably a short narrative.

15 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

I downscale in the final process when mastering. The GHA is a different approach, with LogC makes the GH5 more universal to work with, its a style i´m more used to.

That makes sense. Didn’t you use CineLikeD with the GHa? Why’d you switch and what benefits are there to using VLog over CineLikeD? Is it just one less step or is there an IQ benefit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mercer said:

That makes sense. Didn’t you use CineLikeD with the GHa? Why’d you switch and what benefits are there to using VLog over CineLikeD? Is it just one less step or is there an IQ benefit?

No, I STILL use CineD, I shared the frames in Vlog just because is the more requested one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wild Ranger said:

I downscale in the final process when mastering. The GHA is a different approach, with LogC makes the GH5 more universal to work with, its a style i´m more used to.

I only asked because I felt the B&W actually has a different look than other B&W I’ve seen from the GH5, so I thought maybe you noticed a difference running it through GHA first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sage just so I understand correctly... sorry if this question has been repeated ad nauseum but if one shoots in CineLikeD, is there a free LogC conversion LUT, or am I just imagining that? From memory, it seems like you need to convert CineLikeD to VLog and then to LogC but I may be getting a few things compounded and confused?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dia3olik said:

so you converted these stills from CineD to Vlog?

Yes!

6 hours ago, mercer said:

I only asked because I felt the B&W actually has a different look than other B&W I’ve seen from the GH5, so I thought maybe you noticed a difference running it through GHA first.

Yes, it is different! Also it depends how you grade it. In know that maybe using the GHA lut for converting to LogC for doing B&W seems a waste, but I just like going this way. That's why i shared some stills in color, i wanted to see the result just by curiosity. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

Yes!

Yes, it is different! Also it depends how you grade it. In know that maybe using the GHA lut for converting to LogC for doing B&W seems a waste, but I just like going this way. That's why i shared some stills in color, i wanted to see the result just by curiosity. 😁

I think it’s a great workflow and I may be testing it with a lesser Panasonic camera very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wild Ranger said:

Hello everyone!

I'm been working in several projects lately, here i wanted to to show some still of a new short film i shot last week. The final look will be in black & white, but here i will put some stills in color with V3 and my grade. Also some Vlog stills.

That looks incredible! I love it.

@mirekti My bad, 176 is the one; 200 is GH5 All-I, and 220 is for 30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mercer said:

Honestly Sage, with what you’ve done with GHa, I really see no reason to even get the P4K. What you guys are getting out of the GHa is simply astonishing. IMO, why trade the production friendly elements of the GH5 for a minimal bump in IQ? But I guess from a business standpoint, it definitely makes sense for you to provide the Alexa look to the multitude of P4K owners... I’m sure they’ll go gaga over it.

One request... since you were forced to purchase a second Classic, please make and post an Alexa video... preferably a short narrative.

The P4K will really give a purist image; it has the benefit of extra highlight DR, lower noise, and clean codecs (the GH5 has slight banding in moving gradients with its best internal codec). When I don't need IBIS (float/shoulder/dolly), I'll opt for that one methinks

I always liked the ethos of BMD, to the point that I sent them requests to make the equivalent of the P4K for years (it is exactly the camera I had been describing, plus 120 which I never imagined they would get to) The GH5 came first, and with my GH2 it seemed like the m4/3 camera I had always requested from BMD, plus IBIS (which I didn't know I wanted)

Will do; incidentally I am shooting an Indian language film this weekend, my first production since Emotion II. I think I will bring the Alexa (at least to the first shoot) because the producer wants to use it (understandably). Also, I will be able to shoot a series of side-by-sides going forward, something with a bit more cinematic flair than the current GH5 SBSs

The BMD Micro was almost an interim camera for me, but I resisted. That is a very good idea, I want to support a micro budget cam, and that might be the one, with its 10 bit. I know I will get to the patched GH2.

There is a Cine-D freebie route to LogC of sorts. You can get the Cine-D to VLog Pre here, and then follow it with a VLog to LogC transform from Resolve CST (or equivalent)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sage I look forward to your Alexa footage. A side by side sounds like an interesting video to me.

And a BM Micro Emotive Color sounds like a great idea as well... especially for how much they’re selling for used right now. I believe the Pocket and Micro have been referred to as Mini Alexa’s in the past, so they could be perfect candidates for your treatment.

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest a GH2 version but I figured there was no way you’d be interested in that. My friend hung his 4K hat for a hacked GH2 for his next film, so there is still relevance there. 

And finally, I bought a refurbished G85 today because I really want to test your process with CineLikeD. I know it isn’t designed for that camera but it’s doubtful I will ever own a GH5 and this seems like a good compromise. But being a hobbyist, I’ll probably test the freebie method first and if it even moderately works, I’ll definitely be a customer. Are there any pointers for the freebie path, or do I follow the same set up/exposure instructions for V3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Wild Ranger said:

No, aún uso CineD, compartí los marcos en Vlog solo porque es el más solicitado.

