Jump to content
Sage

GH5 to Alexa Conversion

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I love The Witch, it was one of the best horror films I saw in a while. So it’s interesting to see how you can emulate it. 

I’ll have to reread this thread because some of the phrases and features I missed. 

If I didn’t have my 5D3, and had a GH5, I’d definitely be a customer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I loved the slow burn of the film and as you said the atmosphere. I also love the lens choices and obviously the color. But I agree that the end was... an end... but even with that, the climax up to the resolution felt a little rushed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mercer said:

Btw, @Wild Ranger I recently saw your short film Record on YouTube and I really have to say what a great piece of work that was. That short alone could keep people in the GH5s camp instead of buying a P4K. Great images, great story and excellent directorial choices!!!

It’s definitely one of the best low budget short films I’ve seen in a while. 

Thanks @mercer comments and opinions about one's  work are always very appreciated! 😁

6 hours ago, Sage said:

Its true though, that there is a lot that goes into the magic of a cinematic image. I've seen some visually terrible Alexa films shared on forums; those were funny and eye-opening, because they reveal that the Alexa can only do so much for a production.

That's the real magic of making films and other stuff, you have know how to put all the elements together, pretty images are only that... pretty images.

I have shoot a feature during 3 years with a Nikon D7100 and D5300, and also a couple of super 16mm cans (Fuji Eterna); and I'm pretty satisfied with how the film end up looking. But It's also the hole production value that's in there that make the film look nice, not only the camera.

I think what you have made with this luts is great, it' just give some really nice color to the GH5, and i'm not really that picky if it's 110% accurate, for me it's just works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

Thanks @mercer comments and opinions about one's  work are always very appreciated! 😁

They’re well deserved. I loved how you used the practical flickering lights to break up the shots and acting of the screaming actor.

That’s a difficult scene to play for any actor and by breaking it up you built story tension and allowed your actors’ talent at physical acting to play without going overboard.

And damn, that was some nice color work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mercer said:

If I didn’t have my 5D3, and had a GH5, I’d definitely be a customer.

If I had the 5D3, I'd support it! Perhaps I may yet (though it definitely has better native color than the GH5)

My favorite was 'Short-Cut' - I showed it to my coworker, who is a runner ; )

 

David L'Abbée just sent these from tonight:

P1022156.00_03_08_22.Still006.thumb.jpg.d5957b04b98461e1fe239c951a690001.jpgP1022156.00_04_57_06.Still007.thumb.jpg.5569452e721cd3e5c48bfa8372adfeb6.jpgP1022156.00_03_31_09.Still014.thumb.jpg.f5596f5a76c718ff28e549359db024fd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sage said:

If I had the 5D3, I'd support it! Perhaps I may yet (though it definitely has better native color than the GH5)

My favorite was 'Short-Cut' - I showed it to my coworker, who is a runner ; )

 

David L'Abbée just sent these from tonight:

P1022156.00_03_08_22.Still006.thumb.jpg.d5957b04b98461e1fe239c951a690001.jpgP1022156.00_04_57_06.Still007.thumb.jpg.5569452e721cd3e5c48bfa8372adfeb6.jpgP1022156.00_03_31_09.Still014.thumb.jpg.f5596f5a76c718ff28e549359db024fd.jpg

Yeah that’s another excellent short @Wild Ranger ... simple concept with smart ideas. You should look into submitting to Eli Roth’s Crypt TV, I think they have a submission call going on right now.

Are you using Sage’s LUTS with the GH5s in these shorts?

@Sage if you ever get a 5D3, you’ll be blown away by ML Raw. And if you’re capable of creating processing apps to convert the footage from MLV to CDNG or ProRes, I’m sure a LogC curve, before the render, would be epic. I find Canon color responds nicely to low strength Arri LUTS already, so with your skills... Check out the MLV App to get an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mercer said:

Is the LogC curve similar to BMDFilm? A few of the samples remind me more of Ursa footage.

Yes! (More on this later this year) Its decidedly closer than GH5 V-Log

1 hour ago, mercer said:

@Sage if you ever get a 5D3, you’ll be blown away by ML Raw. And if you’re capable of creating processing apps to convert the footage from MLV to CDNG or ProRes, I’m sure a LogC curve, before the render, would be epic. I find Canon color responds nicely to low strength Arri LUTS already, so with your skills... Check out the MLV App to get an idea.

ML Raw operates entirely from the SD card right?

As it is a high quality format, I think a conversion might be in order (My aim is to focus on 10 bit or higher)

What is your workflow like? Do you currently convert to ProRes?

