Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

This last paragraph recalls this video here (and that meaningful statement pronounced on minute 1:27):

What about to take that thing of settings seriously?

I doubt he may find the same outcome going with sharpness dialed at the lowest end of the range, as for instance.

Actually, taking appearances seriously instead (see minute 1:22 for example and those ugly shadows in the wall as merely from bad lighting) can be an illusive bitch to the eyes BTW...

There should surely be sweet spots for AF usage, as well.

The signs are out there: it is just the way to follow them. Straight out of the box? Hard to find their miracles.

I've never seen moire as bad with the GH5 as he shows in his video, but I shoot only 4K. Something seems odd though in his video. Toward the end he shoot in 4K50p, and the stutter as he pans is really bad. I'm not sure why that should be, it should present smoother motion. Who knows what transcoding errors he's done too and the video was only uploaded in HD for some reason. Considering my experience with this as pretty much a non-issue, and the rarity of others complaining about it, I don't put a whole of credence in this.

21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow that video sure did have some ugly Moire, and he has a eh,eh Long Legged wife! Is Moire really that bad?? That would be a total deal breaker if you do fashion, or architectural work.

No, webrunner, it's not as bad as he shows. Otherwise we'd be hearing rants all over the internet. It would be right up there with the AF. ;)

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
54 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I've never seen moire as bad with the GH5 as he shows in his video, but I shoot only 4K. Something seems odd though in his video. Toward the end he shoot in 4K50p, and the stutter as he pans is really bad. I'm not sure why that should be, it should present smoother motion. Who knows what transcoding errors he's done too and the video was only uploaded in HD for some reason. Considering my experience with this as pretty much a non-issue, and the rarity of others complaining about it, I don't put a whole of credence in this.

No, webrunner, it's not as bad as he shows. Otherwise we'd be hearing rants all over the internet. It would be right up there with the AF. ;)

Ken, but can anyone take that guy for serious? ; )

1) What sharpness settings to begin with?

2) Most part of his footage is HFR 1080p;

3) YT comments disabled;

4) Look the way he shows off the wife...

As much as his clueless lighting and hablando del rey de Roma, things really require much more effort (I'd dare to add my comment as inferred above-posted).

13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I would think yes the 6k photo mode might be one of the main reasons I would get one myself. I do like to do birding photos and video of them. And yes I also see a big improvement in the image quality and the colors from peoples videos. Nice.

But not sure if the Olympus EM1 mkII might even be better for birding?? I had a EMI, that was a heck of a camera. But I would hate to give up the Video capabilities of the GH5. So probably would not buy a EM1 mkII.

The EM1 MKII is better for sure, but the GH5 narrowed that gap by a large chunk so that from an overall perspective you're better off with the GH5. And I've been a longtime Olympus user ( since the E1)

B

9 hours ago, Ken Ross said:

That is among the ugliest footage I've seen from any camera online - who cares what this guy thinks, he can't even shoot.

On 1.5.2017 at 11:22 PM, mercer said:

So, now that the GH5 has been out for over a month, what is the verdict from the early adopters? I have heard so many mixed reviews and have seen a lot of videos from people saying they are returning their GH5, I am curious to know from the EOS HD community. BH has even had a half dozen used GH5s for sale and they are still selling it for preorder? It's actually rather strange that one of the biggest camera stores in the world hasn't gotten any GH5s in stock, but that's neither here nor there.

Part of me wants to buy one and the other part says... meh ML Raw looks way better. If the GH5 was selling for $1500 or $1600, I probably would buy one, but at $2000... I'm not so sure, even though I have an upcoming short that it would be perfect for. 

The color is similar to the GX85 and G85, but with Cine D and V-log it's better I think. I need to shoot more but for now I'm very pleased with the results I've been getting with 10-bit 25p v-log. In post I use the Leeming lut as base and grade from there. Grading from scratch is doable and a nice way to get better at grading. 

The camera is very much as I expected, a big upgrade from the GH4 with all the new features from the GX85/G85 and more. It's not going to compete with BM, Canon and Sony for DR, RAW, low light etc, but who was really expecting that? It's an amazing camera for the money, but you can get better images less money (I know you know that).

If you don't plan to shoot v-log, 4K 60p, anamorphic or slow motion I would probably recommend the G85 for less than half the price.  

It's more power hungry though, so you need at least 2 batteries.

Note that I shoot with Panasonic cameras because the image is good enough for me and I think it's the most complete system for my needs: reliability, price, size, weight, ergonomics, lens choice etc.

1 hour ago, Fatalfury said:

Anybody know when the camera will be finally available to buy in Europe and UK? 

It is already... https://geizhals.eu/?cat=dcamsp&xf=516_Panasonic&asuch=GH5&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=n

UK, e.g. http://www.wexphotographic.com/search/?q=GH5&search_type=All , https://www.ukdigital.co.uk/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5-body.html

I could walk out of my door, go to a store and pick one up in person as we speak.

