Lumix 12-35 or Oly 12-40 on G80

vulgatron

Thanks Ricardo, I'll add the Flycam Nano to my Wishlist ;)

I'll be using it alongside the IBIS so hopefully add the 35mm I'll be steady enough. I'll be doing mostly interviews and also some run&gun and events in location. The flicker issue I guess it can be deal with as I don't usually zoom while recording and the 4k crop can be helpful there. So I guess im leaning towards the smaller footprint and DUAL IS of the Pana.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've had both lenses (currently have the 12-35 on my G85 and previously had the 12-40 on my EM1) and I can't tell any difference in IQ. They are both great. In reviews the 12-40 seems to have the edge at certain focal lengths but really there's not much it.

I tried both lenses a week or so ago when I bought the G85 and the 12-35 just sits on the camera better as it's a bit smaller ... feels right so I opted to buy it over the 12-40. 

The 12-35 gives you dual IS as has been mentioned and works very nicely. No micro jitters at all. Probably not EM1ii stable (but nothing is) but very very stable indeed. Even the 35-100 @ 100 is super stable hand held for video using Dual IS.

The 12-40 focuses closer and is probably more rugged, however I remember a few of those falling apart too :) The 12-35 is rugged enough and splash proof anyway.

The extra 5mm doesn't really matter too much for me.

Both great lenses but I'd go for the 12-35 is using it on a G85.

Cheers.

I am in the same boat as well -
The 12-40 or the 12-35 for my G80.
I was settled on the Oly...but without trying either lens. Mainly because of the Panny flickering and the focus ring feature on the Oly
My main use is video. I guess there are no other than to try both lenses out and see what works for me.

Cheers, for sharing

12 hours ago, Ricardo Constantino said:

This is all with Lumix G7 and the 12-35mm.

The shots that don't appear to be on steadycam are handheld (all of them) with post zoom ins and outs (plus warp stabilizer) so for me hands down on the O.I.S of this lens which is super great and probably better with Dual-OIS.

While you zoom in with the lens there are 3 (or 4) stages throught the zoom that you see a flicker (sorta like going brighter) but only when you zooming slowly. If you plan on doing works where you have to zoom in quite slow you'll definitely see it.

Great shots!

What did you use to color grade?
I have quite the same setup: I have some problems to attach the G7 to my flycam since the quickrelease plate I have is too big for the camera, so I have to attach it directly, but it is time consuming. What do you use for your? :)

1 hour ago, vulgatron said:

finally found a great deal on a 12-35 and went for it! Looking forward to try it out! Thanks everyone for your help, at the end although the Oly seemed to have a slight advantage the smaller size and dual IS won the contest for me. 

You won't regret it!

It is a great multi-purpose quality mid range lens, and the resell value is great as well!

2 hours ago, vulgatron said:

finally found a great deal on a 12-35 and went for it! Looking forward to try it out! Thanks everyone for your help, at the end although the Oly seemed to have a slight advantage the smaller size and dual IS won the contest for me. 

Can you share the price and place you found it please? Thanks

On 19/12/2016 at 2:29 PM, vulgatron said:

Very nice video Ricardo, very impressive. May I ask which steady did you use?

Also what about the jittering problem have you noticed any? Regarding the flicker I guess if I plan things right I can shoot 4k and then crop from there...

Cinegain was incorrect. The 12-35 has always had the best IS of all the pany lenses. No doubt somewhere in the back of his mind he was thinking of the 35-100 on the jitter issue.

Nope, google '12-35 jitter'. Tons of hits. Just not sure if it's still there. There's firmware updates and such to deal with those things. Also... it seem some people have had the issue and others do not.

- yeah, seems like firmware dealt with that for the biggest part (although some say it isn't 'fixed' but turned into 'minor'/'considerably less' jitter only), from what I've gathered they didn't seem to address the same issue on the 35-100mm with firmware, which probably makes 'em night and day now.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, I happen to be in this same predicament right now. Trying to choose between these 2 lenses for my GH5. Has there been any development on the micro jitters issue? Newer/better firmware? I honestly don't know that I need the additional stabilization of the Lumix unless it really is "that much better." 

Also, does the Oly natively communicate focal length with the GH5? It's a pain having to change that in the camera. 

Is the auto focus of one better than the other?

