Metabones Speedbooster Ultra or XL on GH5?

A Furry Peanut

I've looked everywhere online and so far all I got was XL for full frame lenses and Ultra for Full Frame and APS-C lenses which is a good start I guess. As someone who really likes having a lot light to work with (even if it may not be "used" I like to know it's there), is it worth to step down to the ultra for the extra selection of lenses? Everyone on YouTube seems to lean towards the XL on the GH5 while on the forums everyone seems to lean towards the Ultra. Some insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, A Furry Peanut said:

I've looked everywhere online and so far all I got was XL for full frame lenses and Ultra for Full Frame and APS-C lenses which is a good start I guess. As someone who really likes having a lot light to work with (even if it may not be "used" I like to know it's there), is it worth to step down to the ultra for the extra selection of lenses? Everyone on YouTube seems to lean towards the XL on the GH5 while on the forums everyone seems to lean towards the Ultra. Some insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

The XL can cause vignetting on some lenses given the GH5's 2x crop factor.  Get the Ultra .71 version instead.  The XL works on the GH4 and its greater than 2x crop factor in 4k mode.

XL was designed for GH4. Many users already had the XL and they bought the GH5, so you see the XL used more often. While XL accomplished its original mission and still did great with full frame lenses, GH5 had bigger coverage to begin with, having no 4k crop at all, and on top of that you need to give a little headroom for the IBIS to operate. You don't want an entire stripe of black to come up every now and then when you handhold (with XL and APS-C lens). If you don't want IBIS why didn't we stick with GH4? Everyone seems to be using the Sigma 18-35/1.8 and on GH5 an ULTRA is required. Of course XL if you use only full frame lenses.

I don't have a metabones but they say

GH5, XL or ULTRA?

In a nutshell, we recommend XL for full frame lenses and ULTRA for DX/APS-C lenses. For the long story, read the 'limitations' column.

On GH5, Speed Booster XL can be used with full frame lenses only. DX lenses are unable to cover full-sensor-width readout + in-body image stabilizer (IBIS).

which means you should find the lenses you're thinking about first, then the adaptor to fit. Are there aps-c / DX lenses you really want to use? Or is there a list of just FF lenses you're thinking about.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

which means you should find the lenses you're thinking about first, then the adaptor to fit. Are there aps-c / DX lenses you really want to use? Or is there a list of just FF lenses you're thinking about.

There's also crop mode 4k (Ex Tele) on the GH5 if you're really stuck. 

I have the XL and have never regretted it. However, I only have full frame glass to start with. If and when I want to get a bigger "crop", I just use the "Ex. Tele Conv."-function. I am going to try an EF-S lens this week which I plan to use with the "Ex. Tele Conv."-function so I get roughly a 1.8x crop. That should be fine since EF-S are meant to be used with 1.6x crop sensors if I'm not mistaken. 

15 hours ago, conurus said:

XL was designed for GH4. Many users already had the XL and they bought the GH5, so you see the XL used more often. While XL accomplished its original mission and still did great with full frame lenses, GH5 had bigger coverage to begin with, having no 4k crop at all, and on top of that you need to give a little headroom for the IBIS to operate. You don't want an entire stripe of black to come up every now and then when you handhold (with XL and APS-C lens). If you don't want IBIS why didn't we stick with GH4? Everyone seems to be using the Sigma 18-35/1.8 and on GH5 an ULTRA is required. Of course XL if you use only full frame lenses.

What do you mean by "giving the IBIS a little headroom to operate"? Have people actually gotten entire stripes of black with APS-C and the XL, or is this what you think would happen? This was new to me. 

18 hours ago, Jonathan Clifford Bergqvist said:

What do you mean by "giving the IBIS a little headroom to operate"? Have people actually gotten entire stripes of black with APS-C and the XL, or is this what you think would happen? This was new to me. 

From what I have seen (there are Youtube videos of this), the xl and sigma 18-35mm experience vignetting around the 18-20mm, I'm guessing this is because the sigma 18-35mm is for aps-c and the xl is for full frame hence the vignetting. 

On 6/3/2017 at 11:52 PM, Orangenz said:

I don't really have any particular lens that I want to use

On 6/4/2017 at 5:24 PM, Jonathan Clifford Bergqvist said:

Since the sensor moves for IBIS to work you will see vignetting as the sensor moves toward the corner of the lens.