4 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:
On 5/1/2017 at 4:22 PM, mercer said:

The color is similar to the GX85 and G85, but with Cine D and V-log it's better I think. I need to shoot more but for now I'm very pleased with the results I've been getting with 10-bit 25p v-log. In post I use the Leeming lut as base and grade from there. Grading from scratch is doable and a nice way to get better at grading. 

Yes...I use the Leeming LUT exactly like you do...the only thing I "disagree" with him a little on is in the exposure....he provides a bit of a manual for use with his LUTs (which as far as I know no one else does...though in fairness I've not used Andrews procolor or Luke's LUTS and they may do also)....anyway in terms of exposure he suggests ETTR which in most cases work, but under trying circumstances nothing beats a good spot/incident lightmeter. But it's really only a problem when you have an extremely bright source in the shot....relative to the rest. Anyway, once I started using his LUT in the GH4 the camera became a different beast!

27 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I could walk out of my door, go to a store and pick one up in person as we speak.

In the US they are flying off the shelf....B&H already sold out of 2 shipments and the next stock is expected May 4th...mine should ship from Hot Rod Camera sometime today or tomorrow!

21 hours ago, Emanuel said:

This last paragraph recalls this video here (and that meaningful statement pronounced on minute 1:27):

What about to take that thing of settings seriously?

I doubt he may find the same outcome going with sharpness dialed at the lowest end of the range, as for instance.

Actually, taking appearances seriously instead (see minute 1:22 for example and those ugly shadows in the wall as merely from bad lighting) can be an illusive bitch to the eyes BTW...

There should surely be sweet spots for AF usage, as well.

The signs are out there: it is just the way to follow them. Straight out of the box? Hard to find their miracles.

There's only so much fiddling with settings can achieve if the tech isn't quite there in the first place. There's a ton of videos and posts where people explore the autofucus settings of the GH5 and everyone pretty much comes to the same conclusion. Sure, there's a sweetspot for AF usage but at that sweetspot the autofocus is still no way near the competition.

I really like the GH5 but if i ever needed good reliable AF on a paid job where retakes might not be possible i would leave the GH5 at home.

53 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Yes...I use the Leeming LUT exactly like you do...the only thing I "disagree" with him a little on is in the exposure....he provides a bit of a manual for use with his LUTs (which as far as I know no one else does...though in fairness I've not used Andrews procolor or Luke's LUTS and they may do also)....anyway in terms of exposure he suggests ETTR which in most cases work, but under trying circumstances nothing beats a good spot/incident lightmeter. But it's really only a problem when you have an extremely bright source in the shot....relative to the rest. Anyway, once I started using his LUT in the GH4 the camera became a different beast!

Yeah, I have experienced that myself a few times with the Cine D lut. When I have used the v-log lut the results have been very good every time.

53 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

In the US they are flying off the shelf....B&H already sold out of 2 shipments and the next stock is expected May 4th...mine should ship from Hot Rod Camera sometime today or tomorrow!

In Norway they're in stock everywhere and has been for a couple of weeks. Excited to hear how you like the camera!

1 hour ago, Fritz Pierre said:

[..]

I guess you guys have got more clientele per store over there. Hell, I even bought from B&H once (when the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 was 99 bucks). I guess if you have a bit more local business there, you might have better odds, that's why I'm not really into pre-ordering, unless doing so makes you eligible for certain perks (like a freebie (memory card, battery grip, etc)). But this time around, I'm just waiting for a possible 12-35mm II kit to drop? If it's like the Leica 12-60, you can save up to 300 bucks by getting the kit. The 12-60 Leica is the same kind of money as the 12-35mm II. But we kinda know the 12-35mm II is primarily a little cosmetic upgrade, the iris should be smoother and I guess the Dual I.S. 2.0 compatibility is a marketing ploy to get you upgrading from the old one. Believe in some instances the older one seems to perform better optically? That's interesting. Anyways, 999,- I find quite the stretch, not sure the value is there at that price. At 300,- off (that's like almost the price of the battery grip or XLR unit), count me in. And while I wait for that to happen, or not... there's also the upcoming FW upgrades! I don't see much use in getting a better bitdepth, but then sticking to 150Mbps, so... it's like even more compressed. So, as soon as the 400Mbps drops, count me in! Gives me a little more time to make some more memories with the old cameras before selling them off.

sorry was being a tad facetious - mainly doubting the reliability of any af system - if it was an important paying job and I needed to get focus 1st go I would put my money towards a focus puller rather than rent another camera and hope af worked everytime

18 hours ago, Vesku said:

Does the GH5 minimum shutter speed and auto iso range/limiter settings work when shooting video?

I don't use auto but can confirm you can set the ISO range even while recording -- when you press the ISO button, one of the dials sets the upper ISO limit while the other the ISO itself, including switch to AUTO if so desired. I wish I could assign the dial by the LCD for the ISO adjustment, much like how it works on 5D, without need to press any button first at all. Right now, the dial does nothing in video mode and isn't assignable either.