Hello, congratulations for the work with the image of your last work;). Forgive my English as an XD translator. I would like you to explain the workflow and if you have learned or have learned something different from the GHAlex tips IN YOUR pdf. According to what you said, you recorded with CinelikeD (PARAMETERS?) And then you went to LogC? AS?. And about the grading, do you use premiere or Davinci ?. Also, if we take those images in Vlogl and use the GHAlex, the result is not the same.  A greeting.

------

Hola, enhorabuena por el trabajo con la imagen de tu último trabajo ;). Perdonar mi Ingles de traductor XD. Me gustaria que  explicases el flujo de trabajo y si variaste o has aprendido algo diferente de los consejos de GHAlex EN SUS pdf. Segun lo que has comentado, grabaste con CinelikeD (¿PARAMETROS?) ¿Y luego pasaste a LogC? ¿COMO?. Y sobre el etalonaje, ¿usas premiere o Davinci?. Ademas, si cogemos esas imagenes en Vlogl y usamos el GHAlex, el resultado no es el mismo. Un saludo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mercer Yes, the GH2 patched is a must, as a throwback (kept mine). I will support Smooth, all -2, with Flowmotion 2.2 as the recommended patch

With the freebie route, it would be three conversions in sequence, with the grade following: EC Cine-D to VLog -> CST VLog to LogC -> Arri R709 (from the Arri generator). And the same exposure and set up as V3

That'll put things in the neighborhood - the revelation with the freebie route is that the VLog conversion precisely reproduces Panasonic's VLog add-on (with the pdf settings for Cine-D on GH5). Granted that you picked up a G85 for it, I'd recommend getting GHa Daylight as an all-rounder. The G85 is a black box to me, but now that I know you have it, perhaps I can support it directly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mirekti said:

@Sage Any chance of GH5S profile or still the same status quo? BTW Do you need a clear summer day when you work on the profile or you do it in a studio?

Working on the website as fast as I can (the primary reason is to support the S and P4K). This is the best possible news for S owners ;) Not working on the GH5 at the moment, but there will be more news there once the S is addressed.

I need a spotlessly clear, *sunny day. Many layers will be worn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sage said:

@mercer Yes, the GH2 patched is a must, as a throwback (kept mine). I will support Smooth, all -2, with Flowmotion 2.2 as the recommended patch

With the freebie route, it would be three conversions in sequence, with the grade following: EC Cine-D to VLog -> CST VLog to LogC -> Arri R709 (from the Arri generator). And the same exposure and set up as V3

That'll put things in the neighborhood - the revelation with the freebie route is that the VLog conversion precisely reproduces Panasonic's VLog add-on (with the pdf settings for Cine-D on GH5). Granted that you picked up a G85 for it, I'd recommend getting GHa Daylight as an all-rounder. The G85 is a black box to me, but now that I know you have it, perhaps I can support it directly

The GH2 version sounds excellent! I REALLY look forward to that. Hell, I may buy a few used ones now because I’ll bet their value goes up when you start supporting them.

Thanks for the workflow tips with CineLikeD. As I said, I’ll just use the freebie route once to test it with the G85. It would be great if you support it, I’d imagine the G85 would be a great B-Cam for the GH5... let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

As I’ve said before, I love my 5D3... somebody will have to rip it from my cold, dead hands before I switch to another camera for my “serious” projects. But I also have a bunch of ideas for small, short films that I would probably never get to with the 5D3... but with a G85, I can throw a c-mount on it, toss it in the backseat, hop on a train and create some content... it will be my glovebox hybrid cam for photos and micro short films. If I can get half of what Wild Ranger is getting out of his GH5, it will work perfectly for my needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mercer said:

The GH2 version sounds excellent! I REALLY look forward to that. Hell, I may buy a few used ones now because I’ll bet their value goes up when you start supporting them.

Thanks for the workflow tips with CineLikeD. As I said, I’ll just use the freebie route once to test it with the G85. It would be great if you support it, I’d imagine the G85 would be a great B-Cam for the GH5... let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

As I’ve said before, I love my 5D3... somebody will have to rip it from my cold, dead hands before I switch to another camera for my “serious” projects. But I also have a bunch of ideas for small, short films that I would probably never get to with the 5D3 but with a G85, I can throw a c-mount on it, toss it in the backseat, hop on a train and create some content... it will be my glovebox hybrid cam for photos and short films. And if I can get half of Wild Ranger is getting out of his GH5, it will work perfectly for my needs.

Indeed there is - when I've got some free time (after P4K/S), if you sent it to me for a week (when there is clear weather), I'd be able to support it directly thereafter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...