The focal reduction on the XL is  .64 and the increased speed of the lens 1 1/3 stops....the focal reduction on the Ultra is .71 and the increased speed of the lens is 1 stop

the Xl gives you the fastest lens and widest FOV ("biggest sensor") possible...you will get some vignette with s35 lenses, with IBIS on... Can be cropped in post and will still give you the widest FOV possible....it does not vignette on FF lenses.

The Ultra can be used with no vignette  on either s35 or FF, but is a narrower FOV and a 1/3 of a stop slower.

Ideally with an unlimited budget and a large collection of lenses, you would own both.

For me, the widest possible FOV and the extra 1/3 stop in speed outweighs the occasional cropping that has to be done in post to remove any vignette get on s35 glass...a 1/3 of a stop can mean the difference between getting a satisfactory shot in low light or not...it is not insignificant by any means.....your priorities may be different.

How about a medium format to m4/3 0.4x? :grimace:

Seriously though, the GH5 has so many options depending on which glass you mainly own. If you mainly rent, just rent the different adapters along with.

If you have FF glass, get the 0.64x XL. I did that and it works great. You can punch in to 1.4x TC mode too ;) 

If you have Aps-c glass, get the 0.71x ultra. If you have PL s35 glass and you are going from PL-EF-m4/3, make sure the lens actually fits with the metabones optics, or smashy smashy.

If you have s16/16mm glass, get the c-mount/PL/arri to m4/3 you need and punch in with that TC (either 1.4x or 2x, depending on the image circle of your particular lens). 

Follow up on my post. I just bought my first EF-S to use with the GH5 + Speed Booster XL combo. Canon EF-S 10-18, usable from 12-18, so roughly 16 mm full frame equivalent @ its widest range. I didn't fint any good alternatives in that price range (roughly 230 euro), but I didn't look that hard.. I use the same at work with C100 and it works like a charm + is small and light + stabilizer. 

There's some more info in the description on vimeo. 

• 7 months later...
On 04/06/2017 at 2:07 AM, DVP said:

The XL can cause vignetting on some lenses given the GH5's 2x crop factor.  Get the Ultra .71 version instead.  The XL works on the GH4 and its greater than 2x crop factor in 4k mode.

Why don't you stop down the aperture to get rid of the vignetting with APS-C lenses?

On 03/06/2017 at 2:22 AM, A Furry Peanut said:

Why don't you stop down the aperture to get rid of the vignetting with APS-C lenses? then you could use the XL.

On 05/06/2017 at 12:01 AM, Andrew Reid said:

XL with full frame lenses.

Ultra with APS-C, otherwise on the XL + APS-C lenses you will get vignetting, regardless of IBIS.

Why don't you stop down the aperture to get rid of the vignetting with APS-C lenses (smaller and cheaper)? 

There are for  and against comments on using the XL speedbooster as opposed to the Ultra on the GH5 if you use Apsc lenses...firstly what does the extra 1/3 of mean as you go higher in ISO....it's the difference between shooting ISO 3200 and ISO 4266...maybe the difference in getting a usable shot or not...secondly the XL will give you the maximum FOV period....if you move the camera a lot, it may vignette....you can crop in post till it dissapears....that crop will still be wider than the Ultra...I use an XL with both a Sigma 18-35 and a Tokina 11-16, and as I prefer a camera whose presence is largely unnoticed (I move cameras as little as possible) I get no vignette in 16x9 AR....if you did get vignetting, however slight, you can always zoom slightly on the lens...as the wide end on M4/3 is sought after, and fast and wide is expensive, why not use the widest possible FOV and fastest lens and do a little post?...everything digital requires post....why is a slight crop difficult?...the reality is it's one of the easiest thing to do on a NLE system....so again, IMO the choice between the two is a no brainer....it's the XL speedbooster...my interest however is narrative....for fast turnaround adding an extra stop in post may be impractical....where you control the environment though I'd say the choice is clear...

• Super Members
On 2017-06-05 at 6:02 PM, A Furry Peanut said:

I'm guessing this is because the sigma 18-35mm is for aps-c

Its made for APS-H. Most recent Sigma ART lenses are.

On 2017-06-06 at 9:08 PM, Kurtisso said:

How about a medium format to m4/3 0.4x? :grimace:

There is the Metabones Devil with x0.5 to Pentax Q. Gives 0.666 aperture :)
So maybe MF to MFT is possible.

And there is of course the MF to FF that gives x0.7 crop.
If they ever release the Leica M to Fuji one could tack them MF to M (x0.7) to X (another x0.7). In theory at least.