I would lean toward the Oly due to the extra focal length and better focussing ring. I am going to be shooting a feature length doc with lots of handheld, so if that extra stability is that much better and there are no issues with micro jitter then I'd go that way. Otherwise I think I'd go with the Olympus. Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I was in two different local camera shops checking out the G85 and Olympus 12-40mm and 40-150mm Pro lenses.
In both stores one thing that I noticed and has put me off about the lenses was a slight play/movement between the lens and camera body.  
Has anyone else that has one or both of those lenses on a G85 noticed this?

10 hours ago, Nowisee said:

I was in two different local camera shops checking out the G85 and Olympus 12-40mm and 40-150mm Pro lenses.
In both stores one thing that I noticed and has put me off about the lenses was a slight play/movement between the lens and camera body.  

my 12-40 is tight on my gh5

@vulgatron Most interviews I've seen maintain one or at most two focal lengths throughout the interview, and usually they're not shot with a wide angle zoom. Also, I don't think an AF lens is necessary at all for an interview, in fact, it's a negative in my opinion. I would go with a longer focal length, preferably a prime lens. Personally, if you absolutely needed to go AF, I'd go with a modestly priced Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7. If you've got the budget for a two-camera setup, you can get the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN. The longer focal length will produce much more pleasing perspective and out of focus backgrounds. Total cost for the two lenses will be equal to or less than the cost of one 12-40mm or 12-35mm zoom. 

17 hours ago, Nowisee said:

Are you sitting on the lenses or just resting your elbow on them?

On 12/19/2016 at 7:51 PM, Dean said:

I've had both lenses (currently have the 12-35 on my G85 and previously had the 12-40 on my EM1) and I can't tell any difference in IQ. They are both great. In reviews the 12-40 seems to have the edge at certain focal lengths but really there's not much it.

I tried both lenses a week or so ago when I bought the G85 and the 12-35 just sits on the camera better as it's a bit smaller ... feels right so I opted to buy it over the 12-40. 

The 12-35 gives you dual IS as has been mentioned and works very nicely. No micro jitters at all. Probably not EM1ii stable (but nothing is) but very very stable indeed. Even the 35-100 @ 100 is super stable hand held for video using Dual IS.

The 12-40 focuses closer and is probably more rugged, however I remember a few of those falling apart too :) The 12-35 is rugged enough and splash proof anyway.

The extra 5mm doesn't really matter too much for me.

Both great lenses but I'd go for the 12-35 is using it on a G85.

Cheers.

Hey Dean, did you notice any fit issues, any movement with the 12-40mm Pro on the G85? 

20 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Are you sitting on the lenses or just resting your elbow on them?

No at all a helpful reply...and you're a moderator?

1 hour ago, Nowisee said:

Hey Dean, did you notice any fit issues, any movement with the 12-40mm Pro on the G85? 

No at all a helpful reply...and you're a moderator?

What exactly are you doing to make the lens jiggle? Did the salesmen also acknowledge that there was play between the lenses and the camera bodies? Were the lenses and bodies new or used? Was the G85 your own or the shop's? Do you own other Panasonic bodies and lenses? Did you compare to the Panasonic 12-35? When you attached the lenses, did you twist them until they locked? Are you absolutely certain that what you were experiencing wasn't the sensor moving?

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

I presume it's just rotational play not off axis. This is not uncommon across all camera systems and will not affect the image. 

Yes, rotational play.  Ok, I imagine not all manufacturer lenses mate well with all bodies, but more than I would consider reasonable for that cost.

Did not experience it with the same G85 and the 12-35mm or 35-100mm Panasonic lenses in the same store. 

The "salesman" acknowledged the play and said the pin on the Panny is smaller than the hole on the Oly lens.  It was consistent with 2 different cameras and 4 different lenses.
I'll check all this out at another store this weekend if I have time.  

Just trying to ask others with this same set up if they notice it happening on theirs.

21 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

Yes, rotational play.  Ok, I imagine not all manufacturer lenses mate well with all bodies, but more than I would consider reasonable for that cost.

Did not experience it with the same G85 and the 12-35mm or 35-100mm Panasonic lenses in the same store. 

The "salesman" acknowledged the play and said the pin on the Panny is smaller than the hole on the Oly lens.  It was consistent with 2 different cameras and 4 different lenses.
I'll check all this out at another store this weekend if I have time.  

Just trying to ask others with this same set up if they notice it happening on theirs.

I have the Olympus 12-100mm. It has more 'rotational play' on my Panansonic G7 and GX85 than my other lenses (more so on the G7 than the GX85). The 12-32mm Panasonic is particularly tight in comparison. I remember the same kind of 'play' when I had the 85mm Samyang lens so not just an Oly thing, but certainly a thing. It doesn't affect image quality, afaik.