 

Another, very different image form David (he noted these were just Daylight Soft with some adjustments for exposure):

P1022156.00_05_33_13.Still032.thumb.jpg.8161b9bd19b6deac6bdba8c977b2247d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JeremyDulac said:

Not sure if ya’ll saw, but you can now shoot raw stills with vlog-l. Meaning i can use my video workflow for color grading now! Whoot!!

I heard that, and I'm thrilled about that (I ended up shooting VLog bursts at a stills shoot)

I'm also terrified that they may have altered the color science to match the S.

I'm going to do a measurement pre and post to confirm or deny whether this is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sage said:

Yes! (More on this later this year) Its decidedly closer than GH5 V-Log

ML Raw operates entirely from the SD card right?

As it is a high quality format, I think a conversion might be in order (My aim is to focus on 10 bit or higher)

What is your workflow like? Do you currently convert to ProRes?

 

Another, very different image form David (he noted these were just Daylight Soft with some adjustments for exposure):

P1022156.00_05_33_13.Still032.thumb.jpg.8161b9bd19b6deac6bdba8c977b2247d.jpg

Yes, you upload ML onto an SD card, then the FW is updated in camera. With the 5D3, you can leave the SD card in the camera and record to CF but the camera will recognize the ML firmware every time you power on. With other ML capable cameras that only use SD, you have to have the ML firmware on every single SD card you record to.

Yeah I try to get to ProRes as fast as possible. There are a few steps but nothing drastic. So far the easiest way is through that MLV App where I can do some basic Raw changes and then export as a Log ProRes file. It does have a LogC option that works pretty well with LogC to Rec709 LUTS.

A4E5720A-BD21-44A4-9D0A-3E7A83A52077.thumb.jpeg.82c2a90abfafaf8e2a4a3cf42661356f.jpeg575194BF-B639-4213-A50D-67C6AB730BF1.thumb.jpeg.d0101457944a9a4c7e1a31a14fb4007c.jpeg

These were done using the LogC curve in that MLV App. 

Great GH5 image from David!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

Would that mean they altered it for video shooting also?

Yes, if its the case. Though they didn't mention any change to color in the update list, so maybe its only a rumor (I hope)

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Yes, you upload ML onto an SD card, then the FW is updated in camera. With the 5D3, you can leave the SD card in the camera and record to CF but the camera will recognize the ML firmware every time you power on. With other ML capable cameras that only use SD, you have to have the ML firmware on every single SD card you record to.

Yeah I try to get to ProRes as fast as possible. There are a few steps but nothing drastic. So far the easiest way is through that MLV App where I can do some basic Raw changes and then export as a Log ProRes file. It does have a LogC option that works pretty well with LogC to Rec709 LUTS.

A4E5720A-BD21-44A4-9D0A-3E7A83A52077.thumb.jpeg.82c2a90abfafaf8e2a4a3cf42661356f.jpeg575194BF-B639-4213-A50D-67C6AB730BF1.thumb.jpeg.d0101457944a9a4c7e1a31a14fb4007c.jpeg

These were done using the LogC curve in that MLV App. 

Great GH5 image from David!!!

They look solid! I'll see if I can track one down to measure.

The GH5 work has certainly paved the way for it

3 hours ago, JeremyDulac said:

Much better exposure on this shot..and applied grain differently to just mids and highlights...also and differet more neutral print lut

Lynds_Dean_1.1.5.png

Lynds_Dean_1.1.6.png

Untitled_1.1.7.png

Untitled_1.1.8.png

I just find the color so stunning hehe. I like that more neutral print.

I am of course a fanatic of the native EC, as I had tailored it to be my dream color base. It just looks so good here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've viewed this thread on my 10.5" Ipad, and have to say, wow!  MU better.

My desktop is Win7 PC, color manged via Xrite i1 Photo Pro kit, using an NECPA272W.

I am a long time stills experienced.

I don't understand why it's so different.

I have the color settings in Firefox set, and the test sites all confirm.

Strange...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, buggz said:

I've viewed this thread on my 10.5" Ipad, and have to say, wow!  MU better.

Ah, thats good to hear. Apple has done a great job of bringing quality screen performance to all of their product lines (with the exception of the Mac Air). You can count on cross-checking color on Retina screens at the Mac store  : ) (I'm a PC person)

Its tricky, because the perception of the work largely depends on so many factors that are out of my control

An aside: I've found that streaming video in Firefox decidedly has the worst color (I've sent them a report). Edge/Explorer/Safari are best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah tell me about it. This is what I edit and color with. It can be pretty aggravating. 

Ouch. Yea, I've got one too - I wrote that response on it :) At least it's a lot better than other laptops - my work laptop is pure blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...